Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2016 1:18:10 PM EDT
I'm sure some of you might give humorous responses like "the garbage." But, unfortunately I recently purchased 1000 rounds of 9mm while clearly being ignorant about what bimetal really meant. Now, I do know what it means.

I need to find a shooting range where I can shoot it all off or maybe even someone willing to buy this ammo off of me please?

9mm Luger (9x19mm) 115gr FMJ LVE Novosibirsk Bulk (1000rds) is the ammo I'm referring to

Thank you
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm sure some of you might give humorous responses like "the garbage." But, unfortunately I recently purchased 1000 rounds of 9mm while clearly being ignorant about what bimetal really meant. Now, I do know what it means.

I need to find a shooting range where I can shoot it all off or maybe even someone willing to buy this ammo off of me please?

9mm Luger (9x19mm) 115gr FMJ LVE Novosibirsk Bulk (1000rds) is the ammo I'm referring to

Thank you
View Quote

I'll be happy to dispose of it for you, I'll even wave the disposal fee.

Seriously though, indoor ranges tend to have a problem with that stuff, it tears up the backstops so you'll probably need to go to an outdoor range, I very much doubt that they would care.  You might try the pit in Lapeer, you can shoot anything you want there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]
What part of the state are you located at?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seriously though, indoor ranges tend to have a problem with that stuff, it tears up the backstops so you'll probably need to go to an outdoor range, I very much doubt that they would care.  You might try the pit in Lapeer, you can shoot anything you want there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you

Well, surprisingly the couple of outdoor ranges I found with Google within about 20 miles from me (Rochester, MI) do not actually allow bimetal ammo. I'll check out the "pit in Lapeer" that you mentioned.

Quoted:

Sorry, should've mentioned that, I'm in Rochester, MI but after realizing the hole I dug myself into purchasing this ammo I'm willing to drive to use it up hopefully in one go.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured with a location, it would be easier for others to offer suggestions.  I'm over on the west coast (Berrien County), so that would be quite a haul.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't see the problem.  Either play ignorant at your indoor range, or shoot it exclusively at outdoor ranges (or during summer trips up North).  And who cares about the slight acceleration in barrel wear. We should all be so lucky to shoot out the life of our pistol barrels.  Replacement barrels are cheap

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 5:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

Bi-metal refers to the case, not the bullet for that ammo. The bullet is still an FMJ with a lead core. The case is a mixture of brass and steel to reduce cost yet prevent corrosion. Some indoor ranges will not allow bi-metal because they recycle their cases and don't want bi-metal in there. The DNR's Pontiac Lake range will allow it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 9:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
That particular ammo has both a bi-metal case AND bullet jacket.

This 9mm ammo has a 115gr projectile that contains a lead core surrounded in a Bi-Metal jacket. The casing is also Bi-Metal and its composition prevents corrosion without the requirement of a lacquer or polymer coating. The mild steel content of the bi-metal jacket and casing will make this ammo stick to a magnet but rest assured that the core of the projectile is pure lead so it will not cause increased wear on backstops.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bi-metal refers to the case, not the bullet for that ammo. The bullet is still an FMJ with a lead core. The case is a mixture of brass and steel to reduce cost yet prevent corrosion. Some indoor ranges will not allow bi-metal because they recycle their cases and don't want bi-metal in there. The DNR's Pontiac Lake range will allow it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

Oh Really
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, surprisingly the couple of outdoor ranges I found with Google within about 20 miles from me (Rochester, MI) do not actually allow bimetal ammo. I'll check out the "pit in Lapeer" that you mentioned.

Quoted:

Sorry, should've mentioned that, I'm in Rochester, MI but after realizing the hole I dug myself into purchasing this ammo I'm willing to drive to use it up hopefully in one go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

Quoted:

Surprised the outdoor ranges won't allow it, you might try the DNR ranges.  The pit is great, it's off in the boonies but you can shoot what you want, the only thing I should suggest is to bring a trash bag with you to haul away your junk and police your brass, we have to keep the pit clean.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The pit is your best bet, if you don't want to ruin your barrel I'll be happy to ruin mine with it
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Just save it with your SHTF stash.  If you don't yet have a SHTF stash started, then use this to start it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#12]
There is a nice DNR range at Bald Mountain SP not too far from you.  Go there, shoot it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top