Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2016 9:37:21 PM EDT
The petition is ready and an online version can be signed here http://www.gopetition.com/petitions...for-michigan-night-time-predator-hunting.html

Paper forms can be printed from here Everyone you can find the Petition here.

Anyone can download it, print it, collect as many signatures as you can
and then submit it to the P.O. Box listed. Any help is greatly
appreciated.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u... Predator Hunters for Centerfire at Night.pdf

The Fact sheet here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1928669/Petition fact sheet.pdf

If you would like to collect additional signatures and then mail them to the P.O. Box listed on the petition.  

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Signed and forwarded.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Done.  This should give the Fudds a coronary, but we need more opportunity to thin the coyotes out.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:31:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Hit, #872.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]

I would have phrased the petition to allow for any bullet under .28, which would allow for 260 and some 6mm rounds
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
yea me too, but we were told that to have any hope of getting this through we would have to have the restriction. I really wanted to be able to use my grendel

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Done. Number 879.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I hit it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
yea me too, but we were told that to have any hope of getting this through we would have to have the restriction. I really wanted to be able to use my grendel
View Quote

Honestly, however many petitions get put forward it will end up being vote on by the "board of commissioners" who it seems pretty much hate anything that doesn't immediately take one back tot the romance of hunting in wool togs in 1952,

I'm not saying it won't happen, but it will likely get smacked down or further neutered by the powers that be.

This is the same stumbling block that suppressors keep hitting when they come up in relation to hunting
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:28:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Honestly, however many petitions get put forward it will end up being vote on by the "board of commissioners" who it seems pretty much hate anything that doesn't immediately take one back tot the romance of hunting in wool togs in 1952,

I'm not saying it won't happen, but it will likely get smacked down or further neutered by the powers that be.

This is the same stumbling block that suppressors keep hitting when they come up in relation to hunting
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well suppressors are legal for hunting now so why not keep pushing?

You got my signature!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You got my signature!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got my signature!

Owning or hunting?

I see the vote was on the 11th, if you know something we don't, we'd love for you to share with the group

I see y'all had a thread on it but it kinda Needs more into, an implementation date would be nice
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#12]
The NRC voted 4-1 yesterday to approve suppressors for hunting in Michigan without restrictions and went into immediate effect.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:25:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who specifically told you it wouldn't pass without this restriction and more importantly, what was the reason for that statement?

Frankly, we just dealt with this issue on suppressors, the DNR law division sent the commissioners a memo that had overtones that if they didn't have those arbitrary restrictions in place (30dB max reduction and no sub-sonic ammo) suddenly we'd all become poachers. When presented with the FACTS, the NRC overcame the memo they were presented and approved without those restrictions.

So once again, we're capitulating right out of the gate because of a phantom fear that if aomebody uses a .243, 300 Blackout, 6.8 or whatever that we'd go on a whitetail deer killing spree which of course is ridiculous because, newsflash: ONLY CRIMINALS DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT LAWS, END OF STORY.

I do commend those that got this ball rolling as it was on my radar as the next hurdle to overcome with regards to hunting laws in Michigan, I just think it's a mistake to handcuff ourselves like that.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd like to see this become a thing in MI.

In Oregon,  we can hunt pest animals at night on private land only.  I'm still trying to find somebody that will let me slaughter some 'yotes so I can test out my Flir.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:52:05 AM EDT
[#15]

I added this into to the comments section.

"Permissible use of artificial lights to include the use of Night Vision goggles, and / or Thermal Vision sighting devices."

I checked the empty case length on my 222 Remington before I signed. As I have one already threaded for use in Prairie Poodle hunting in So. Dakota.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 11:40:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"Permissible use of artificial lights to include the use of Night Vision goggles, and / or Thermal Vision sighting devices."

I checked the empty case length on my 222 Remington before I signed. As I have one already threaded for use in Prairie Poodle hunting in So. Dakota.
View Quote

We already can use night vision devices(no need to differentiate between night vision and thermal).
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Signed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We already can use night vision devices(no need to differentiate between night vision and thermal).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any optic or sighting decide that relies on or uses natural light is good to go,
Nvg magnifies natural light,
Thermal sees a soectrum of natural light that you simply can not see unaided

They just aren't really big fans of lasers
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#19]
We were suggested that by a retired dnr  guy that is actually working with us to get it passed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We were suggested that by a retired dnr  guy that is actually working with us to get it passed.
View Quote

I suspected as much, so what was their FACTUAL rationale for the restriction vs allowing us to use what the hell we own? Oh,
and that BS answer of 'deer poaching' is just that, BS, invented by LAZY DNR personnel.

I've hunted in Texas at night multiple times with calibers larger than .224 and saw deer and cattle and magically none of them were shot, why,
because I'm not a fucking poacher! Re: the poaching reason, as they say down South, 'That dog don't hunt'!

I personally know retired DNR officers, hell, I even worked with one and they are the LAST people I would rely on to get this
long standing arbitrary restriction overturned. It was the DNR law division itself that tried to screw us on the suppressors for hunting.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#21]
well as i stated he is on our side he will be speaking to the DNRC along with us.

but it does make sense considering the caliber restrictions below the "shotgun" line, which is retarded in its own right in my opinion.

think of this though, there isnt any organized opposition to this, but what would you anticipate as arguments as to why it shouldn't be allowed?

not here to argue with anyone here, i think we are on the same page, but if the DNR rolls out a plan what would you anticipate the arguments to be.

mainly from soccer moms that dont want high powered rifles being shot in the dark.

Anyone here that wants to help at any level contact me, i can provide the schedule for the meetings and locations where we will be talking to the DNRC and anyone can come and say their piece.

want it changed...get involved.

want unrestricted, come and prove your point to them as to why.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
well as i stated he is on our side he will be speaking to the DNRC along with us.
but it does make sense considering the caliber restrictions below the "shotgun" line, which is retarded in its own right in my opinion.
think of this though, there isnt any organized opposition to this, but what would you anticipate as arguments as to why it shouldn't be allowed?
not here to argue with anyone here, i think we are on the same page, but if the DNR rolls out a plan what would you anticipate the arguments to be.
mainly from soccer moms that dont want high powered rifles being shot in the dark.

Anyone here that wants to help at any level contact me, i can provide the schedule for the meetings and locations where we will be talking to the DNRC and anyone can come and say their piece.

View Quote

My last post wasn't hyperbole, I truly would like to know what the retired DNR officer's reason for supporting approval only WITH caliber restrictions? With regards to the shotgun zones, from my research it was implemented because of population density, while one may agree or disagree with it, it's based on numbers not feelings.

With regards to what arguments they might put up, I mentioned knowing retired DNR officers only for the fact that they ALL said there's no way we should be allowed to use centerfire rifles at night because there would be no way for them or citizens to know if someone is poaching deer, hence my reference to LAZY. They generally didn't want to have to run all over trying to determine if someone was predator hunting or poaching.

The only other possible argument (and it's a helluva stretch) is that larger calibers are more 'dangerous', the REALITY is whether hunting, law enforcement, self defense or target shooting, we're responsible for each and every round down range including properly identifying our target before pulling the trigger. With regards to soccer moms, etc.... again the reality is the primary opponents to this will come from within the DNR law division PERIOD!

Now, whether you've formed an opinion of me or not I'll tell you this, I'm pro law enforcement (believe me, you have no idea), I detest poachers not only for what they do but for the difficulties they create for us to enjoy our freedoms while pursuing game. As to getting involved, I couldn't agree more. I was heavily involved in the suppressors for hunting matter including posting on various hunting and firearms websites to bring attention and encourage involvement, also phone calls to the commissioners, detailed e-mails to them using facts and working very closely with my local State Rep who is very pro hunting and pro 2A.

I also enlisted the support of every suppressor owner I knew and those that were waiting to see if it was approved by being part of the process. I reminded them it was CRITICAL that all communications be polite and respectful. The success of that matter to overcome the 'feelings' and biased report from the DNR law division was due to the strong involvement of many orginizations inc the ASA and the NRA, but most importantly, the input from the very Michigan residents that buy the licenses. I would also encourage to enlist the help of local and national predator hunting orginizations in addition to us resident predator hunters.

In conclusion, when it comes to negotiation, the first rule is to never negotiate against yourself.  By starting out offering a caliber restriction that's exactly what we would be doing. Make the other side PROVE why one can't use a .243, 6.5 or whatever (with FACTS), not the other way around. United we stand, divided we fall;).

ps: If that's you in your avatar pic, we have way more in common than you know;).

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:24:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Yup,  that's me.
Were you on the page i started on Facebook?  MI hunters for supressors?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yup,  that's me. Were you on the page i started on Facebook?  MI hunters for supressors?
View Quote

Nope, haven't done Facebook nor will I, but thanks for your part in making suppressors legal to hunt with in Michigan!
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't know of any pro-gunners that track the goings-on of the NRC, but watching the video here

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/natural-resources-commission-meetings

gives a good idea what the public hearings are like.

I'd like to know more about the NRC lady that voted against suppressors. Sounds like she needs to go.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#26]
yup, several of my group spoke at the one last week. and we will be speaking at more of them

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
yup, several of my group spoke at the one last week. and we will be speaking at more of them
View Quote

Excellent!
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:56:28 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd like to know more about the NRC lady that voted against suppressors. Sounds like she needs to go.
View Quote

Yes. And I commend the woman that made the amendment to remove the 2 stipulations.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#30]
[b]Quoted:[/b

View Quote

How are these people assigned to the position?  
If we know then we can help select people who actually know something about Natural Resources.

I know I've never seen their names on any ballot

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If we know then we can help select people who actually know something about Natural Resources.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They are appointed by the Governor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:56:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Vicki Pontz was the one I believe who blathered on about her NO vote and something something about gathering data and the image of hunters in the eyes of nonhunters not being enhanced by hunters using suppressors.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's the link to the bios of the MNRC Commissioners. Once you read about them, you'll understand that it was damn near a miracle we got the suppressor rule passed without restrictions and what we're up against for the centerfire at night issue. That said, I do commend the four commissiners who supported that measure after being presented with the FACTS. I keep posting that, but it's critical as the facts are on our side and it takes the 'feelings' out of the argument which the left relies on heavily.

The list mostly screams of a who's who of the lefty world and of special note, Ol' Vicki's involvement in the 'Open space protection' movement means the sooner we can eliminate hunting lands the better we'll be.

If you had any pause as to where the Governer comes from, since he appoints these people, take a good long look at who is and more importantly who is NOT on the list and do they truly represent US!

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-65134_65145-24723--,00.html

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Besides the eastern seaboard, Michigan must rank right up there in attracting the worst political hacks in the country.  I'm really surprised FBHO hasn't targeted areas like the Manistee National Forest  the way they are setting aside BLM land out west.  

I really love this state, we could live anywhere, but I swear Lansing must have stupid in the water.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I just received the DNR newsletter via e-mail today and the topic was night time furbearer regulations, soooooooo I'm thinking great, our petitions and comments paid off for centerfire at night. They made coyote hunting all year long and now allow 3 and 4 buckshot but as to centerfire rifle at night..........HELL NO!

What I don't know is if this was the meeting the petitions were going to be submitted or if it was a future meeting, what's the feedback from the group on this topic?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Wish I would have read this post B4
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Here is the exact copy of what was in the DNR email that I also received.

It does say specifically that shotguns, and rimfire firearms only (plus the archery thing) and NO centerfire rifles after dark.

Time to dust off my 5mm Remington Magnum Rimfire rifle. I have 500rds of the Centurion white box ammo left.  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 26, 2016

Natural Resources Commission approves year-round coyote hunting season in Michigan

The Natural Resources Commission, at its monthly meeting in Lansing, Michigan, earlier this month, approved new coyote and nighttime furbearer hunting regulations.

Effective immediately, coyote hunting season is open year-round in Michigan. Please note that dogs may not be used to hunt coyotes April 16 through July 7.

Nighttime hunting season dates now match the daytime hunting season dates by species. Coyote and opossum hunting are open year-round. Raccoon hunting is Oct. 1 through Jan. 31, and fox hunting runs Oct. 15 through March 1.

Raccoons, opossums, foxes and coyotes now may be taken at night with 3 and 4 buckshot. Nighttime furbearers can be taken with a bow and arrow, crossbow, a rimfire firearm .22 caliber or smaller, or a shotgun with loads other than buckshot larger than number 3, slug or cut shell. Centerfire rifles may not be used to take furbearers at night.

Portable artificial lights may be used throughout the open nighttime season of the target species. Examples include flashlights, portable battery-powered spotlights and headlamps.

Nighttime hunters must use the aid of a game or predator call and/or dogs while hunting at night. Dogs may not be used from April 16 through July 7. While hunting with dogs at night, a firearm, crossbow or bow and arrow may be loaded at the point of kill only.

To hunt coyotes, Michigan residents must have a valid base license, and nonresidents must have a valid base license and a valid fur harvester license. Residents hunting other furbearing species will need a base license and a fur harvester license.

Raccoons and coyotes may be taken all year on private property by a property owner or designee when the raccoons or coyotes are doing or about to do damage to private property. A license or written permit is not needed.

These changes are for coyote and nighttime furbearer hunting only. Trapping season dates and regulations are not affected by these changes.

The Wildlife Conservation Order, containing complete listings of regulations and legal descriptions, can be found at mi.gov/dnrlaws.

Department of Natural Resources hunting digests are available for download at mi.gov/dnrdigests.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#38]
It does say specifically that shotguns, and rimfire firearms only (plus the archery thing) and NO centerfire rifles after dark.
View Quote

Speaking of shotguns, I wonder if it would be possible to create a sub-caliber sabot round in the .308 caliber range that could be used from a rifled shotgun barrel?  Imagine .300blk performance from such a round.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Hoping the OP chimes in as to the status of the petitions we signed to get this bullshit restriction eliminated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top