Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2015 6:41:00 PM EDT
I've read the "Federally approved SBR/SBS are now lawful" thread and couldn't find the answer I'm looking for. I'm curious with the law passed last year if it is still possible to register an AR lower as a pistol if the OAL (according to the state of Michigan) is under 26".

Example: I will have a lower approved by the ATF, but want a separate lower registered as a pistol in case I want to cross state lines so I won't have to fill out a form 20.

The pistol lower wouldn't have a buttstock and there wouldn't be a fore grip on the hand guard. I'm just not sure with the new law if that is possible if the OAL (according to state of Michigan) is less than 26".

Thanks for any information. I'll check back later.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#1]
There is no OAL requirements for pistols. You can register the non-SBR lower as a pistol. Doesn't matter how long it is.

The SBR lower also needs to be registered as a pistol if the OAL is less than 26".
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent. Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure the confusion stems from the old MI pistol definition not matching the federal definition. Under the old law, MI defined a "pistol" (basically for registration and CPL purposes) as a firearm less than 30" in length. The federal law didn't have an OAL defined and rifles under 26" OAL are SBRs. This allowed for rifles between 26" and 30" OAL to be registered as a pistol in MI and be provided the same benefits as a true pistol (non-shoulder fired firearm) under the CPL law. Now, MI's laws match federal laws and there is no pistol OAL specification and SBRs are rifles under 26". The only quirk is that MI requires SBRs under 26" to be registered as a pistol, while federally they are treated as rifles (albeit NFA items) for transfers and such.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Now if you have the troy pdw stock on your sbr do they measure it collapsed or extended?
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
My understanding is that Michigan measures it in it's shortest configuration (collapsed). Allow others to chime in on this.
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 10:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My understanding is that Michigan measures it in it's shortest configuration (collapsed). Allow others to chime in on this.
View Quote

That's my understanding as well, although I've never actually found that in law, an Attorney General opinion, or an MSP Legal Update that I can remember. I wish I had hard proof that the collapsed position was the correct way to measure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top