Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2016 4:06:33 AM EDT
What's the best insurance company for an owner of several vehicles? Not for commercial vehicles; but for someone who has a car for everyday driving, an RV, a motorcycle, and a weekend sports car. I have only one car at the moment, but I'm thinking about getting another.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#1]
There are so many non-driving related variables now (location, credit score, education level, etc) it's hard to say without laying them all out on a spreadsheet!

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are so many non-driving related variables now (location, credit score, education level, etc) it's hard to say without laying them all out on a spreadsheet!

View Quote

We did just that a few months ago.  There really is no 1 size fits all answer.

OP, you'll have to do some leg work.  We ended up back with Allstate, 6 vehicles and 2 homeowners policies.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The policy you currently need for one car is different then what you would need for additional vehicles.  You currently have one vehicle and a policy for that one vehicle or is going to be vastly different.  Things like multi car discounts won't apply until you actually have multiple cars and an agent won't be able to quote those aspects until you actually have an additional vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Also factor in that some companies won't insure all vehicles.

Hell,  most won't even insure my 1-ton pickup.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

What's the best insurance company for an owner of several vehicles?

View Quote
Whoever offers the cheapest PLPD. Usually this will be whoever you have your home policy with, as most will give you a significant discount when bundling insurance.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had good luck with state farm
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is correct. I used to work for an insurance carrier and now I am a licensed agent to sell it. The best thing you can do is find an independent agent who can quote you with multiple carriers. Each company has so many rating factors and all of their rates & discounts are different. Allstate might be the best rate for mi650, but it could turn out to be the worst rate for you. Each person is going to have a different experience.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Get quotes from all the big companies.  My insurance is going to be very different from yours so I can't say one company is best over the other.

If one was the best/cheapest, the others wouldn't have survived this long.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a company called Michigan Insurance for years.  Had my business and personal insurance with them, everything.  Once I stopped being self-employed and no longer needed the commercial liability, commercial auto, and workers comp policies they were no longer competitive with my home and personal auto.

My independent agent shopped around and I ended up with all my personal policies at AAA (in about 2011-2012).  I couldn't believe AAA was the lease expensive for comparable coverage, but they were by far.  My longtime independent agent, who has had all my business for 30+ years stopped carrying AAA about nine months ago, so I technically have no active policies with him.  I had a lot of guilt for years even considering shopping around for a different agent, but now that he kind of technically pushed me away by discontinuing his affiliation with AAA, I can and should find the time to do some comparison shopping myself.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have had good luck with state farm
View Quote

Yeah, me too, but I can't ride all 6 vehicles I'm insuring at once. The bill got high enough that I had to pull several of them-after being with them for 25 years, I'm starting to consider other options.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
USAA.  They seem to understand the simple concept that a single guy with more than one car isn't driving both at the same time on a collision course with each other.  Every other carrier seems to think I am and quotes me as such.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:17:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
USAA.  They seem to understand the simple concept that a single guy with more than one car isn't driving both at the same time on a collision course with each other.  Every other carrier seems to think I am and quotes me as such.
View Quote

Thank you, tarfin. I will check them out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top