Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/8/2016 4:58:49 AM EDT
Hi guys and gals

I purchased a new stripped lower recently. Filled out the 4473 and everything with the dealer. My question is: Being that MI requires pistols to be registered, if I want to assemble the lower into a pistol, do I have to have the word "pistol" engraved on the lower? Also, since the lower didn't specify itself as a rifle or a pistol, on the 4473, am I even legally able to make it into a pistol, or do I have to get a lower that starts out as a pistol? I don't want to be charged with making an illegal SBR by putting a pistol upper on what they consider to be a rifle lower. Lastly, assuming I'm good to go on making it into a pistol, would I just fill out a MI transfer/registration card as if I'm buying it from myself, and put in the relevant data concerning caliber, barrel length, etc?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:58:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi guys and gals

I purchased a new stripped lower recently. Filled out the 4473 and everything with the dealer. My question is: Being that MI requires pistols to be registered, if I want to assemble the lower into a pistol, do I have to have the word "pistol" engraved on the lower?

No special markings required

Also, since the lower didn't specify itself as a rifle or a pistol, on the 4473, am I even legally able to make it into a pistol, or do I have to get a lower that starts out as a pistol? I don't want to be charged with making an illegal SBR by putting a pistol upper on what they consider to be a rifle lower.

You're fine. A bare reciever gets transferred as 'other' on the 4473.

Lastly, assuming I'm good to go on making it into a pistol, would I just fill out a MI transfer/registration card as if I'm buying it from myself, and put in the relevant data concerning caliber, barrel length, etc?

Correct

Thanks
View Quote

So what are you putting together?
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi guys and gals

I purchased a new stripped lower recently. Filled out the 4473 and everything with the dealer. My question is: Being that MI requires pistols to be registered, if I want to assemble the lower into a pistol, do I have to have the word "pistol" engraved on the lower?

No special markings required

Also, since the lower didn't specify itself as a rifle or a pistol, on the 4473, am I even legally able to make it into a pistol, or do I have to get a lower that starts out as a pistol? I don't want to be charged with making an illegal SBR by putting a pistol upper on what they consider to be a rifle lower.

You're fine. A bare reciever gets transferred as 'other' on the 4473.

Lastly, assuming I'm good to go on making it into a pistol, would I just fill out a MI transfer/registration card as if I'm buying it from myself, and put in the relevant data concerning caliber, barrel length, etc?

Correct

Thanks

Mostly this.

No engraving or marking is required. You won't be making an illegal SBR as long as you do not put a stock on it. The difference between a rifle and a pistol is the ability to fire it from the shoulder.

If you have a CPL, all you need to do is submit an RI-60 to your local LE department within 10 days of the final assembly into a pistol.

If you do not have a CPL, you'll need to visit your local LE department for an Application/License to Purchase a Pistol (RI-10) prior to final assembly into a pistol. You have 30 days from the date you obtain the RI-10 to complete the final assembly and submit the form back to your local LE department. Even if you do not build a pistol, the RI-10 must be returned within 30 days and inform them that no pistol was acquired. You can reapply for an RI-10 at a later date. Bloomfield Twp has a good description of the process for acquiring a pistol.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Mostly this.

No engraving or marking is required. You won't be making an illegal SBR as long as you do not put a stock on it. The difference between a rifle and a pistol is the ability to fire it from the shoulder.

If you have a CPL, all you need to do is submit an RI-60 to your local LE department within 10 days of the final assembly into a pistol.

If you do not have a CPL, you'll need to visit your local LE department for an Application/License to Purchase a Pistol (RI-10) prior to final assembly into a pistol. You have 30 days from the date you obtain the RI-10 to complete the final assembly and submit the form back to your local LE department. Even if you do not build a pistol, the RI-10 must be returned within 30 days and inform them that no pistol was acquired. You can reapply for an RI-10 at a later date. Bloomfield Twp has a good description of the process for acquiring a pistol.
View Quote

This probably the most easy and most simply articulate explanation I have ever read here on the matter.

Thank you for your service.

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This probably the most easy and most simply articulate explanation I have ever read here on the matter.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mostly this.

Thanks. I always do my best to quote and provide a link to any laws I reference. I do my best to explain the laws as simply as possible.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info, will be doing a build this week.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Once you make a striped lower into a pistol can you reconfigure it into a rifle and then back into a pistol at will?
Or dose it have to remain a pistol? Can you sell it as a rifle without a RI 60? Hate to get my tit in a ringer.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Once you make a striped lower into a pistol can you reconfigure it into a rifle and then back into a pistol at will?
Or dose it have to remain a pistol? Yes & No, people register as pistol while waiting for their SBR tax stamp. Once built as a rifle always a rifle or so I've heard repeatedly but then pistol grip shotguns and all that. Can you sell it as a rifle without a RI 60? Hate to get my tit in a ringer. Yes, write to MSP and have them remove it from the registry with explanation.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top