Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2016 11:14:12 PM EDT
Hey fokks, my fiance and I found a house we like for sale that is move in ready that fits our needs and wants for every aspect, except for possibly the schools. Now we dont have kids yet, but also plan on being in this house for a few years, should we make an offer. We have driven around the neighbor hood, talkd to a few people and its very nice. Just north of 94 and west of 275. How are the schools? The rating/reviews have all been terrible to OK at best. We understand that its 6-7 years out, but want to be prepared as best as possible. Just looking for some insight, we like the area and have been here for 3 years, but the school part never occured to me. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I was looking at houses in Belleville too.  

They have some section 8 housing and the houses I was looking at were in the vicinity.  I passed.

I would want to make sure my kids weren't going to the same schools.

Are there any charter schools that would be a good alternative?
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was looking at houses in Belleville too.  

They have some section 8 housing and the houses I was looking at were in the vicinity.  I passed.

I would want to make sure my kids weren't going to the same schools.

Are there any charter schools that would be a good alternative?
View Quote

I don't know of any district without Section 8 being a possibility.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#3]
My sister lived nearby (Ypsi) south of 94. Sent the girls to a charter school. Both did very well, one is going back to UM this fall.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Schools are sheite.

Home school the kids.

Hannan or Huron River Drive?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#5]
For what its worth......I have friends who live in Belleville..  Their kids went to Milan (school of choice maybe?)  I never asked why but probably because of the reasons stated by the others here.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 5:19:57 PM EDT
[#6]
We looked that way because we liked the elbow room but the schools werent the greatest.

here is a decent map based reference of school district ratings

michigan top to bottom school rankings

Saline to the west has great schools.

We ended up moving to Grosse Ile. This place is amazing. Live on an small town island community, lowest crime, rated safest place to live in Michigan many years, fantastic schools for the kids always in the top 10%, relatively close to everything.Home prices will be higher but you can get nice homes for less than 200K.

www.grosseile.com/index.php

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Grosse+Ile+Township,+MI/@42.1378655,-83.2237857,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x883b3bc4e3f9ec55:0xa8b755d2c8ea7843!8m2!3d42.1290753!4d-83.1445904]
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Also check out white lake if its not too far. About 50 north of Bellville.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For what its worth......I have friends who live in Belleville..  Their kids went to Milan (school of choice maybe?)  I never asked why but probably because of the reasons stated by the others here.
View Quote

We live S. of Ypsi and go to church in Belleville.  Our church has a program to help (very) at risk kids in Bellville schools.  I'm not sure you will escape that issue no matter where you go.  But I can tell you this:

My kids go to Milan via school of choice.  Friends of ours at church whose home district is Airport go to Milan.  We all love Milan. For a public school it is top notch.  179 in the graduating class,  26 Summa Cum Laude (3.90+ GPA w/ 4 or more AP classes),  4 Magna Cum Laude (3.90+ GPA w/ 2 or 3 AP classes), 15 Cum Laude (3.75-3.89 GPA) , and 26 w/ Honors (3.5-3.74 GPA).  71 out of 179 kids with a 3.5+ GPA.  6 going to U of M and one to Harvard this year.  On the sports front they also have top notch football and basketball teams.  It's a more rural community so on the whole it's a fairly conservative environment.  In our giant neighborhood there are about 20+ kids going to Milan.  They have lots of school of choice kids for a reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top