Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 7:44:37 PM EDT
My car has taken a crap and I'm not sure what repairs will run me, they could potentially exceed the value of the car, I won't know until the mechanic can look at it Monday.  If that is the case I will need a new car emergency quick, and unfortunately my budget is basically nill.  Cash for clunkers destroyed the bottom end of the used car market so now it seems to be near impossible to get anything running for anyhing close to my poor college student budget.  Does anyone have any leads? My only requirments are that it can get me from point A to point B for work and school and light errands if I need to run them like getting Groceries.  It must also have working heat and a defroster, and must have no known issues that would prevent reliable operation and not risk leaving me broken down in traffic or stuck on the side of the road and be able to run without major (more than about $100) repairs, or lots of costly nickle and dime stuff (I emphasize again that I am a poor college student who can't even afford ammo for range trips anymore), for about 18 months, other than that I don't really care, it's all a bonus.  My budget is around $700 out the door tops and that is if I stretch it to the breaking point and spend money I really can't spare, realistically it is even less.  Probably mission impossible, but that's what it is.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
$700 and reliable? Watch Craigslist like a hawk and you might get lucky. Otherwise, I hope you know how to turn a wrench.

Poor college student? I always pictured you as the elderly guy who yells at kids for playing music too loud  
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Uber and Lyft in your area.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:47:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Check this place out if you have not already found something
I bought a 2003 grand am for $700. it ran great and needed nothing

http://voaautoauction.org/
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check this place out if you have not already found something
I bought a 2003 grand am for $700. it ran great and needed nothing

http://voaautoauction.org/
View Quote

It's a bit of a drive, but try http://bid.bidnow.us/cgi-bin/mncal.cgi?albrecht in Vassar or CL in the thumb.

edit: sorry, didn't read all of the OP.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Nvm I'm in GR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top