Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 3:56:50 PM EDT
There was a Raccoon walking through our yard this morning.  It appeared to be drunk, but I just assumed it had been injured or was poisened.  I thought it was strange to see one during the day, as I thought they were more active at night, but I didn't  put anymore  thought into it.

It was walking very clumsily and fell over a few times.  I thought for a second that maybe I should dispatch it, but didn't  know  all the legal aspects of doing that.

It just now dawned on me that maybe it's  strange behavior was caused by rabies.  How do  raccoons with rabies behave?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Like you just described. But there are other diseases and old age that can make them act like that. Either way that coon was sick or injured. If you see it again call Animal Control.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There was a Raccoon walking through our yard this morning.  It appeared to be drunk, but I just assumed it had been injured or was poisened.  I thought it was strange to see one during the day, as I thought they were more active at night, but I didn't  put anymore  thought into it.

It was walking very clumsily and fell over a few times.  I thought for a second that maybe I should dispatch it, but didn't  know  all the legal aspects of doing that.

It just now dawned on me that maybe it's  strange behavior was caused by rabies.  How do  raccoons with rabies behave?
View Quote

They are active during the daytime. Normal 'coon activity is nocturnal
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If he was stumbling/bumping into stuff your best bet is rabies

It could be distemper or something lose, but it's best to go worse case scenario for that

I killed a possum in my neighbors yard about 20 years ago (with a shovel), stumbling around at 1 in the afternoon, he turned out to have rabies

Depending on where you are you may be good to go, but if your in the city it's likely that discharge ring a firearm will end poorly.
Serious Airgun or bow may be options, but it depends on your neighbors
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

You described how they act when they have Distemper. We had prob 50 calls like this last year and the Human Society/Animal Control advised that it was Distemper and NOT rabies, which have a different set of symptoms. At any rate the raccoon is dead on its feet and can still be dangerous with distemper.

J-
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't care what they have, if there's a raccoon in my yard-I'm shooting it. If its on the road I'll swerve to run it over.     I hate those destructive bastards.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
#1 raccoons are cool  but yes they can be destructive.

The raccoon strain of rabies is not in MI. MI raccoons with rabies have usually gotten it from a bat.

The one you describe likely has distemper. Some raccoons with a good food source, like if people feed them, will come out during the day.

Distemper will kill them slow and painfully.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top