Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2016 9:48:49 PM EDT
I'm planning to take a trip to Mackinaw in a few weeks and would like to be able to take my truck gun with me and wanted to make sure there weren't any pitfalls I might run into. I've got an Indiana carry permit so I'm covered in Michigan with the reciprocity agreement between the two states. But my truck gun is a Bulgarian AK-74M usually kept in a soft case under the rear seats of my truck kept chamber empty, no mag in but with mags in the case. I know Michigan is pretty gun friendly but are there any local issues I might run into? Planning on traveling up I-69 around Lansing to 127. Or up US 31 if I decide to take the scenic route.

Thanks in advance for any help people can provide.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Michigan has state preemption of firearms laws. No local jurisdiction can make stricter firearms laws than the state laws.

I don't have time to cite the statutes right now regarding firearms in vehicles. To help us help you, what's the OAL and barrel length of your AK?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Michigan has state preemption of firearms laws. No local jurisdiction can make stricter firearms laws than the state laws.

I don't have time to cite the statutes right now regarding firearms in vehicles. To help us help you, what's the OAL and barrel length of your AK?
View Quote

OAL is 37", barrel is 16.25 so nothing NFA. Good to know about the preemption law.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Your home state license covers you when carrying a pistol in Michigan, make sure you're familiar with our "Pistol Free Zones" (areas where you generally can't carry concealed like bars, stadiums &arenas, schools & daycares, hospitals, etc.)

Your truck gun isn't a pistol and cant be carried as one under the Michigan CPL law, so if it's in your vehicle make sure it is always unloaded (empty chamber and no loaded magazines inserted, its OK to have loaded magazine in the same case as long as they are not inserted into the gun) and cased. The relevant statute is below:

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed
for land travel; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d. (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or
any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel either of the following:
(a) A firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
(i) Taken down. (ii) Enclosed in a case.
(iii) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(b) A pneumatic gun that expels a metallic BB or metallic pellet greater than .177 caliber unless the pneumatic gun is
unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
(i) Taken down.
(ii) Enclosed in a case.
(iv) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
lukef, yes, I should have made that clear in my original post, only intending to be carrying my usual M&P on my Indiana license. Certainly not planning to be carrying around a loaded rifle. It will be cased, unloaded and chamber flagged, with magazines stored in the external pouches of the same case. Thanks for the quick rundown of no-carry areas, I was actually just reviewing those and refreshing my memory on handgunlaw.us.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#5]

I am a couple miles east of Mackinaw City If you want to have a range session PM me.

The 5.56 and 9mm. is on me.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#6]
All rifles and shotguns must be unloaded, this includes any detachable magazines.

The ammo must be kept separate from the long gun.

The long gun must be either:

1. Disassembled

2. In an enclosed case or

3. Stored in the trunk.

If you have an Indiana Concealed Carry License you may carry in MI like any other CCW license holder. Learn the prohibited areas so as not to violate our restrictions.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]
So if I understand what you're saying I would be violating MI law if I were to have loaded magazines in the vehicle with an unloaded and cased long gun even if said magazines were in a separate container? Just out of curiosity does nobody pre-load their mags at home before going to the range in MI?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
No, that's absolutely not the case.  You can carry your truck gun with nearby loaded magazines, the loaded magazines and unloaded rifle can be in the same container, you just can't have a loaded magazine inserted into the rifle while driving without running afoul of MCL 750.227d.  That law, reprinted below, requires firearms other than pistols to always be transported unloaded and in a state not readily available to occupants of the vehicle (either cased, taken down, in the trunk, or in some other space not accessible to the occupants of the vehicle).  The Michigan State Police published a Legal Update bulletin to Michigan LEOs, and it specifically reminds officers that loaded magazines may legally be transported in the same case as unloaded rifles and shotguns.

(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or
any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel either of the following:

(a) A firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

(b) A pneumatic gun that expels a metallic BB or metallic pellet greater than .177 caliber unless the pneumatic gun is
unloaded
and is 1 or more of the following:

(i) Taken down.

(ii) Enclosed in a case.

(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or
a fine of not more than $100.00, or both

Interesting fact:  MCL 750.227c outlaws the transport of loaded firearms other than pistols inside vehicles in general (sailboats, aircraft, motorboats, or any "vehicle propelled by mechanical means"), not just land vehicles like MCL 750.227d

TL/DR:  The way you describe transport of your AK "truck gun" is 100% legal in Michigan.  Enjoy your stay, the northern parts of Michigan are wonderful.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#9]
lukef, thank you very much for the help. My family has a cabin between Carp Lake and Levering along US 31 so I'm pretty familiar with the area. This is just the first time travelling through with my truck gun as I didn't have a dedicated one before and wanted to make sure I had my bases covered.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top