Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2016 8:09:30 AM EDT
I'm sure there is a thread already with the information, I swear I searched!

I set a personal New Years resolution to shoot consistently out to 600 yards and I'd love to hit a 1000 yard target (which I planned to save for the next New Years resolution).
I purchased the rifle and I'm working on getting the glass I want all to reach this goal.

But finding a good range that has that much room in South East Michigan is a difficult task at best.

Do any of you know of a public range where I can shoot out to 600+ yards in SE Michigan?

Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#1]
There's nothing near 600 yards, let alone 1000 yards, in SE MI. You're going to have to go up north to shoot distance.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Long_Distance_Ranges_in_Michigan_344921_7.pdf
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's nothing near 600 yards, let alone 1000 yards, in SE MI. You're going to have to go up north to shoot distance.

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/Long_Distance_Ranges_in_Michigan_344921_7.pdf
View Quote

Blue Water Sportsman Association near Port Huron has a 600 yard range. Last year they had a long distance (600 yds) shooting competition all summer. They shot monthly on a Sat. for 5 or 6 months I believe.

The only 1,000 yd range I know of is at Marksmanship Training Center (MTC) which is like 3+ hours from SE MI.

ETA: Looks like BWSA is holding the precision rifle matches again this year, but they haven't posted in here. It's on their Facebook this year. First match is this coming Saturday, April 9th. Here's their thread from last year's matches.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Washtenaw sportsmans club has 600yds. Wednesday practices are open to the public.  They have other events that are open to the public too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:26:08 AM EDT
[#4]
BWSA and Washtenaw offer shooting at those ranges during scheduled events.

Young's Longshot in Indiana offers 1000 yard shooting all day to members for $200 a year, and MTC up north offers similar though I don't know details on costs/shooting hours. You gotta pay and you gotta drive to shoot 1000 yards if you live in SE MI, even though crappy golf courses are in every other town.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, that's unfortunate.
I certainly won't pay the premium to go to a private club because it isn't something I plan to do an awful lot so the money would really be wasted.  I guess 600 yards is the best I'll see unless I talk a buddy into heading to the U.P. to get some really long range stuff in.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I certainly won't pay the premium to go to a private club because it isn't something I plan to do an awful lot so the money would really be wasted.  I guess 600 yards is the best I'll see unless I talk a buddy into heading to the U.P. to get some really long range stuff in.

View Quote

I feel your pain.  I finally found a spot for ~1000m shooting,  up from the place my coworkers take me to that is 760 yards.  I'll be permanently back in MI in two weeks with zero time to shoot distance before I split.  

I have goals to find property in MI to make this happen again,  but 1000 yards/meters is really asking quite a bit out of the terrain.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 11:37:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You gotta pay and you gotta drive to shoot 1000 yards if you live in SE MI, even though crappy golf courses are in every other town.
View Quote

Golf courses are just a waste of what could be a good rifle range.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You gotta pay and you gotta drive to shoot 1000 yards if you live in SE MI, even though crappy golf courses are in every other town.

+

My sentiment exactly. Detroit area, SE Michigan is only a few hours drive from Camp Perry Ohio located just west of Port Clinton. They hold NRA Regional Tournaments several times each year and honor Michigan State Rifle and Pistol Association membership cards for match entrance without an additional fee.

You'll need to join the Michigan State Rifle and Pistol Association to shoot long range at any of their sponsored events in our state anyhow.

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where do you plan to shoot 1000 yards in the UP?  There's lots of trees that get in the way and they frown on shooting down roads.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm looking for land up north just for shooting and some hunting too ofcourse.

I'm thinking I will have to chop a lot of trees though but that may help me fund the steel
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a friend that lives near Manistique, almost near Summer Island that has a lot of property to shoot long range.  He goes up there with his .50 a couple times a summer... I'll have to hitch a ride one day.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#12]
What does it cost to use the ranges at WSC? Their site says they are not taking new members, and they aren't clear about fees/dues to use the club facilities. I am interested in pistol, .22 rifle and centerfire rifle shooting, but unless you have money falling out of your pockets it is difficult to find a range in this area. I live near Ann Arbor Arms but the limited indoor range distances don't really work for me. A3 is a wonderful facility, but I find their range rates a bit on the high end.

I've lived here since 2012, but haven't found a place to shoot that meets my needs and is affordable. I went to the range in Dexter a few times, it was not the best but it was reasonable for range time - of course that place closed a while ago. I am still looking for some place to go and put a few rounds downrange now and then, so if you know of anywhere in this area that would welcome a disabled vet living on a fixed income, please let me know.

Regards,

SFC
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What does it cost to use the ranges at WSC? Their site says they are not taking new members, and they aren't clear about fees/dues to use the club facilities. I am interested in pistol, .22 rifle and centerfire rifle shooting, but unless you have money falling out of your pockets it is difficult to find a range in this area. I live near Ann Arbor Arms but the limited indoor range distances don't really work for me. A3 is a wonderful facility, but I find their range rates a bit on the high end.

I've lived here since 2012, but haven't found a place to shoot that meets my needs and is affordable. I went to the range in Dexter a few times, it was not the best but it was reasonable for range time - of course that place closed a while ago. I am still looking for some place to go and put a few rounds downrange now and then, so if you know of anywhere in this area that would welcome a disabled vet living on a fixed income, please let me know.

Regards,

SFC
View Quote

WSC is $130/year for members. Not sure what their event admission fees are. They're only open to the public during their events, and as other posters have mentioned, they're difficult to become a member at due to the waiting list.

For the most part, I just go to the DNR ranges because there isn't a whole lot else.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Try Marksmanship Training Center in Cadillac. Either way your going to have to drive.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Regards,

SFC
View Quote

Check out Tri-County Sportsmen's League.  It's only another 15-20 minutes SW from WSC.  Some volunteer hours are required but you can buy them off at $10/hour.  (I don't know about 1st year members buying out volunteer hours.)  I pay under $200/yr. including the unlimited range pass.  If you are going to shoot only occasionally w/o the unlimited pass I think you're looking at about $125/year and then $3-5 per range outing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Boy that's a lot of coin unless I shoot long range more often which I never intended to do.
I broke out a friends range finder to get a better idea of what I can expect from a 600 yard shot and it does take quite a range to make that distance... 1000 yard will be even more difficult but I am tentatively setting that for next years resolution.

My friend recommended just getting a couple guys together, driving up north and finding some power line runs that are cleared out on state land and spend the day plinkiing as far as the eye can see.
To his knowledge there were no restrictions to doing it that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top