Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2016 7:20:46 PM EDT
Highlighted in yellow on their website;

Notice:  The 500m Range is currently closed due to two incidents in the past few weeks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Highlighted in yellow on their website;

Notice:  The 500m Range is currently closed due to two incidents in the past few weeks.
View Quote

With their layout of the 500m range, my thoughts would be :

1. Somebody shooting at a close target while someone was down at the 500m targets.

2. Somebody shooting over the berms from the general purpose bunkers, the 200m range, or the range between the general purpose bunkers and the 500m range.  4-5 years ago, the berms were a good height, so my guess would be #1.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I cannot comment on the details of the incidents. No one was injured in either incident.

I will say that we intend to re-open the 500m range as soon as we come up with solutions to prevent further incidents.

The 500m range will be open for organized matches only.

We have no further comments at this time.

Micah Doublestein
Match Director
SKSC 3-Gun
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Dang, was planning to join SKSC this month solely for the 500m range
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dang, was planning to join SKSC this month solely for the 500m range
View Quote
yup

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I cannot comment on the details of the incidents. No one was injured in either incident.

I will say that we intend to re-open the 500m range as soon as we come up with solutions to prevent further incidents.

Micah Doublestein

Match Director

SKSC 3-Gun
View Quote

Jeez, you can't even let us know what happened?  I would assume if action was taken to close the 500m range that the facts are not in dispute.  I, for one, don't appreciate the "no comment" route.   If mistakes were made it's better to shed light on it and be open.  That way others may learn from those mistakes and the community evolves, rather than giving the appearance of shadiness or elitism.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
There are some facts in dispute. Until all the facts are sorted out and solutions are found the range will be closed. I am not authorized to elaborate any more. It's not being "shady" or "elitist".

When the facts are sorted out and solutions are found the 500m range will reopen.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Jeez, you can't even let us know what happened?  I would assume if action was taken to close the 500m range that the facts are not in dispute.  I, for one, don't appreciate the "no comment" route.   If mistakes were made it's better to shed light on it and be open.  That way others may learn from those mistakes and the community evolves, rather than giving the appearance of shadiness or elitism.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Micah Doublestein
Match Director
SKSC 3-Gun

Just because you read a closure announcement on the internet doesn't mean you're entitled to a complete AAR detailing all the dirty laundry. If all the dirty laundry was ever provided for all the "incidents" at all the ranges we would soon have a lot fewer ranges because antigunners would go on media jihad exposing them and attempting to close them down.

If knowing this kind of info is so vitally important to you, get off your ass and join the club and help run events and go to the membership meetings and get on the board and learn how the sausage is made. But don't whine because one of the guys who does that WORK doesn't explain such things to your satisfaction on a public msg board.

FWIW I've shot the state IDPA match there a few years ago and also spent a day on 500 meter range. It's a very nice facility.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just because you read a closure announcement on the internet doesn't mean you're entitled to a complete AAR detailing all the dirty laundry. If all the dirty laundry was ever provided for all the "incidents" at all the ranges we would soon have a lot fewer ranges because antigunners would go on media jihad exposing them and attempting to close them down.

If knowing this kind of info is so vitally important to you, get off your ass and join the club and help run events and go to the membership meetings and get on the board and learn how the sausage is made. But don't whine because one of the guys who does that WORK doesn't explain such things to your satisfaction on a public msg board.

FWIW I've shot the state IDPA match there a few years ago and also spent a day on 500 meter range. It's a very nice facility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Micah Doublestein
Match Director
SKSC 3-Gun

Well that should get new members waiting in line to sign up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Micah Doublestein
Match Director
SKSC 3-Gun

LOL yep I got all fired up and wanted to end on a high note.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:58:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Latest posted info from South Kent;

We are not yet finished with the new policy for the 500m range.  We are in the process of training Range Safety Officers, and members will only be allowed to shoot on the 500m range under the supervision of the RSO.  We are also leaning toward a special class that must be taken BEFORE you or your guests are allowed to use that range.

As a regular user of the 500m range, I can't say I'm too excited about my privileges being neutered.  This will be especially painful when I want to bring qualified guests who may not be able to shoot due to their lack of attendance at this "special class".

That said, I completely understand the need for this change.  It has been my recent experience that way too many ass-clowns like to shoot at the 500m range with nothing more than a casual viewing of the fucking MagPul video as their education.  This must change.

I would like to plead to the Board for two specific things;

1.  Please, please consider adding a 100m backstop to the 500m range for centerfire rifles.  The foundation of any respectable long-range DOPE starts with a reliable 100m zero.  Please don't make members check their zero elsewhere, which creates the possibility of it changing before visiting the 500m range.

2.  I'm hopeful that this "special class" is something members can take "on the spot" via the RSO when visiting the 500m range.  A simple quiz, and confirmation of zero and initial DOPE should be all that is required.  If I can no longer enjoy long-range shooting with my out-of-town guests, SKSC may no longer be the range for me.

Lastly, I'm also hopeful the RSOs will be well-versed enough to understand the differences between the MOA and MRAD adjustment systems.  We don't need to make this any more difficult than necessary.

Link Posted: 6/25/2016 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lastly, I'm also hopeful the RSOs will be well-versed enough to understand the differences between the MOA and MRAD adjustment systems.  We don't need to make this any more difficult than necessary.

View Quote

my idea of long range shooting tops out at 125 yds, so please understand my lack of knowledge when i ask why the above is important for the RSO's to know?

(i usually shoot @ caledonia sportsman's club)

i've been looking for a new club to join for a while since caledonia has such limited hours, and south kent seemed like the most logical choice, but the lack of a centerfire 100m berm/target area always turned me off.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:55:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't feel bad, I'm an RSO but have no clue about MRAD
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I won't get into the details here, but my hope is that the RSOs at least understand that both MOA and MRAD are perfectly acceptable systems of measurement for long-range shooting.  They are both measurements of angle.  Specifically, the angle at which the rifle barrel must point to the sky to ensure the bullet lands at appropriate the long-range target.

The U.S. Military is finally catching up to the rest of the world with at least a partial adoption of MRAD (USMC)

Again, I just want to avoid the argument with an RSO that myself or others are "not doing it right" simply because the RSO doesn't understand the measurement system.  Ballistic computers and smart-phones are so easy to use these days.  It would be awesome if each RSO was armed with the appropriate tools.

Ironically, South Kent used to have the privilege of hosting a world-class long-range instructor each year (Rifles Only), but Jacob is no longer allowed to teach class there.  

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:41:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I was taught that the RSO uses the SOP that the range prescribes. So it's on the range to tell the RSO what to do and enforce. IE put it in writing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#15]
ah, gotcha...

i know that i don't know how to use MRAD, all my gear is in moa, not even mil-dots.

i'm surprised that the RSO's would be that involved in the shooter's sighting-in process/scope setup
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

i'm surprised that the RSO's would be that involved in the shooter's sighting-in process/scope setup
View Quote

I don't see how they cannot be involved.  Just sitting there and making sure guys put their targets up against the berms (current SOP) does nothing to reduce errant bullets bouncing off the floor of the range.

If South Kent is really trying to eliminate bullets leaving the 500m range, they will have no choice but to critique the bullet flight path of each shooter.

Link Posted: 6/27/2016 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't see how they cannot be involved.  Just sitting there and making sure guys put their targets up against the berms (current SOP) does nothing to reduce errant bullets bouncing off the floor of the range.

If South Kent is really trying to eliminate bullets leaving the 500m range, they will have no choice but to critique the bullet flight path of each shooter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

makes sense, rounds skipping off the dirt doesn't sound good at all
Link Posted: 6/27/2016 1:37:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over-estimating drop and having rounds fly over berms doesn't sound good either.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Latest posted info from South Kent;

We are not yet finished with the new policy for the 500m range.  We are in the process of training Range Safety Officers, and members will only be allowed to shoot on the 500m range under the supervision of the RSO.  We are also leaning toward a special class that must be taken BEFORE you or your guests are allowed to use that range.

As a regular user of the 500m range, I can't say I'm too excited about my privileges being neutered.  This will be especially painful when I want to bring qualified guests who may not be able to shoot due to their lack of attendance at this "special class".

That said, I completely understand the need for this change.  It has been my recent experience that way too many ass-clowns like to shoot at the 500m range with nothing more than a casual viewing of the fucking MagPul video as their education.  This must change.

I would like to plead to the Board for two specific things;

1.  Please, please consider adding a 100m backstop to the 500m range for centerfire rifles.  The foundation of any respectable long-range DOPE starts with a reliable 100m zero.  Please don't make members check their zero elsewhere, which creates the possibility of it changing before visiting the 500m range.

2.  I'm hopeful that this "special class" is something members can take "on the spot" via the RSO when visiting the 500m range.  A simple quiz, and confirmation of zero and initial DOPE should be all that is required.  If I can no longer enjoy long-range shooting with my out-of-town guests, SKSC may no longer be the range for me.

View Quote

I'll comment on what happened, or should I say what I heard happened from 2 different sources.  One who was at the board meeting.  

Long story short, a person who lives behind the property had a bullet or bullets land on his house.  He drove over to south kent and walked back to the 500m range and there was several individuals shooting rifles.  When this gentleman started explaining to them that bullets had landed in and around his property they got very defensive and were being complete assholes to him so he left and called the owner or someone form the board that he knew.  

I've heard a variation of that from the 2 different guys I've talked to so it is something along those lines.  

I did have some of the same concerns as you Glock24 and I sent an email to the main email address about the changes.  All though I applaud their effort for safety, as it is always the most important thing, I fear that they will not have enough RO's to staff the range during all open hours which would limit the times you could shoot on those ranges.  

I like the idea of being able to pass some kind of questionnaire or proving that you have accurate DOPE for your rifle before being able to shoot there.  

South kent is a very nice facility but I have seen more than a few ass hats out there dicking around that I have had to set strait.  

I also pointed out that their "Informal survey" is very inaccurate.  Being off a foot at 200 is not going to equate to being off 5 times that at 500.  Bullets don't come out of a gun and continue going strait.  Being off a foot at 200 is about  a 420yd impact.  

The real issue here is that there were rounds going over the back berm which is a HUGE problem and needs to be addressed, ad it sounds like they are getting on it ASAP, but more than likely it is rounds falling short of the berm and skipping over it and not someone carelessly pointing their rifle in the air and firing over the berm.......which just reinforces the need to have shooters prove they know the correct drop data for their rifles.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow.  It sounds like that property owner was a lot more patient than I.  I think I would have called 911 after being told to fuck-off by SKSC members  (for trying to address a safety issue)

I still propose this very simple solution;

1.  Have each shooter confirm their 100 meter zero.  Yes, this means adding a centerfire berm on the 500m range.

2.  Give the RSO a ballistics computer and let him/her confirm the numbers.

Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow.  It sounds like that property owner was a lot more patient than I.  I think I would have called 911 after being told to fuck-off by SKSC members  (for trying to address a safety issue)

I still propose this very simple solution;

1.  Have each shooter confirm their 100 meter zero.  Yes, this means adding a centerfire berm on the 500m range.

2.  Give the RSO a ballistics computer and let him/her confirm the numbers.

View Quote

Yes.  I've been advocating for years that they should make the 100m berm on the 500m range available for center fire.  The first thing most seasoned shooters do is want to confirm their zero.  doesn't make a whole lot of sense going all the way to the 100-200m range just to fire a few shots to check zero, and then pack up all my shit to head to the 500m range.  

I've been considering showing up to the next board meeting and providing some input if I can get the time off.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#22]

doesn't make a whole lot of sense going all the way to the 100-200m range just to fire a few shots to check zero, and then pack up all my shit to head to the 500m range.  
View Quote

Amen, brother.

I was discussing this with a board member earlier this year.  The problem I seem to constantly have is that each time the 500m range is available to me, the 100-200m range is closed due to some organized event.

Of course this board member advised me that weekend access to the 100-200m range once a month should be plenty . . .

Let me know if you can make a board meeting.  I'd be happy to go with you.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if South Kent will be offering refunds or be giving discounts off of next years membership to existing members that PAID to use the facility and have since been told tough luck buddy. Kind of screw job if you ask me.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wonder if South Kent will be offering refunds or be giving discounts off of next years membership to existing members that PAID to use the facility and have since been told tough luck buddy. Kind of screw job if you ask me.
View Quote

my thoughts exactly Brian.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:02:26 AM EDT
[#25]
The following announcement appeared in the SKSC's July newsletter:

500 METER RANGE CLOSED:
The board has closed the 500 meter range to all unsupervised shooting due to continued misuse.  The range will be available to members when there is a range supervisor/safety officer present or during sanctioned shooting events.  The board is preparing a schedule of when the range will be available for members.  This will be published in the news letter and on the web page as soon as possible.  The board is also looking for members who wish to become a range supervisor/safety officer.  There will be classes and testing held to help you qualify.
NOTICE: there will be no individual shooting on any of the backstops on the 500 meter ranges unless there are more than one individual present and one of those must be an approved range supervisor/safety officer.
It is truly sad that our privileges are lost because of the actions of a few careless and unthinking individuals.  Think about this when you use any of our club facilities because those privileges are in jeopardy as well.  If you enjoy unlimited access, then protect it or it will be taken away.  Always follow the rules.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#26]
If I'm reading this correctly, there will be NO additional requirements for the average member, other than the need to have an RSO present when shooting on the 500m range.

And it also sounds like there has to be at least two people on the range at all times . . .with one of them being the RSO.

So now I'm wondering . . . if I personally achieve the coveted RSO approval, does this mean I can take a buddy and go shooting on the 500m range anytime I want?  Or does this simply mean I'm volunteering my time to sit on the 500m range and observe other shooters?

Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]
That is what I'm thinking to! I don't have a problem taking a extra class for safety. If rounds are leaving the property that could shut down the club for good.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If I'm reading this correctly, there will be NO additional requirements for the average member, other than the need to have an RSO present when shooting on the 500m range.

And it also sounds like there has to be at least two people on the range at all times . . .with one of them being the RSO.

So now I'm wondering . . . if I personally achieve the coveted RSO approval, does this mean I can take a buddy and go shooting on the 500m range anytime I want?  Or does this simply mean I'm volunteering my time to sit on the 500m range and observe other shooters?

View Quote

Hey, I can approve you. I'm an current NRA RSO. Your approved
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So now I'm wondering . . . if I personally achi to become a eve the coveted RSO approval, does this mean I can take a buddy and go shooting on the 500m range anytime I want?  Or does this simply mean I'm volunteering my time to sit on the 500m range and observe other shooters?

What is the process to become a NRA RSO?
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

What is the process to become a NRA RSO?
View Quote

https://rso.nra.org

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is my understanding as well.  I sent them an email letting them know I would like to volunteer to be an RSO and they said they'll let me know when the class will be.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That is my understanding as well.  I sent them an email letting them know I would like to volunteer to be an RSO and they said they'll let me know when the class will be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I just don't know, man. From the latest post on their website, it now sounds you are volunteering your time if you become an RSO.

It also appears being a certified NRA RSO is a prerequisite. That is a $125 course!

We have agreed on an instructor to train our RSOs.  NRA RSO Certification is the first prerequisite, followed by traiining that is specific to safe operation of our range.  Once we get through the first batch of RSOs, we intend to publish a schedule where members can use the range.  As more RSO become available, more time-slots will also become available.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#33]
That's why I keep my certs active. I never know when I may need to join a club. Having NRA RSO certs gets your foot in the door
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#34]
South Kent is a good hour drive for me by the way
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I just don't know, man. From the latest post on their website, it now sounds you are volunteering your time if you become an RSO.

It also appears being a certified NRA RSO is a prerequisite. That is a $125 course!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have agreed on an instructor to train our RSOs.  NRA RSO Certification is the first prerequisite, followed by traiining that is specific to safe operation of our range.  Once we get through the first batch of RSOs, we intend to publish a schedule where members can use the range.  As more RSO become available, more time-slots will also become available.

All I know is they need to get this figured out ricky tick!  I was out there this last weekend and the 100y range was packed!  There were a lot of guys talking about the 500m being shut down and there is a lot of members starting to get pissed.  Not to mention the various forums I've been on and saw members bitching about it.  

I understand the need for the safety but if they're just going from monthly meeting to monthly meeting to get this worked out then they're gonna have a lot of pissed of members.   we're in the middle of summer which is the peak season for shooting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#36]
They need to have a paid RSO ought there from open to close on weekends at least until they come up with a better solution.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
They need to have a paid RSO ought there from open to close on weekends at least until they come up with a better solution.
View Quote

Agreed!
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#38]
It sucks that this happened.  My reason for being a member there for many years was that 500 M range.  Usually nice and quiet out there, with more serious and non blasty types.

The annual "rifle sight in" at the other range was always amusing.  Makes the statistic that 20% of hunters getting 80% of the deer understandable.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I see South Kent is setting up RSO training, and asking for certified members to serve throughout the year.

Anyone know the minimum number of required hours per year?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Here is an email which was sent to club members on Aug 14, 2016:

The SKSC board of directors has decided that the 500 Meter range can be open to shooting but only when there is a SKSC Range Officer present.  The board also approved a 500 Meter Range SOP which defines how the range is to be used.  This is in addition to the general range rules for all of SKSC which you view in the safety video.  The SOP allows shooting on the 500M range during scheduled hours and anytime from 9AM to sunset during unscheduled time provided there is at least one RO present.  To get the program underway, we will be offering training classes for RO's.  The class will cost $20 and be 5 hours in duration.  Any member may attend but they will only become an RO if they sign the agreement to provide up to 8 hours of service per year for two years, complete the class and pass the test.  Classes are currently scheduled for 4 PM to 9 PM on Tuesday August 16th, and from 12 to 5 PM on Thursday August 18th.  You must sign up by sending an email to: [email protected].
Please put RO Class in the subject line.  Please include your name, phone number, and the class you wish to attend.  You will be notified by return email.  You will also receive information regarding where to meet.

We will begin scheduling time for the 500 M range to be open as soon as the RO's are approved by the president.  The more RO's we have, the more time we can make the range open to the membership.  The RO's will receive work credit for their time spent.  More importantly, they will be able to shoot on the 500 M range anytime they can arrange to have another RO present.  We want to ask you to help the club get the 500 M range back in use for the members and yourself, so please sign up and volunteer your time.  You'll meet some of the best people you'll ever know. A member who already holds an NRA RSO certificate that is current my also become a 500 M RO by preferably taking the class, but they may optionally present their certification, attend the range time portion of the class and pass the written test.

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks.

Eight hours a year ain't horrible.

My only confusion is why as an RSO, I need to arrange for another RSO whenever I want to shoot on the 500m.  Why can't I just bring another person?  Maybe it's to cover in case I want to leave.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:50:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Still nothing!!  There are a LOT of people that are getting really pissed off about this!  The 100/200 range has been much busier than I've seen in a longtime the last few weekends and everyone out there is bitching about this.  I went through the RO class and was approved as was about 40 or so others.  They told us then that they were really pushing for this to be done by September 1st and here we are half way thru the damn month and still nothing.   The problem is they seem to be waiting until the monthly board meetings to get anything done and we're going on 4+ months now without the 500m range.  I know myself as well as many others are only members there for the 500m range specifically.  Many of the guys I've seen out there are talking about either not renewing or asking for a refund/credit next year.  This is getting ridiculous!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 11:02:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Jay Mayer who is the owner of forest grove armory plans to run on the board. Any members who want to see the 500 back need to show up and vote. He's one of us. This years member elections will be pivotal
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Jay Mayer who is the owner of forest grove armory plans to run on the board. Any members who want to see the 500 back need to show up and vote. He's one of us. This years member elections will be pivotal
View Quote

They sent an email out to the RO's yesterday that the 500m range is now open for use.  Still trying to figure out the scheduling but it's a step.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#45]
so you still can't shoot Not really funny that's close to your handle
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 2:03:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
so you still can't shoot Not really funny that's close to your handle
View Quote

Actually, I can shoot very well.  the name was satire.  

They emailed all the RO's last week and said we can open the range and shoot but they're still trying to figure out how to give us all access to the calendar so we can open time slots and start putting in the time.  hopefully something this week.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:57:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thanks.

Eight hours a year ain't horrible.

My only confusion is why as an RSO, I need to arrange for another RSO whenever I want to shoot on the 500m.  Why can't I just bring another person?  Maybe it's to cover in case I want to leave.

View Quote

My understanding from experience at another club is that RSO duty is exclusive - if you're shooting , you can't do both at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
They emailed all the RO's last week and said we can open the range and shoot but they're still trying to figure out how to give us all access to the calendar so we can open time slots and start putting in the time.  hopefully something this week.
View Quote

Is there any new requirements of the shooter before shooting like testing groups at 100yds or anything?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Is there any new requirements of the shooter before shooting like testing groups at 100yds or anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No,  they just advise that you already have your rifle zeroed.  There is an RO scheduled from 9-2 this Saturday and I am working it next weekend just to get the ball rolling.  They haven't updated the actual front page of the website but there is a link on there to the new 500m section with the calendar.  If an RO is working it will say "RO scheduled"  or if an RO goes in at an unscheduled time they will leave the gate going back to the 500m open letting members know they may shoot.  

You must sign in with the RO with an ID and your membership card.   They just had another RO class on Wednesday and one more this sunday so then there will be another 30-40 RO's which will help.  

it's slowly starting to come along.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:06:11 PM EDT
[#50]
This info appeared today in the Club's newsletter:

500 METER RANGE OPENING:  

The 500 meter range is now available to members to shoot on during scheduled hours only.  You may determine when the range will be open for members to use by accessing the new 500 M Range Calendar on the club web site.  You must first select the 500 M Range page, then select the link at the bottom of the page for the calendar. Look for the day and hour you wish to shoot and see if the words: “RO Assigned: open shooting” are present.

We have 80 plus Range Safety officers who are volunteering their time to work the range so that members can again shoot there.  Please remember to work with the RO and follow their directions.  Since the range is manned only by volunteers, we are scheduling the range when RO’s are available.  We try to make Saturday and Sunday available but may not be able to provide all day coverage.

Remember that you must present your membership card and a picture ID to be able to shoot.  Your membership card is the yellow card with the combination on it.

More classes will be held next year to qualify members to become 500 Meter Range Officers.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top