Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2016 1:27:44 AM EDT
I have a few long guns in my safe and have had many of them for 20+ years. I just happened to be thinking I have a couple that have never had a projectile through the bore. Anyone else out there have a virgin gun or two? I built an AR 6 years ago with a quad rail forend and light barrel that has never fired a round. I also bought a rifled barrel for my 870 that has never seen a shell. I know I am not the most prolific shooter out there, but I just haven't had the opportunity or a place to go try them out. Maybe I should start a 12 step program for those of us who don't shoot very often?

"Hi, my name is Zero5Delta and I'm a Range-A-Holic..."

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I've pulled the trigger on all mine, except the newest......which is the hoes gun, so it don't count.  Most of them don't make it home without going bang

On the other hand, I have at least 8 unfinished, unusable project guns awaiting inspiration.  Gung-ho starts turned to withered dreams.
Thousands invested, some are registered Michigan Rifle/Pistols, FAL, AR's, 870's, SLP, 10/22....I should finish some
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:41:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I knew there had to be someone out there with at least one weapon that hasn't been fired. There is no shame in admitting that. Many of us just don't have as much time to go shooting or hunting which I think is one contributing factor. Funding also seems to limit my range time. When I spend my money on parts, ammo and supplies it leaves litttle for range membership dues - some of these clubs are very difficult to get into. I think finding a place to shoot is the biggest limitation for me. I grew up in another state and when I was younger I knew people who had farmland who I could get permission from to go shoot. I worked as a gunsmith for a few years in the 90's at a class III dealer and there was a range in the store. Then, I got all the trigger time I was able to afford - ammo costs for an MK 760 were steep at 700 rpm - a 32 round mag went pretty quick even shooting 3 round bursts. When I moved I left the gunsmith business and there went my range access. Lived in the people's republic of New York for ten years, so had to sell the MK. I should have had it put in a safe deposit box seeing what they go for now. (I had less than 900.00 in it including the tax stamp - now they are worth a few thousand.).

Now that I am retired I have time but little money or access to a range. That's the way life goes, I suppose.

We can't be the only two ... can we?
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:17:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Browning  BPS 20ga I won in a raffle 4 or 5 years ago I haven't fired yet.  I just haven't been able to make plans with any friends to shoot some clays.  Other than that, I have an AR with a BCM mid-length upper from that same period that hasn't been fired.  After my first AR build, I got a bad case of BRD and pieced together a bunch of rifles one after another.  It somehow escaped test firing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 or 4 that meet that description  
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 5 or 6.

A buddy was unloading a bunch of stuff cheap, so I bought a few guns from him and never got around to shooting them.  He was hurting for cash and was going to sell them to the gun store.  I wasn't really looking for any of them, but they were cheap, and he ended up making more than selling them to the gun store.  I'll probably shoot them eventually, but I don;t have a lot of free time so when I do hit the range I just bring a couple of my favorites.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I have come to the conclusion that I'm not alone in this after all. I am glad all of you have the courage to admit this - I would be willing to bet there are a lot more out there who either haven't read this thread yet, or they have some hang-up about it. Before I retired I had money but no time, now I have time but little money, which tells me that I may not be unlike a lot of people out there. Some are fortunate to have time and money coinciding with opportunity to go shooting and having a place to do so. I keep reminding myself of a quote from Uncle Ted - "You can't do this in France!", so I suppose I need to expend more effort and get out and enjoy my sport because no one can do that for me.

Regards to my fellow Michigan Arfcommers!

Zero5Delta
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one.  But then, I bought it yesterday.  At least half my guns were used when I bought them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope.  Everything I fire usually gets a test drive at my parents house the day of.  They have plenty of land and neighbors who also shoot.  I live in a snooty neighborhood unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#9]
a few
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Most of my handguns have not been fired. All of my long guns except for my latest build (2 years ago) have been fired
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:16:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a shotgun that has never been fired. Other than that, everything has been out to the range a couple times.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an L1A1 like that.  I bought it in 2002 but I was living in Taxachusetts and then I built my AR10 and it was so accurate that I sold that L1A1 and a CETME when the prices were high after Sandy Hook.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top