BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2016 1:03:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 1:19:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Email sent.

I got the same notification, and replied yesterday.

Fingers are crossed  
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Email sent...

Hello,

I am writing to request that the Natural Resources Commission consider changing the Wildlife Conservation Order Amendment No. 1 of 2016. Specifically, the prohibition against use of subsonic ammunition and the requirement to only use suppressors that suppress less than 30 dB. Both of these requirements would be difficult, if not impossible for officers to enforce and will work directly against the key advantage of hunting (and shooting) with suppressors--the reduction of obnoxious and hearing damaging noise.

Thank you for your consideration,
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have sent an email as well.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:34:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I just called all of the members of the commission and either spoke to them (2) or left a message. I DO NOT want  restrictions on DB ratings or subsonic ammo. If these restrictions get into the language , we won't be able to properly protect our hearing with silencers while hunting. I don't think we the people should sit ideally by and let these restrictions get into the language. Please help this house and call , email, write letters and let this commission know that these restrictions are a very bad idea. I feel that most of the country will be laughing at us and will feel that we got the short end of the stick if these restrictions get into the language. I was told that these restrictions are law enforcements recommendations because of concerns of poaching. Crimes just don't get committed with NFA items . No one is going to go thru what they have to go thru to procure a silencer to poach.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#5]
done
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Email sent.

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:31:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Any update on the meeting?
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any update on the meeting?
View Quote

I called the Lansing Office and had to wait for a call back from their PR person, he told me there was no action taken and that it was informative only, but that memo was brought into the record. He also said that the public comment was all against the two restrictions and that either the NRA or ASA (he didn't remember) also spoke out against the two restrictions. It will be decided at the Feb 11 meeting in Detroit. It will either pass appropriately or it will pass as presented and we'll be the GD laughing stock in the Country as it relates to suppressors!

Part of the issue is that Michigan never passed a law with regards to suppressors possession/use, it was an Atty General opinion. Most States that
approve possession via statute also address the hunting use at that time and there's no seperate commission to deal with.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Actually, Michigan does have a law dealing with suppressors. MCL 750.224. It specifically states that suppressors are legal if you are "licensed by the Secretary of the Treasury of the United States..to possess.."  AG Schuette reversed an earlier AG (Kelly I think) erroneous opinion which stated that there was no provision for "licensing" therefore you could not possess. AG Schuette correctly read the law and stated that the intent of the language was that anyone who is approved through the US Treasury/BATF tax stamp process is "licensed".

The problem being that none of Michigan's hunting regulations are handled by legislation. They are all handled by the Commission. So, we will never have a law that deals directly about hunting with suppressors. The Legislature would have to change other laws that give the Commission their authority, and that isn't gonna happen.

Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Actually, Michigan does have a law dealing with suppressors. MCL 750.224. It specifically states that suppressors are legal if you are "licensed by the Secretary of the Treasury of the United States..to possess.."  AG Schuette reversed an earlier AG (Kelly I think) erroneous opinion which stated that there was no provision for "licensing" therefore you could not possess. AG Schuette correctly read the law and stated that the intent of the language was that anyone who is approved through the US Treasury/BATF tax stamp process is "licensed".

The problem being that none of Michigan's hunting regulations are handled by legislation. They are all handled by the Commission. So, we will never have a law that deals directly about hunting with suppressors. The Legislature would have to change other laws that give the Commission their authority, and that isn't gonna happen.

View Quote

Thank you for the correction on the AG ruling.

Bottom line, these commissioners need to hear of the support for unrestricted passage from every license buying person, every suppressor(s) owner, those that may purchase them in the future or people that just care about hearing protection afield.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Email sent.
I'm glad to see this moving forward, but I really hope they remove those two restrictions.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Email sent tonight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#13]
E-mail sent

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Latest update from the ASA

http://americansuppressorassociation.com/blog/

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I emailed back on the 15th. Hopefully they do not put those restrictions into place... It's just ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Update:

Got an e-mail from my State Rep that I'm working with on this (Cole 105th) and he included comments from NRC Chairman Matonich. While it was a lengthy e-mail, one of the key things said by the Chairman was all of the commissioners will be attending a suppressor demo put on by the American Suppressor Association before the Feb 11th meeting. I know it's hard to believe, but the chairman also indicated many of the commissiners have not had the opportunity to witness or use suppressors. He also referenced the public comments at the meeting and the e-mails they have received in support of unrestricted use.

I commend the ASA for the demo/education they're putting on. I hope this is one more piece of the puzzle to get these ridiculous restrictions overturned but this IS State Gov't so we shall see.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Update:

Got an e-mail from my State Rep that I'm working with on this (Cole 105th) and he included comments from NRC Chairman Matonich. While it was a lengthy e-mail, one of the key things said by the Chairman was all of the commissioners will be attending a suppressor demo put on by the American Suppressor Association before the Feb 11th meeting. I know it's hard to believe, but the chairman also indicated many of the commissiners have not had the opportunity to witness or use suppressors. He also referenced the public comments at the meeting and the e-mails they have received in support of unrestricted use.

I commend the ASA for the demo/education they're putting on. I hope this is one more piece of the puzzle to get these ridiculous restrictions overturned but this IS State Gov't so we shall see.
View Quote

That's good news. Getting those people to a demo will make a big difference. The majority of people think that they are what they see in movies.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Sent a reply and sent the link to all my hunting buddies with a note to send it on to their friends.
Made mention that as a Hunter Safety instructor I'd really like to be able to include it in the class to help the new generation of hunters.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Email sent!
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I called and spoke with a lot of the commissioners. It sounds like they will pass this proposal for use of silencers while hunting. The problem is it sounds like, it could end up with language that won't allow sub sonic ammunition or silencers that reduce sound signature by more than 30 dB . Please call all of the commissioners to have this stupid language removed. Don't just sit there and send only one email. Call and email all of the commissioners please. That is the only way to make them understand what we want. If enough people contact them they will listen. Act now because they will vote February11 on this issue.  NATURAL RESOURCES COMMISSION

Christine Crumbaugh

9224 N. Crapo Road
St. Louis, MI 48880
989-763-1814
Appointed: 11/20/14
Term Expires: 12/31/18

Louise Klarr
1530 N. Cranbrook Road
Bloomfield, MI 48301
248-417-5782
Appointed: 12/28/12
Term Expires: 12/31/16

John Matonich, Chair
9502 Shyre Circle
Davison, MI 48423
810-653-4817
Appointed: 7/1/10
Reappointed: 12/31/13
Term Expires: 12/31/17

Tim Nichols
624 Pine Meadow Lane
Williamston, MI 48895
313-530-0775
Appointed 5/6/09
Reappointed 12/28/12
Term Expires: 12/31/16

Vicki J. Pontz
879 Lyons Road
Portland, MI 48875
517-643-2295
Appointed: 12/31/13
Term Expires: 12/31/19

J. R. Richardson
36658 McGuire Road
Ontonagon, MI 49953
906-281-5835
Appointed: 4/6/07
Reappointed: 11/20/14
Term Expires: 12/31/18

Rex E. Schlaybaugh, Jr.
492 East Main Street
Harbor Springs, MI 49740
313-377-0152
Appointed: 1/5/12
Term Expires: 12/31/19
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]
This is getting voted on 11 February still?  Have the commission members been taken to the suppressor shoot yet and if so does anyone know how it went?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:23:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Today is the day, right? Hopefully this works out in our favor.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:41:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Fingers crossed!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Going off of what the ASA has said I'm going to assume they are correct that it passed with no stipulations.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Un-provable too  But at least it's legal now. I just need to load to 1fps higher
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#28]
What about form 1 suppressors? What a bunch of stupid fucking cock sucking sons of bitches!!! I guess I'll just carry around a piece of paper that says it's less than 30db.

Ass holes.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fingers crossed!!
View Quote

It passed! And they removed the dB and subsonic restrictions
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:58:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Never mind. Rant off
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Going to change my post then but it's quite confusing that it was released then changed. Guess it's best to just not wonder why just enjoy that it passed without the dumb shit
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody have a link to the ruling?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What about form 1 suppressors? What a bunch of stupid fucking cock sucking sons of bitches!!! I guess I'll just carry around a piece of paper that says it's less than 30db.

Ass holes.
View Quote

Ok, did it pass with no restrictions or did they screw it up?

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Ok, did it pass with no restrictions or did they screwed it up?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ass holes.

Ok, did it pass with no restrictions or did they screwed it up?

American Suppressor Assoc. is reporting that it passed without restriction.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:02:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Wow, by the time I finished my post and submitted it we now have conflicting info. I just went to the ASA website and didn't see the update. I hope the post that listed it as passing with restrictions is wrong. Haven't found anything on the DNR website either.

I'm not letting my rant go to waste as it was very therapeutic typing it:).

So my fucking centerfire can that is advertised as more than 30dB reduction can't be used? Thanks for nothing you Goddamned lefties! How fucking embarrassing for Michigan. It would be great if all mfg's listed the dB reduction for Michigan as 30dB in addition to the other numbers for the 'free' States OR do as SilencerCo does and list only total dB's vs reduction and there's not a damn thing they could do about it! Most modern rimfires are all at least 40dB or more (no doubt to screw us that are forced to use .22's or .22 Mags to hunt coyotes at night).
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Thanks, I don't do Facebook which is why I didn't see it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Great news!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:47:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Looks like I'll be filling out at least three more Form 1's tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#43]
WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Here is the LINK to the American Suppressor Association article.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is the language of the email the NRA-ILA just released;

Yesterday, February 11, the Michigan
Natural Resources Commission (NRC) voted to repeal the long-standing
state prohibition on hunting with legally possessed firearm sound
suppressors.  With the repeal of Wildlife Conservation Order 2.1(6), Michigan becomes the 38th state to recognize the utility of suppressor technology for law-abiding sportsmen.

While several iterations of the rule
change were contemplated over the past several months, the NRC
ultimately decided that an outright repeal of the prohibition on
suppressed hunting was in the best interest of sportsmen in The Great
Lakes State.  This is a major victory for law-abiding sportsmen in
Michigan.

In recent years, the use of suppressors
has seen significant growth as more shooters and sportsmen learn of
their benefits.  Evidence has shown that the use of suppressors fosters a
safer and more enjoyable shooting and hunting experience for the
following reasons:

• Suppressors protect against permanent hearing loss, one of the
    most commonly experienced hunting-related injuries, by decreasing the
    decibel level associated with muzzle blast;

• Suppressors increase shot accuracy by reducing noise and felt
    recoil, thereby mitigating trigger flinch and resulting in a more humane
    taking of game;

• Suppressors mitigate many of the hindrances associated with
    introducing newer generations to hunting, thereby helping to ensure the
    propagation of Michigan's rich hunting heritage; and

• Suppressors benefit wildlife populations by decreasing stress and
    behavioral changes resulting from loud, widely audible firearm report.

Your
NRA-ILA would like to thank the NRC Commissioners, Michigan Department
of Natural Resources, American Suppressor Association (ASA), and the
numerous Michiganders who provided public testimony and made phone calls
in support of this rule change.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#46]

Kinda funny...had a MOJO critter show up in the mail yesterday!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#48]
This is awesome!!!!!

Does this go into affect immediately? Read 2 different things, one saying yes other saying Nov1
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Ha!  Another pro gun win for us.  What's next?  Let's get rid of that pistol registration BS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This is awesome!!!!!

Does this go into affect immediately? Read 2 different things, one saying yes other saying Nov1
View Quote
Yes, it's in effect now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top