Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2016 3:09:33 PM EDT
My CPL expired about 15 months ago.  I'm trying to go about renewing it and reading up on what I need to do.   It says you cant "renew" if your license has been expired for more than a year, and that you have to retake the pistol safety class.

Do I actually have to take the CPL course again??    If so that in complete BS.  I've been so swamped at work its been impossible for me to try and get to the clerks office so I've had to put it off.  Now that I thought I might be able to squeeze it in tomorrow I read this.    

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:44:49 AM EDT
[#1]
My buddy did the same thing and just retook the class to renew his CPL.  I think you might be stuck taking the class again.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I just went through this after having left the state for 8 years.
My original CPL certificate was not valid for my new license (not a renewal after it has been expired past a certain length of time).
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You will need to retake the course.

It's not BS, as you've managed to be unable to stop by the clerk's office in more than the 249 possible days, it is reasonable to assume you've also not had time to maintain proficiency with your firearm or kept up to date with legal changes and MI case law.

So the state wants to make sure you are caught up with any changes in
Michigan laws or significant case outcomes, as well as having maintained some
measure of competence in using a firearm.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Well stated
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad I saw this thread.  I took a look at mine and it had expired.  Luckily, I am less than a year overdue.  Just sent in the renewal today.

Time keeps going by too quickly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top