Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2016 9:31:27 AM EDT
My wife was arrested last night. My dumb ass left a pistol in my truck and she drove it last night to pick up her friend and was pulled over, vehicle was searched and my pistol was found and she was arrested. I'm at the 37th district court awaiting for her arraignment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Try contacting MichMan1. He's a member here and helped with the SBR/SBS legalization. He's a lawyer too IIRC.

I'd like to know details of what probable cause they had to request the search and if your wife consented. However, I suggest not posting any of the details of the case until it is settled.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I take it she didn't have a CPL?

Otherwise, this is an open and closed case
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Being a mere dregs of society and NOT of the deity stature that Empress Hillary carries, the "did not intend" defense will be laughed out of court.  Best of luck & hopefully you will have an understanding judge.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Particular reason that the car was searched?  That is not a normal traffic stop.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
The car was searched because my wife forgot her license at home and had no ID. I was able to bail her out today.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:22:43 PM EDT
[#7]
They will have to prove she knew the pistol was in the vehicle.  This is a specific intent crime.  Get a good lawyer..she'll most likely beat it but the pistol is lost for sure.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate all the feed back. I will be consulting with attorneys tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 10:24:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The car was searched because my wife forgot her license at home and had no ID. I was able to bail her out today.
View Quote

That's still not probable cause for a search. Unfortunately, if your wife consented to the search, that complicates matters because now the search was legal.

In any case, you should hold off on posting any more details until you've at least spoken with an attorney and possibly until after the case is settled.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's still not probable cause for a search. Unfortunately, if your wife consented to the search, that complicates matters because now the search was legal.

In any case, you should hold off on posting any more details until you've at least spoken with an attorney and possibly until after the case is settled.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Search was technically subsequent to arrest(no ops, no id, driving=arrestable offense), anything within wingspan of reach was GTG. Shitty deal, this why wife should always have CPL whether they choose to carry or not.  

In a shitty world, one your pistols is in the car as you and your wife return from the range, you stop at Speedway to go in to take a piss, asshole crashes into your parked car and the pistol ends up in plain view and an LE encounter happens she could be on the hook for it.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#12]

This. Jim is good people and knows MI gun laws. If I was in your shoes this is who I'd get.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They will have to prove she knew the pistol was in the vehicle.  This is a specific intent crime.  Get a good lawyer..she'll most likely beat it but the pistol is lost for sure.
View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. Jim is good people and knows MI gun laws. If I was in your shoes this is who I'd get.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jim has helped me with several issues at no charge .
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Judge will order it destroyed most likely..it was involved in a crime even tho she will be found not guilty, you might petition the court to get it back, but it will cost more than the pistol is worth..
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Search was technically subsequent to arrest(no ops, no id, driving=arrestable offense), anything within wingspan of reach was GTG. Shitty deal, this why wife should always have CPL whether they choose to carry or not.  

In a shitty world, one your pistols is in the car as you and your wife return from the range, you stop at Speedway to go in to take a piss, asshole crashes into your parked car and the pistol ends up in plain view and an LE encounter happens she could be on the hook for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't remember the law but what the lawyer in my CPL class said if you go in a convenience store and the gun is under you seat a person in the passenger seat isn't violating the law.  You are coming back out and it's your responsibility.  The OPs situation is different of course.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:48:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Search subsequent to arrest for Misd of No Ops on Person.

J-
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Great news, our attorney was able to get the charges dropped and I will be able to pick up my pistol sometime this coming week. Thanks for all the input you guys have given me.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Great news, our attorney was able to get the charges dropped and I will be able to pick up my pistol sometime this coming week. Thanks for all the input you guys have given me.
View Quote

Kick ass.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Kick ass.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kick ass.

Congrats man. Time to get your wife a CPL.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Now that the charges have been dropped, is she going to get charged with murder for killing you? I would never be able to sleep in the same room again??

Glad things worked out. Scary shit there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:51:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Now that the charges have been dropped, is she going to get charged with murder for killing you? I would never be able to sleep in the same room again??

Glad things worked out. Scary shit there.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Lol I've always had to sleep with one eye open with her. just kidding. After we recover financially from this she will be getting her cpl.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:09:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome. I've been a cop in Michigan for 21 years and honestly it shouldn't have gotten that far with those facts. Either a rookie or a dick head or a dickhead rookie.

J-
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Awesome. I've been a cop in Michigan for 21 years and honestly it shouldn't have gotten that far with those facts. Either a rookie or a dick head or a dickhead rookie.

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Agreed, lack of use of discretion, but some times the brass makes these choices tough..
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Outstanding outcome...
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:44:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Agreed, lack of use of discretion, but some times the brass makes these choices tough..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

That's ashame. I wouldn't have bitched (I'm a patrol Sgt) if one of my guys let her go with those facts. Actually I'd be pretty pissed if they brought her in (confided the answer is the same for the other sgts and lts at my place).

J-
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#27]
UPDATE picked up my pistol from the PD today and the barrel has rust all over it and it was spotless 3 weeks ago before they confiscated it.
What's the best way to remove the ruse off the barrel?
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#28]
So glad to hear everything went your way!  Who did you hire for the attorney?  I mean if you don't mind saying.

Barrel rust....Soak it in oil for a day or two.  Wipe off all the excess and see how it shoots.

Link Posted: 8/14/2016 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#29]
If this same scenario happened but the loaded pistol was in a locked box with no key in the vehicle, still a crime?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top