Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 12:09:16 PM EDT
Purchased a stripped lower through an FFL over a year ago on a great sale.

Haven't assembled as of yet, and I'm considering building a 10.5 or 7.5 pistol.

Not sure if I can still register it as such or if I have to get another lower to process.

Of course, all based on MI law.

Apologies if beating a dead horse...

Thanks in advance

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a stripped lower until you make it a rifle or pistol. There is no time limit. Register it and build away.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#2]
and just to be expressly clear.

Using form RI-060  filled out in triplicate
Myself signed as both the seller and purchaser
The maximum length allowable  (say 25") as the OAL
No FFL dealer information required. (I do not currently posses a CPL)

Also,

Once registered as a pistol <26" OAL  with a <16" barrel no shouldering stock.
--------
I can make it a rifle with 16+" barrel and stock legally.
--------
Then return to no stock/-16" pistol without repercussion.
--------
So long as a barrel no shorter than 16" is in conjunction with a shouldering stock at any one time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#3]
They'll kick it back if you do not posses a CPL. You need to go to the sheriff or local PD, get a purchase permit, then fill that out as both seller and buyer.

The printable forms MUST have either your FFL or CPL information. So go get a permit, fill it out, build pistol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Also,

--------
--------
--------
So long as a barrel no shorter than 16" is in conjunction with a shouldering stock at any one time.
View Quote

The "pistol" can not "accept" a rifle stock when registered as a pistol.  That means your receiver extension has to be switched out. I think you're flirting with problems on several levels. I would simply build that lower receiver into a rifle solely based on the amount of time you have waited since it's purchase..

If you want to build a pistol then buy a lower already marked as one or buy it new fully assembled. Personally I think AR pistols are ridiculous, virtually useless. An SBR on the other hand looks interesting. The SBR process makes more sense if you want a firearm that is actually useable. "If" you build  a SBR on a registered pistol lower, then convert it or have it converted to an SBR, Michigan law allows you to carry it in your vehicle. You must have a copy of your NFA Tax Stamp (approved in advance of construction) with the firearm at all times. It will have to be engraved by you or by the "manufacturer" should you hire it out to conform with BATFE regulations.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The "pistol" can not "accept" a rifle stock when registered as a pistol.  That means your receiver extension has to be switched out. I think you're flirting with problems on several levels. I would simply build that lower receiver into a rifle solely based on the amount of time you have waited since it's purchase..

If you want to build a pistol then buy a lower already marked as one or buy it new fully assembled. Personally I think AR pistols are ridiculous, virtually useless. An SBR on the other hand looks interesting. The SBR process makes more sense if you want a firearm that is actually useable. "If" you build  a SBR on a registered pistol lower, then convert it or have it converted to an SBR, Michigan law allows you to carry it in your vehicle. You must have a copy of your NFA Tax Stamp (approved in advance of construction) with the firearm at all times. It will have to be engraved by you or by the "manufacturer" should you hire it out to conform with BATFE regulations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also,

--------
--------
--------

This is an example why you don't ask LE's any legal questions
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]
There is no statute that says you can't use a rifle buffer tube for a pistol. As the rest of your post it is all opinion.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:04:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Also,

--------
--------
--------
View Quote

Like Bucket said you need to goto the PD first to get permit before you build since you dont have a CPL. Otherwise your correct, you can change it back and forth from pistol to rifle.

Borderpatrol, I think you mean well as to play it safe but, Ill post some ATF letters tomorrow when Im at my PC that will clairify. You can change them back and forth if it starts as a registered pistol first. Last I heard No requirement that it cant accept a stock. ATF has said that regular buffer tubes are fine, because they are buffer tubes not stocks. Wouldn't have a spare stock laying around though. Alot of people use them and wrap with paracord or foam for comfort and to play it safe. I agree SBR is the better way to go so you can shoulder a regular stock, but Ive seen many shoot AR pistols accurately.

As for the time since you purchased the lower, again no statute or letters, State or Fed, on that. My AR pistol lower (now a SBR) sat in my safe as a stripped lower for two years before I built it. No issues. No worries.

AR15 Pistol Forum

ATF Letter Multi Questions (Buffer tube)

ATF Letter Pistol to Rifle and Back aka TC Contender Ruling
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thank you, All.

Guess I'm just having a had time wrapping my head around going through the purchase permit for something I've already purchased,
and having an FFL transfer it from myself to myself.

Looks like I'll be finishing up my CPL to make it a bit smoother.

Sidenote, my intention is/was never to use a rifle buffer tube while in 'pistol' configuration.
The lower would be stripped of the pistol buffer tube and upper receiver swapped for longer barrel with rifle buffer.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thank you, All.

Guess I'm just having a had time wrapping my head around going through the purchase permit for something I've already purchased,
and having an FFL transfer it from myself to myself.

Looks like I'll be finishing up my CPL to make it a bit smoother.

Sidenote, my intention is/was never to use a rifle buffer tube while in 'pistol' configuration.
The lower would be stripped of the pistol buffer tube and upper receiver swapped for longer barrel with rifle buffer.
View Quote

You don't need an FFL involved in this. You simply need to go to your local police department and request a pistol purchase permit. They will run a background check and write the NICS number on the form. You take it home, fill it out as both buyer and seller, and the information on the AR pistol you're building. Then return it to the police department. I'm not sure how the pistol purchase differs from the MI RI-60 Pistol Sales Record since I got my CPL right at 21 and have only purchased pistols with my CPL. I've never actually seen a pistol purchase permit.

I like the Montcalm County Sheriff Office's explanation of pistol purchasing. The first section is what you'll need to read.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:02:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also,

--------
--------
--------

I'm not a member of, nor have I ever been a member of the Border Patrol. My "handle" is based on my belief that every American is responsible for protecting our countries borders. I'm actually dumber than most police officers, and that should be taken into consideration any time I post.

My opinion was meant to protect the OP from running afoul of the law. His 16" barrel automatically makes the firearm legal whether it's a pistol or a rifle. A shorter barrel becomes problematic. I believe a shorter barrel combined a rifle/carbine barrel extension is just asking for trouble.

Right now Michigan Law requires that any pistol purchased in the state must be registered in something close to 10 days time after purchase. How does the OP explain the year delay? It's not a felony, but you can be fined.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:23:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not a member of, nor have I ever been a member of the Border Patrol. My "handle" is based on my belief that every American is responsible for protecting our countries borders. I'm actually dumber than most police officers, and that should be taken into consideration any time I post.

My opinion was meant to protect the OP from running afoul of the law. His 16" barrel automatically makes the firearm legal whether it's a pistol or a rifle. A shorter barrel becomes problematic. I believe a shorter barrel combined a rifle/carbine barrel extension is just asking for trouble.

Right now Michigan Law requires that any pistol purchased in the state must be registered in something close to 10 days time after purchase. How does the OP explain the year delay? It's not a felony, but you can be fined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also,

--------
--------
--------

It's a stripped receiver, it isn't a pistol until it is built as one.  And where in the law does it say the receiver must be marked as a pistol as you mentioned in your first post?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's a stripped receiver, it isn't a pistol until it is built as one.  And where in the law does it say the receiver must be marked as a pistol as you mentioned in your first post?
View Quote

This.  Lowers are usually designated as "other" on the 4473.  Its not a pistol or a rifle until it is built.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Personally I think AR pistols are ridiculous, virtually useless. An SBR on the other hand looks interesting. The SBR process makes more sense if you want a firearm that is actually useable.
View Quote

What ?  They are basically the same thing minus the butt stock ? I heard all the crap from the guys about my AR pistol now the same guys are all building them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:31:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This.  Lowers are usually designated as "other" on the 4473.  Its not a pistol or a rifle until it is built.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

came here to post this.

I bought a stripped lower a year ago, it was marked as "other" on the paperwork, meaning it is neither a rifle or a pistol until I assemble into one of those configurations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top