Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2016 7:51:13 AM EDT
I don't know if my experience is typical of the new CPL licensing regime in effect, but at 4:30 pm on Mar. 30 I went into the Wayne Co. clerks office in Detroit to renew my CPL.  The ladies behind the counter and the man at the cashier station were prompt and courteous, I was in the building for less than 10 minutes before heading back home.  I just checked my mailbox (snail mail only gets cleared of junk mail every week or so) and there was my new CPL!  Mailed from the Wayne Co. Clerks office with an Apr. 1 postmark, a 2-day turnaround!  Whatever happened to the 9 month waits I had become accustomed to, is this one of the signs of the end times?

Glad to see the gubbmint is finally getting its sh** together.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't know if my experience is typical of the new CPL licensing regime in effect, but at 4:30 pm on Mar. 30 I went into the Wayne Co. clerks office in Detroit to renew my CPL.  The ladies behind the counter and the man at the cashier station were prompt and courteous, I was in the building for less than 10 minutes before heading back home.  I just checked my mailbox (snail mail only gets cleared of junk mail every week or so) and there was my new CPL!  Mailed from the Wayne Co. Clerks office with an Apr. 1 postmark, a 2-day turnaround!  Whatever happened to the 9 month waits I had become accustomed to, is this one of the signs of the end times?

View Quote

Good to hear it went well. It is what the law change was suposed to do.

But your way too optimistic that the Gov is getting their sh__ together. My firm (IT/networks)works with gov types and the hiring they have done over the last few years would change your opinion. Its become a stepping stone to the private sector. No one worth a dam is staying and they aren't getting qualified workers. Theyre hiring part timers and not paying benefits. One court building we recently worked at was still using typewritters.

But I guess I cant complain too much. Many are hiring private sector contractors to supplement and we have never been more busy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:13:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Did you get a new racist white CPL?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Be aware some local USPS units will return mail to sender if left in mailbox 3 days or more, like you're out of town for work or something.    Just another service your gubbermint provides
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Did you get a new racist white CPL?
View Quote
yeah and it's fugly - my driver's license picture from the secretary of state is stretched out of proportion, and the text has horrible contrast. the old blue ones were much nicer imo

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#5]
About the same in Macomb County, couple of days turn around for my renewal. It's the new style with drivers photo and tiny type but it's still on the old blue card.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I went in to apply for mine today. They said my MI pistol cerificate hadto be less than five years old, which is not stated anywhere on the Wayne county site.

Now I gotta find a CPL class again.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Its right in the statute.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(d53v3gfozy1zlqjc5cx0u2ku))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-425j
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:14:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Its right in the statute.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(d53v3gfozy1zlqjc5cx0u2ku))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-28-425j
View Quote

I've been in MI for three days since that statute went live. I relied on the county site to tell me everything I needed, so that I would show up with all the papers.

If I would have known this on the weekend, I would have found a CPL class to take. Now that my entire week is scheduled full of job interviews, I might not be packing for a while.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Line 6 in the renewal section of the application says: 6.An application is considered a renewal if the applicant has previously received a CPL in compliance with the training requirements set forth in Michigan law effective July 1, 2001, and the previous license has not been expired more than one year.

Looks to me that the if your license expired less than a year ago that you don't need to take a class again.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1878_1591_3503_4654-10929--,00.html

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I turned in my renewal in Oakland county last Thursday.  I got the new one yesterday.

It's the white card with the out of proportion driver's license picture.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Line 6 in the renewal section of the application says: 6.An application is considered a renewal if the applicant has previously received a CPL in compliance with the training requirements set forth in Michigan law effective July 1, 2001, and the previous license has not been expired more than one year.

Looks to me that the if your license expired less than a year ago that you don't need to take a class again.

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1878_1591_3503_4654-10929--,00.html

View Quote

I was out of state for eight years,  so my MI permit expired long ago.

My submission for a new license (not a renewal) was submitted last Thursday and it was in my mailbox on Monday.
Edit to add - Wayne county.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top