Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2016 9:38:35 PM EDT
I may have some time to take the kayak for a short trip late summer, early fall.  Been to the UP and Muskingum area many times.  I am looking for a place mid state that may hold northern pike, is fishable by kayak, and is easily accessible (public landing, hotels within 30min, etc)

Any one care to point me in a direction?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Rifle River State Park (Rose City/West Branch) is nice. Its a no motor lake(s). Some small/medium size bass and pike. Nothing special but a beautiful lake to kayak. The river is there also.

The Au Sable isn't far. There's Loud Dam Pond, Cooke Dam Pond, and Foote Dam Pond to fish. All not far from Oscoda/Tawas.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hmnf/recarea/?recid=18538
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Au Sable isn't far. There's Loud Dam Pond, Cooke Dam Pond, and Foote Dam Pond to fish. All not far from Oscoda/Tawas.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/hmnf/recarea/?recid=18538
View Quote

Alcona Park is a nice campground on Alcona Dam Pond. There's no hotels in Glennie though. Probably have to go to at least Mio (~30 mins.) for hotels.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Reedsburg Dam near Houghton Lake used to have some decent fishing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you, Sirs!  I have been in that area of the state before.  I will look into these more and make some arrangements!  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#5]
the lower side of Cook Dam in Oscoda.  Caught a LOT of pike on the side opposite of the little launch.  Sucker Chubs worked the best.  casting spoons worked too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Just about any lake or river,to be honest.

They're usually gonna be a bit down deep right now tho.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Looking at mid september.  Does MI have any special ramp fees for out of state?  I know indiana has ramp fee if you are not from indiana...just want to make sure MI has nothing like that, or if they do, that i get it taken care of.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looking at mid september.  Does MI have any special ramp fees for out of state?  I know indiana has ramp fee if you are not from indiana...just want to make sure MI has nothing like that, or if they do, that i get it taken care of.
View Quote

Like a fee for the boat ramp to launch your kayak? Not for the ramp, but if you launch at a state park, you'll need the MI recreation passport which is $9/day or $31/year for non-residents. If your launching at a city or county ramp, their might be a park entry fee, but it depends where.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top