Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2015 3:04:55 PM EDT
Recently moved back to MI from NC and am looking for a good gun store in the greater Commerce/Walled Lake/Highland etc area. Where does arfcom spend its money in this area?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Oakland Tactical in Howell is well equipped with our type of stuff. It is about a 20 minute drive from Commerce but worth it. In Keego / Sylvan there are three shops: Target Sports, Motor City Gun Works and Guns and Safes Unlimited. Target has an indoor range. Another nice place is Accurate Firearms on Dixie in Independence. They have a nice range as well. There are one or two others, but those are the best within a short trip from Commerce.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 7:45:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I checked out Oakland Tactical's website.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You're welcome. They are worth the trip. I'm going to make a trip there this week as a matter of fact. I'm overdue for a fix.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're welcome. They are worth the trip. I'm going to make a trip there this week as a matter of fact. I'm overdue for a fix.
View Quote

I took my CPL class yesterday at Action Impact in Southfield, the class itself was OK but their prices are insane, I won't be buying anything from them. I was spoiled in NC living about two miles from an amazing gun shop with awesome prices and a great staff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Good to hear about the CPL! I haven't been to that shop in a couple of years. I don't get down that way as much. I made it out to Oakland Tactical today. Spent my birthday gift certificate!

Link Posted: 12/22/2015 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good to hear about the CPL! I haven't been to that shop in a couple of years. I don't get down that way as much. I made it out to Oakland Tactical today. Spent my birthday gift certificate!

View Quote

Thanks, I've had it since 2010 in NC but with the move back have to go through the hoops again.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Just curious, but we're you required to take the CPL class or did you just elect to do it to be up on Michigan law? All of the reciprocity issues make my head hurt. I can't keep up.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just curious, but we're you required to take the CPL class or did you just elect to do it to be up on Michigan law? All of the reciprocity issues make my head hurt. I can't keep up.

View Quote

I had to retake the class, even tho NC and MI have reciprocity since I am now a MI resident, I need a MI CPL
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah. Thanks.

Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:05:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Oakland tactical is good.  There's also a small pawn shop somewhere between white lake and waterford (not the one in Pontiac) that seemed to have good prices.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I really like Oakland Tactical as well, my favorite.  I also like Accurate Firearms in Clarkston
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Oakland Tactical is a good choice but I felt a little high on price.  I love going in there to day dream though.
Another great (and better solution IMO) is Accurate Firearms in Clarkston.  A shorter drive, MUCH bigger selection and a new shooting range next door.

Good group of people here, clean and well managed.

www.accuratefirearmsllc.com
www.accruraterangellc.com
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oakland Tactical is a good choice but I felt a little high on price.  I love going in there to day dream though.
Another great (and better solution IMO) is Accurate Firearms in Clarkston.  A shorter drive, MUCH bigger selection and a new shooting range next door.

Good group of people here, clean and well managed.

www.accuratefirearmsllc.com
www.accruraterangellc.com
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#14]
A touch west of you, I think Peacemakers is worth a drive.  Not big, but the stuff they have is in the wheelhouse and they have a nice new range.  Most importantly I think their prices are awfully great- good enough to pick it up there instead of a transfer (which they are happy to do as well).  Although a fairly new shop I find them to be awfully, awfully easy to deal with and "down-to-earth".

http://www.peacemakersgunrange.com/content/
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A touch west of you, I think Peacemakers is worth a drive.  Not big, but the stuff they have is in the wheelhouse and they have a nice new range.  Most importantly I think their prices are awfully great- good enough to pick it up there instead of a transfer (which they are happy to do as well).  Although a fairly new shop I find them to be awfully, awfully easy to deal with and "down-to-earth".

http://www.peacemakersgunrange.com/content/
View Quote

Nice, I am out that way often as I am originally from Brighton.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Went to Accurate just yesterday.  Shot the simulator range.  Really cool!  The shop is super nice too!  
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#17]
RobDog,

I shoot there every Tuesday in their tactical pistol league, and concealed carry leagues.
If you're close enough you should consider the tactical pistol league or concealed carry league, they're cheap, fun and a great way to get training in you can't get at most local ranges.

$10.00 for the event, you shoot 50 rounds but instead of standing at the booth, you get to run n' gun, engaging targets behind barriers and going through tac reloads.
(It lasts 12 weeks, but you don't really have to be there for every week if you don't want to win prizes)

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Whoa!  That sounds awesome!  I'll look into it.  I'm kind of far away though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
RobDog,

I shoot there every Tuesday in their tactical pistol league, and concealed carry leagues.
If you're close enough you should consider the tactical pistol league or concealed carry league, they're cheap, fun and a great way to get training in you can't get at most local ranges.

$10.00 for the event, you shoot 50 rounds but instead of standing at the booth, you get to run n' gun, engaging targets behind barriers and going through tac reloads.
(It lasts 12 weeks, but you don't really have to be there for every week if you don't want to win prizes)

View Quote

That sounds like a riot. What is the difference between the CC League and Tactical League?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#20]
With the concealed carry league you do stay in your lane as you would at any range, but you draw from your holster, engage a target based on whatever the the range officer requests.
An example would be: Draw from your holster, 2 shots head 1 shot to the body, reload then 2 shots weak hand or another example would be while carrying a grocery bag, draw from your holster engage strong hand only, reload then 2 more shots head on a second target.

The tactical league is always 10 shots, sometimes 5 rounds reload then 5 rounds... sometimes 6 or 4 rounds then reload.
You will start low ready from behind a barricade, move to a second barricade while shooting 3 rounds, then shoot 2 more rounds behind cover.  Reload, advance to a second barricade and engage your target.

The evolution and targets change each week so you never do the same thing twice.

Here is a link to some videos from their range:
Accurate Range You Tube Page

Here is a link to their current league:
Accurate Range Leagues

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top