Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2016 10:04:52 AM EDT
Greetings from the Bluegrass State!

I am bringing my adult son to watch the Chelsea FC soccer (football for Europeans) team play at University of Michigan stadium in Ann Arbor on the 30th.  I went over and looked at all the tacked thread MI laws and have a pretty good handle on it. I am CCDW holder and so can carry anywhere that doesn't prohibit it (either by owner or state law ) unless I OC and then the state law loosens a little and owner prohibition still is allowed.  No problem. Can have in the car with me and everything with my ID.

Two Questions though. I had heard that DETROIT had stricter laws for concealed carry or even possession of a gun but I can find nothing on it. I was going to stay a couple days and do some sightseeing so if someone can chime in on what there is to see and good places to eat in either Detroit or Ann Arbor I would appreciate it.   Also please let me know of any restrictions inside Detroit that are harsher than the state laws.  I lived in Govt. Quarters near Selfridge AFB as a child and recently learned they had torn all that down. I was back there ten years ago and saw it though.  Going to swing by and take pictures of the barren land.

In addition, I guess its probably better to stay in Ann Arbor area as far as hotel is concerned so if you have opinion on any clean, reasonably priced hotels and doesn't have to be downtown for sure.  Just a good rate, clean and good experience.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I went to U of M from 2008 - 2012 so I'm familiar with the area. I'm short on time now and can post more later.

U of M has stricter firearm laws than the state laws. Firearms are banned on U of M property per ordinances set by the regents. This was challenged in court, but ultimately a judge threw it out. Outside of the university, MI has preemption meaning no local jurisdiction can make stricter firearms laws. This means Detroit follows the state laws.

As for hotels, there are some nice ones in downtown, but cheaper rates can be found down by Briarwood mall if you don't mind a 5-10 minute drive to downtown. Briarwood mall also puts you in walking distance (a 2 mi walk or so, but walkable) of the stadium where the game will be played. As was mentioned in the next post, don't even try driving to the game if you stay in a hotel near Briarwood.

Restaurants:
Blimpy Burger (Featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives; good burgers)
Zingerman's Deli (great deli sandwiches with quality ingredients)
Maize and Blue Deli (good deli sandwiches in the heart of student territory)
Blue Tractor (solid BBQ joint)
Jolly Pumpkin (brewery and unique foods)
Tio's Mexican (good Mexican, and way too many tequila choices)
Hopcat (Crack Fries, enough said; huge beer tap list)
Grizzly Peak (brewery and pub food)

Downtown Ann Arbor has a lot of restaurants along Main St between Huron and William.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You are good to carry in Detroit.

Both Ann Arbor and Detroit have two places for food and beer that I've enjoyed,  Jolly Pumpkin and Hopcat.  
I've never had to stay in a hotel in MI,  since I've always had a place to stay when I was visiting before I moved back,  but I do suggest the Briarwood idea as well.  You will probably be just as close to the stadium as any of the downtown hotels would place you and probably pay half the price.  

Good luck and have fun though.  I absolutely hate Ann Arbor traffic.  Game days make it 300% worse.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
We have Hopcats locally here in Lexington and it is one of my favorites since discovering it.  I will probably avoid that since we have it already but look at the others.
Thanks for the recommendations. I imagine I am a little late to the hotel game but will see if I can snag one. If they are full is there somewhere a little farther out that would be good as well?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I imagine I am a little late to the hotel game but will see if I can snag one. If they are full is there somewhere a little farther out that would be good as well?
View Quote

Stay away from Ypsilanti. Look to Pittsfield Twp near US-23 and Carpenter Rd. Going further you can look to Plymouth Rd and US-23. Beyond that you move out of the Ann Arbor area to places like Plymouth, Livonia, Dexter, Saline, Canton, Novi, etc.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#5]
rjbergen covered it for AA.   If you're going to eat over by Selfridge the Twisted Rooster is really good.   They help sponsor the family days on Selfridge by setting up a booth and serving their awesome food.   BTW this is how I discovered them.   Bad Brads is good BBQ and the Basement Bar has great burgers.

Detroit would probably love to but there is preemption  in this state so they have to follow state law.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:44:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I went to U of M from 2008 - 2012 so I'm familiar with the area. I'm short on time now and can post more later.

U of M has stricter firearm laws than the state laws. Firearms are banned on U of M property per ordinances set by the regents. This was challenged in court, but ultimately a judge threw it out. Outside of the university, MI has preemption meaning no local jurisdiction can make stricter firearms laws. This means Detroit follows the state laws.

As for hotels, there are some nice ones in downtown, but cheaper rates can be found down by Briarwood mall if you don't mind a 5-10 minute drive to downtown. Briarwood mall also puts you in walking distance (a 2 mi walk or so, but walkable) of the stadium where the game will be played. As was mentioned in the next post, don't even try driving to the game if you stay in a hotel near Briarwood.

Restaurants:

Downtown Ann Arbor has a lot of restaurants along Main St between Huron and William.
View Quote

No longer around,

J-
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:08:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No longer around,

J-
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Restaurants:

No longer around,

J-

They just moved. The University bought their old location.

Blimpy Burger
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
rjbergen covered it for AA.   If you're going to eat over by Selfridge the Twisted Rooster is really good.   They help sponsor the family days on Selfridge by setting up a booth and serving their awesome food.   BTW this is how I discovered them.   Bad Brads is good BBQ and the Basement Bar has great burgers.

Detroit would probably love to but there is preemption  in this state so they have to follow state law.
View Quote

You are saying that after Detroit Police Chief and City Council members telling Detroiters to get a gun and protect themselves?

Interesting.

As far as the rest, I stay out of Ann Arbor
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of liberals, but that doesn't mean they don't have good food and fun events.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]
A Russian immigrant once commented "There are more Communist per square mile in Ann Arbor than anywhere in Russia". I had to laugh, but it's true. I know a Dr. who lives in Ann Arbor that purchased a new four wheel drive truck and his neighborhood council informed him that trucks aren't allowed in his neighborhood unless they're there for home maintenance/repairs between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Something Un-American about that. People who come up with BS rules like that need their ass kicked, just saying.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lots of liberals, but that doesn't mean they don't have good food and fun events.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do the Big House 5k yearly, I ruck it with other vet's. I hit Gallup Park with the group every now and then. Other than that, I have no reason at all whatsoever to visit that city. They have no use for me, I have no use for it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
A Russian immigrant once commented "There are more Communist per square mile in Ann Arbor than anywhere in Russia". I had to laugh, but it's true. I know a Dr. who lives in Ann Arbor that purchased a new four wheel drive truck and his neighborhood council informed him that trucks aren't allowed in his neighborhood unless they're there for home maintenance/repairs between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Something Un-American about that. People who come up with BS rules like that need their ass kicked, just saying.
View Quote

Where you at? Detroit? Gibraltar? We run into each other out there?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top