Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2015 5:12:16 PM EDT
I thought I saw a thread on this, but maybe it was only the NRA ILA e-mail.

Anyways, our favorite state senator, Rebekah Warren (D - Ann Arbor) introduced Michigan Senate Bill 611 on 10 November 2015. It is currently referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

This bill seeks to:
A bill to repeal 2006 PA 309, entitled "Self-defense act," (MCL 780.971 to 780.974); and to repeal acts and parts of acts.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:

Enacting section 1. The self-defense act, 2006 PA 309, MCL 780.971 to 780.974, is repealed. [MCL 780.971, 780.972, 780.973, 780.974] (This would limit our use of force for self-defense and eliminate the 'no duty to retreat'.)

Enacting section 2. The following acts and parts of acts are repealed:
(a) Sections 2922b and 2922c of the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.2922b and 600.2922c. (This removes our civil liability immunity in self-defense cases.)
(b) Section 21c of chapter VIII of the code of criminal procedure, 1927 PA 175, MCL 768.21c. (THIS WOULD REPEAL CASTLE DOCTRINE!)
(c) 2006 PA 310, MCL 780.961.
(d) 2006 PA 311, MCL 780.951.
View Quote

I urge all of you to contact your State Senator, especially if they are on the Senate Judiciary Committee: Rick Jones (R - Lansing), Tonya Schuitmaker (R- Allegan), Tory Rocca (R - Sterling Heights, Patrick Colbeck (R - Livonia), and Steve Bieda (D - Warren).

I have already contacted Steve Bieda, my state senator and received this response:
November 19, 2015

Dear rjbergen:

Thank you for writing regarding your opposition to Senate Bill 611.  I appreciated receiving your input on this bill, and your letter will be helpful if this bill comes before me in committee or on the Senate Floor.

You made some very good points in your letter. Senate Bill 611 repeals the “castle doctrine” law which allows the right to use deadly force in self-defense and defense of others.   Currently, this bill is in the Senate Judiciary Committee.  At this time, I do not expect this legislation to see any movement.  However, if you would like to follow the status on this bill and any others, please go to www.michiganlegislature.org.

Again, thank you for writing.  If I may be of assistance in further state matters, please do not hesitate to contact me.  I also invite you to please feel free to sign up for my e-newsletter at www.senate.michigan.gov/bieda.

Sincerely,

Steve Bieda
State Senator
9th District

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 13, 2015 5:27 PM
To: [email protected]; The Office of Senator Bieda <[email protected]>
Subject: Contact form submission: Senate Bill 611 (2015)

Contact form submission:

Subject: Senate Bill 611 (2015)

Senator Bieda,

I am writing to you regarding Senate Bill 611 which was introduced and referred to the Judiciary Committee on 10 November 2015. This bill seeks to repeal the Michigan Self-Defense Act from 2006. I urge you not to take this bill to consideration of the Judiciary committee, and to vote against it should it be brought before the Judiciary committee.

The Michigan Self-Defense Act provides legal grounds for the use of force to protect oneself or others from grave bodily harm, including death or sexual assault. It does not provide a \"license to kill\" as some would like us to believe. It does not legalize the use of force except in situations where grave bodily harm, death, or sexual assault are imminent. Any human being should have the right to protect themselves from grave bodily harm, death, or sexual assault about to be inflicted upon them by another person.

Senate Bill 611 seeks to remove the legal basis for Michigander\'s ability to defend themselves. If Senate Bill 611 passes, Michiganders will be unable to defend themselves until grave bodily harm, death, or sexual assault has been inflicted upon them, and at that point, they may not be able to defend themselves at all. Senate Bill 611 will open Michiganders to victimization by criminals.

Again, I urge you to vote against Senate Bill 611 and stand up for Michiganders so that they may defend themselves from grave bodily injury, death, and sexual assault.

Thank you,
rjbergen
View Quote

Thankfully, it does not appear that this bill will go anywhere, expecially with a Republican committee, but we still need to voice our opposition and ensure we do not lose these vital legal protections. Act early to make sure this never sees the light of day.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:16:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll write to my senator.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's what my (Communist- thanks a lot Ann Arbor Libtards) rep had to say in response;

Thank you for contacting me regarding Senate Bill 611, which works to retain the castle doctrine's fundamental right to defend oneself against physical attack in one's home, while repealing the 2006 law that greatly expanded the provision allowing an individual to use deadly force anywhere one has the right to be, with no duty to retreat.

As you know, generally, Michigan's "castle doctrine" establishes that an individual attacked in their home is authorized to use reasonable force, which may include deadly force, to protect their life without a duty to retreat from the attacker. This fundamental right to defend oneself against physical attack is further affirmed by Article 1, Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution, but it is not absolute. Under these provisions, the key test for determining when the use of deadly force is justified is whether a person "honestly and reasonably" believed they were in danger of imminent death or serious bodily harm.

In recent years, however, about 15 states, including Michigan, have adopted laws expanding and enlarging the circumstances where a person can use self-defense without retreating and containing provisions such as civil immunity. In 2006, Michigan enacted the Self-Defense Act, which is similar to Florida's laws, broadening the castle doctrine to allow a person to use deadly force without the duty to retreat from any place one has the legal right to be. As a result, Michigan citizens acting in self-defense now have substantial immunity from both criminal and civil liability under the new laws.

While a citizen's right to defend oneself must be protected, I am deeply troubled by the potential for civil rights violations under this specific statute, especially given George Zimmerman's acquittal in Florida. It is for these reasons, and at the behest of local ministers and community leaders, that I have introduced SB 611 in order to restore our previous legal standard, and once again strike the delicate balance necessary to preserve this fundamental freedom and ensure justice under the law.

While we may fall on different sides of this particular issue, please know that, moving forward, I am committed to taking a key role in this critical conversation and look forward to working with my colleagues in the Legislature to fight for policies that foster a safer environment for citizens throughout our state.

Once again, thank you for your correspondence. Of course, if you have any questions or would like more information, please do not hesitate to contact me at (517) 373-2406 or [email protected].

Sincerely (by which we really  mean F%CK YOU),

Rebekah Warren

State Senator

18th District
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 12:17:22 AM EDT
[#3]
What a fucking retard.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's what my (Communist- thanks a lot Ann Arbor Libtards) rep had to say in response;
I am deeply troubled by the potential for civil rights violations under this specific statute, especially given George Zimmerman's acquittal in Florida. It is for these reasons, and at the behest of local ministers and community leaders, that I have introduced SB 611 in order to restore our previous legal standard, and once again strike the delicate balance necessary to preserve this fundamental freedom and ensure justice under the law.
View Quote

So what I get from that is, "I'm a fucking retard diseased with liberalism and I love criminals and wish people would stop shooting my thug life friends."

Why shouldn't we have criminal and civil liability for defending ourselves from thugs attacking us anywhere that we have the legal right to be and are not committing a crime? According to Retard Warren, oh I'm sorry it's Rebekah (I got confused for a second), we should only be safe in our homes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]

I expect this bill to be DOA. Will not get out of committee. Fuck all liberals.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
What bullshit is this bill?!
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 1:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Email sent
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:32:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Email sent
View Quote

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top