Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2016 10:21:43 PM EDT
It looks like I need to get this ball rolling before I move back.  I moved half of my stuff to my house in the metro Detroit area in November with plans to relocate 100% in April. My car is parked in the driveway but still has Oregon plates on it, leading to the city ordinance department to tag it for a 48 hour removal.

Anyways,  I would like to put it in the garage, but the existing garage is ~6 feet too shallow to fit a 1966 Cadillac.
Any of you guys know of a good contractor that may work on some garage options with me?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It looks like I need to get this ball rolling before I move back.  I moved half of my stuff to my house in the metro Detroit area in November with plans to relocate 100% in April. My car is parked in the driveway but still has Oregon plates on it, leading to the city ordinance department to tag it for a 48 hour removal.

Anyways,  I would like to put it in the garage, but the existing garage is ~6 feet too shallow to fit a 1966 Cadillac.
Any of you guys know of a good contractor that may work on some garage options with me?
View Quote

Mind posting or PM'ing me the city? I'm surprised it's an issue if it's in the driveway and not overhanging/blocking the sidewalk. An ordinance number, if they listed one on the citation, would be helpful too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:19:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not quite legal for them to do, unless they are trying under a junked car ordinance or something like that (which usually requires the vehicle to be obviously non funtional and parked in the yard etc not the drive). As long as the property is "occupied" then they have no say how long a vehicle is parked in your own drive.

Parked on a city street a vehicle has to be moved every 48 hours per state statute or its considered "abandonded."

J-
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like they tried to tag it under the "nonfunctional" part of the ordnance. However, you didn't explicitly state whether or not it runs, but if it runs, I don't think they have a leg to stand on. If the plates are current, and not expired, they have even less of a leg, but if it's on private property it doesn't legally need current plates anyways.

ETA: You PM'd me your city, I don't have any recommendations in that area as I'm north of I-696. Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#4]
If they want to be super stupid they can cite a functional vehicle for failure to transfer title to Michigan after 30-60 days,
The argument that you reside out of state is nullified by the fact it is parked in the driveway of a dwelling you own.

Depending n the jurisdiction it's either an attempt to add money to the cities funds, a mosey bitching neighbor, or both.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It sounds like they tried to tag it under the "nonfunctional" part of the ordnance. However, you didn't explicitly state whether or not it runs, but if it runs, I don't think they have a leg to stand on. If the plates are current, and not expired, they have even less of a leg, but if it's on private property it doesn't legally need current plates anyways.

ETA: You PM'd me your city, I don't have any recommendations in that area as I'm north of I-696. Sorry.
View Quote

It functions and drives, but it could use an alignment before I would drive it more than a few miles.  I converted it to fuel injection so when my brother moved it the other day,  it fired right up.  Plates are permanent Oregon plates (Antique).  They never expire.  I don't have insurance coverage on it since I wasn't planning on having it leave my property.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If they want to be super stupid they can cite a functional vehicle for failure to transfer title to Michigan after 30-60 days,
The argument that you reside out of state is nullified by the fact it is parked in the driveway of a dwelling you own.

Depending n the jurisdiction it's either an attempt to add money to the cities funds, a mosey bitching neighbor, or both.
View Quote

I was worried about them trying to do something like this.  I'm going to mail my brother the title, just so he can have it on hand,  that way he can put Michigan registration on it if they try to push that.  The only thing that will suck is that he will have to title it in his name if this happens.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It functions and drives, but it could use an alignment before I would drive it more than a few miles.  I converted it to fuel injection so when my brother moved it the other day,  it fired right up.  Plates are permanent Oregon plates (Antique).  They never expire.  I don't have insurance coverage on it since I wasn't planning on having it leave my property.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can register it as a historic vehicle in MI for $30.  It doesn't expire either.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1585_1595_52364-205688--,00.html

You could even find some old 1966 plates somewhere and use those.  MI plates had the year on them until sometime in the '70s (I moved here in '85).  I was able to find a pair of brand new '68 plates for my Charger back in 1997.  If you find old plates, make sure you get both otherwise you don't know if someone has registered a car with the second plate.

I would check to see if your brother could transfer the title for you.  Or maybe put both your names on it until you move here.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top