Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2016 11:16:54 PM EDT
Have a friend wanting to purchase his first handgun. He is up north around Auburn Hills, but location doesn't matter much to him.

Around here, I'd just send him to an Academy sports as they are always reasonable prices for a retail shop.

Where is a decent place around there that will have a selection of M&P, Glock, Ruger handguns for a fair retail price?
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Field & Stream in Troy, retail
Double Action in Madison Hts, retail
GunBarn 2 in Livonia, best deal

Have him join Migunowners forum, best source of information and VERY active Marketplace http://www.migunowners.org/forum/content.php
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:23:53 AM EDT
[#2]
In addition to postban's list:
Bass Pro Shops at Great Lakes Crossing Mall in Auburn Hills
Target Sports in Orchard Lake
Motor City Gun Works in Keego Harbor
Target Sports in Royal Oak
Close Quarters Tactical in Utica
Gander Mountain in Utica
Action Impact in Southfield
Firing Line in Westland
Cabela's in Dundee
Cabela's in Saginaw

Does he have a MI concealed pistol license (CPL)? Either way, if this is his first handgun experience in MI, I'd suggest going to an FFL vs. a private sale. That way, the FFL will be able to make sure the MI RI-60 Pistol Registration forms are filled out correctly and tell him what to do with them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys - sent him this info.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Firing Line in Westland, those assholes will never see dime from me. They treated my son and I like total shit. Rude, arrogant, nose down.

And most of them are LE or previous LE.

Fuck them.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Another vote for GB2 in Livonia.

I think shooters went Tango Uniform in Livonia, right? They were horrible, absolutely horrible. Too many DEVGRU guys working there and too many "all you need to do is rack this baby and the intruder is running" guys working there peddling higher than new prices for used guns and TAPGO UTG shit.

Gun prices in are, I think, are way too high in our area. Have your buddy find one and use a local FFL and save a bunch of money.

Good deals at Dunhams, often, but don't tell anyone.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Firing Line in Westland, those assholes will never see dime from me. They treated my son and I like total shit. Rude, arrogant, nose down.

And most of them are LE or previous LE.

Fuck them.

View Quote

This.  They really are assholes.

Bonus: I called about a 100th anniversary 1911 and they said they had one, new.  I got there and looked at it and I swear the bushing and end of the slide looked like they took a pair of channellocks to it to remove the bushing for some reason.

I'm sure Top Gun down in Taylor appreciated the extra business.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Field & Stream in Troy, retail
Double Action in Madison Hts, retail
GunBarn 2 in Livonia, best deal

Have him join Migunowners forum, best source of information and VERY active Marketplace http://www.migunowners.org/forum/content.php
View Quote

I second this, he should definitely visit the Migunowners forum.  I've scored some great deals there.
Dunham's has good sale prices.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Just scored a 44 Bulldog off MGO, and a trade with another member at the same McDonalds
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#9]
What the heck you guys? He's in Auburn Hills. Livonia?  Westland? He'll burn more in gas driving there than what he'll save.

FALARAK send him to Bass Pro (IN Auburn Hills) or Geno's tools and guns in Waterford.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What the heck you guys? He's in Auburn Hills. Livonia?  Westland? He'll burn more in gas driving there than what he'll save.

FALARAK send him to Bass Pro (IN Auburn Hills) or Geno's tools and guns in Waterford.

View Quote

If you call first, and they have what you want in stock, I think its worth the drive. Sometimes shopping around is part of the fun. You get to visit other gun stores.

I've seen Bass Pro pricing and have to differ with your thoughts on savings. Firing Line is 35miles from Bass Pro. So, round trip 70miles. Average 15MPH x $2.40 per gal= $11.20 in fuel costs. I've seen plenty of firearms at Bass Pro priced way over that compared to others. So, the drive may be worth it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Not out of the question, I have driven distances to check out gun stores too. Just wanted OP to know that closer options existed and that 35 miles can suck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll throw out some of the newer stores, Accurate Firearms in Clarkston, Oakland Arms in Howell and Ann Arbor Arms.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'll throw out some of the newer stores, Accurate Firearms in Clarkston, Oakland Arms in Howell and Ann Arbor Arms.
View Quote

Came here to post these three as well. Oakland Tactical is right up an Arfcommer's alley for EBRs. Good selection of handguns, but not the brands your friend wants. Accurate may have more of those brands. A3 was interesting the one time I made it in there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Your talking from a store not someone's car right?

I have always been treated well at Double Action in Madison Heights.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#15]
If he's n auburn hills he could go to the range at bald mountain,
They have an extremely large selection of handguns in the pro shop, and the prices didn't seem to look to bad

Michigun in st Clair shores is a pretty decent shop too
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Came here to post these three as well. Oakland Tactical is right up an Arfcommer's alley for EBRs. Good selection of handguns, but not the brands your friend wants. Accurate may have more of those brands. A3 was interesting the one time I made it in there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Accurate's a nice place. Still need to visit OA and AAA.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They have an extremely large selection of handguns in the pro shop, and the prices didn't seem to look to bad

View Quote

I must have been the only one to get awful service there. Every time I went in, I got treated like boot scrapings after a walk through a cow pasture. So I stopped going there.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. If you have BRD, you should take a designated credit card holder when you visit Oakland Tactical!
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:34:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Have him talk to Motor City Gun Works in Keego.  Great guys and very low prices.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#20]
The guy is pretty cool,
I spent about an hour in there talking to him one day,
Turned out were deployed to some of the same places at the same times
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:16:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have him talk to Motor City Gun Works in Keego.  Great guys and very low prices.
View Quote

Used to live on Pine Lake back in the day, close to my old stomping grounds..should take a trip back out that way and check them out.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Where they at in Keego? Off the main drag? I fell in love with the area and almost bought a house there ten years ago.

Edit: Nevermind, I Googled them and found their website... They're "behind the Dairy Queen" so I can get a Blizzard after I go touch guns.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I must have been the only one to get awful service there. Every time I went in, I got treated like boot scrapings after a walk through a cow pasture. So I stopped going there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only you - I went there just one time and nobody wanted to help me, then they were very dismissive and told me they were trying to close up early (it was hours before their normal closing time and there were a few employees in there.)  I had cash in hand that day too.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Another one to try is Genos Tools and Guns in Waterford.

They are much closer to AH than the others and they are really super friendly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top