Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2016 1:32:27 PM EDT
Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a place somewhere in the Manistee national forest to do some target shooting,specifically some where along MI-10 around branch. I know all of the regulations in regards to shooting on state land. I'm just looking for a regular local go to location, like a gravel pit, some where that there is already plenty of lead laying around, a good backstop, and no trails to worry about. Last thing I want to do is cause problems in a place I'm not from lol. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Grant
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:12:00 PM EDT
[#1]
National Forest is not State Land

You may find BLM a division of USF&W, which is USDA. I'm 60 miles south of your target area
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:58:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome thanks for the info, I wouldn't mind heading a little farther south if you know of any places around your area.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
You aren't going to really find a place where the locals go blasting and leave a mess on public land.   They do a pretty good job of that on their own land.  For a place in the woods near Branch to do some target shooting (you didn't say with what), I'd go north from Branch up Tyndall Road, East on West Centerline to the curve and take that dirt road back.  It is Fox Trail on google earth.   The woods are pretty open, and there are lots of hill for backstops.  

If you keep going back, take the first north turn and keep going left.  There is an old fire tower foundation up there.  Pretty nice view this time of year, although I'm not sure how much snow they have right now.  Last winter I was up there and had the Land Cruiser in Low with Front/Rear/Center diff locks engaged and barely made it.  

Watch out for the Windago.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to shoot a lot in my backyard which is next to the Manistee National Forest & State Land

Then a current MDNR LEO, and his wife a retired MSP Trooper moved in next to me in November.

The guys playing Army in the back will be suprised to say the least.
I haven't had a chance to warn them yet, but if they read this they can't say the friendly neighbor didn't try.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Well these days the bank account guge is on E for economy so there's only two guns in the armory, just my colt 6920 and a glock17. The colt is set up with a geissele mk1, bipod, and a nikon M-223 1-4. I figured I could show the girlfriend the basics this weekend with the rifle, and leave the glock for another day. I'll bring my brass catcher along to keep things clean, and keep the targets limited to paper, last thing I want to do is leave a mess. I'm pretty sure the f150 wouldn't do so well in deep snow with its bald tires, especially if your rig had a hard time. We might end up parking the truck and hiking back, or if there's enough snow we could break out the x-country skis. Sounds like a nice place though, I always loved it up there. I used to do a lot of spring Steely fishing on the Pere Marquette, unfortunately I left my fishing gear back in Cincinnati, otherwise I'd probably be doing more fishing than shooting. We'll keep an eye out for that windago, you never know when he might show up lol thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
oh man a DNR MSP husband wife combo, throw in some weekend warrior neighbors and you have a good sitcom!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Udell hills is a neat area too, kinda far from where OP is thinking.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top