Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2016 11:47:29 AM EDT
My long term plan (next 3-4 years) is to buy a house in the thumb and have a small gunsmith business (I have my mil retirement, this is more to stay busy and make beer/vacation money by doing little stuff like mounting scopes, maybe get a sonic cleaner, that kind of stuff). What I don't know, and am having trouble finding, is how do I check the local laws on shooting on private land, short of going around and asking each township and hoping the person I speak to isn't talking out of their ass.

I would like to berm off a little 100 yard shooting range. I'm going to make sure that's done properly and safely. But is there a website or agency I can talk to to find out local laws on noise and shooting?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Visit the township web pages and look for the ordinances and general laws/rules.  There should be something about discharging, distance from structure, size of land, etc in there somewhere.

The real small townships do not have great websites, then you're going to have to go there and ask them for copies of these rules.

Some towns have very very specific set of requirements.... others don't have anything on the books yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Some may only have a noise ordinance. Guns going off make noise unless it's suppressed
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some may only have a noise ordinance. Guns going off make noise unless it's suppressed
View Quote

A lot of noise ordinances have a time frame, and it's usually at night. Others say only a certain dB at the nearest property line.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Guns are specifically exempt from the noise ordinance in my township
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 3:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

A lot of noise ordinances have a time frame, and it's usually at night. Others say only a certain dB at the nearest property line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

11 pm to 8am in my township.

But any noise that bothers neighbors is a civil offense with a $50 first time offense.
My neighbor let's his beagle beagle, I let my guns be guns. Guess what, shat's starting to happen.
Dogs barking are specifically mentioned though

I have a 1000 acre's of National Forest behind me also
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Never rely on the townships up there, too many people getting elected that don't even qualify for the job their after.

But be careful of the county folks too.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#7]
All shooting must be done at least 150 yards from the neighbor's residence. Unless your range was established prior to the implementation of the Michigan State "grandfather clause", that protected pre-existing ranges from closure under noise pollution complaints, your neighbors may petition for relief. They can come after you on several fronts, through direct legal action or code enforcement and county/city commissioners.  

9:00 a.m. or 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. is considered reasonable by most neighbors, weekend shooting causes the most complaints, people want to enjoy their days off without WWIII going on next door. My gun club was challenged even though it's been at it's present location over 70 years. The neighbors wanted peace and quite on the weekends, which is our busiest days. The neighbors lost, but it hasn't been fun or even rewarding to the club to prevail.

Unhappy neighbors aren't a good thing. Indoor shooting facilities rarely generate any noise whatsoever, something to consider should you want to go into business. The thumb area has lots of open land and few cities to deal with. It would be close enough to the larger population centers to be useable without too much driving. Online sales can be conducted anywhere even the most remote locations. Having an online presence will allow for more economic activity than would otherwise occur in Michigan's thumb area.

Link Posted: 9/10/2016 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
All shooting must be done at least 150 yards from the neighbor's residence. Unless your range was established prior to the implementation of the Michigan State "grandfather clause", that protected pre-existing ranges from closure under noise pollution complaints, your neighbors may petition for relief. They can come after you on several fronts, through direct legal action or code enforcement and county/city commissioners.  

9:00 a.m. or 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. is considered reasonable by most neighbors, weekend shooting causes the most complaints, people want to enjoy their days off without WWIII going on next door. My gun club was challenged even though it's been at it's present location over 70 years. The neighbors wanted peace and quite on the weekends, which is our busiest days. The neighbors lost, but it hasn't been fun or even rewarding to the club to prevail.

Unhappy neighbors aren't a good thing. Indoor shooting facilities rarely generate any noise whatsoever, something to consider should you want to go into business. The thumb area has lots of open land and few cities to deal with. It would be close enough to the larger population centers to be useable without too much driving. Online sales can be conducted anywhere even the most remote locations. Having an online presence will allow for more economic activity than would otherwise occur in Michigan's thumb area.

View Quote

Good advice, but I don't want to run a range. I just want shoot up old appliances without Fudd interference.
Link Posted: 9/10/2016 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Good advice, but I don't want to run a range. I just want shoot up old appliances without Fudd interference.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the mention of Gunsmith business and range in the same post means commercial range . A private range is not restricted by the law  mentioned above unless I missed it ?
Page 111
https://www.legislature.mi.gov/Publications/Firearms.pdf
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:37:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

150 yard rule is a hunting rule.  Only applies to when hunting.  It applies to not only firearms, but also bows, crossbows, etc.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need law numbers you are citing. DNR laws are for hunting not for target shooting on your property.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top