Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2016 9:43:00 PM EDT
SOS has not been helpful, so maybe some LE can help. I bought a Lang 60 last year and I asked state commercial guy in my town about needing a trailer plate, he said no, not until you haul stuff with it. Only thing that goes in the basket is wood for smoking. However one of my buddies got a ticket last week for no trqiler plate. He plans to fight it. So with a comp coming up this weekend do I need to get a trailer plate? Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had this problem as well towing a 500kw trailer mount generator from sunbelt rental got pulled over no ticket though. My father is a Detroit Sgt and says its a piece of equipment no plate needed. Now MSP commercial officer says need a plate since it is equipment bolted to trailer. I asked why my tow behind log splitter or towable compressor doesn't need plate because it is a log splitter or compressor with wheels and a hitch not bolted to a trailer. Good luck just pay the money for permanent plate and be done with it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, the bbq is not on a triler per se but the trailer part is actually part of the bbq. With wheels mounted under. Wonder if I could get a plate in same day
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, the bbq is not on a triler per se but the trailer part is actually part of the bbq. With wheels mounted under. Wonder if I could get a plate in same day
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What vehicles are exempt from Michigan's titling and registering requirements?

MI SoS Trailer Information

"Trailer" defined in MI law
"Trailer" means every vehicle with or without motive power, other than a pole-trailer, designed for carrying property or persons and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that no part of its weight rests upon the towing vehicle. Trailer does not include any implement of husbandry.

MI Vehicle Registration Fees
(l) For each pole trailer, semitrailer, trailer coach, or trailer, the tax shall be assessed according to the following schedule of empty weights:

Empty weights Tax
0 to 2,499 pounds................................ $ 75.00

I can't find any exceptions for equipment unless it's husbandry equipment. I would register it and be done with it. It's $75 to register it and you can pick up the plate the same day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top