Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2015 2:34:52 PM EDT
Hunted in Presque Isle Co.  Shot this nice 8-pointer at around 9 AM on opening day with my 6.8mm PSA; roughly 100 to 150 yards or so, double-lunged it.  Dragged it through ~1/2 mile of recently downed timber and swamp, which thoroughly kicked my ass.

Just dropped it off at the Almont Smokehouse, and I was surprised that it only weighed in at 140 pounds.  Going to Euro-mount the skull.

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!   Nice buck.  Didn't see anything near that size yet.  Passed on several smaller scrub bucks and does so far.  Primarily due to warm weather and the fact that I want to take it to my processor down state.  Figure I'll hold off until Friday or Saturday and then shoot some meat for the freezer if I don't see something as nice as yours.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 6:44:06 PM EDT
[#2]
nice deer.  A lot further than I have ever dragged one, I guess thats one of the very few upsides to hunting small parcels down state.  I saw two buttons and thats it.    I didnt hear many shots either with is very unusual considering I'm surrounded by 5 and 10 acre spots with a few hunters on each.   Usually its constant shooting.   I only made it out bow hunting a couple times but didnt really see anything.  Seems like a lot less deer all around this year.

Congrats
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I passed on smaller bucks.  I heard very little shooting this year.  I'm looking to fill two antler less tags between firearm, muzzloader, and the late antler less seasons.  Hopefully we get some cold weather soon.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:50:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice buck!!

I got skunked Sunday morning.  Not that it matters much, since i'm basically tagged out.

Got an 8 point opening day of bow season, and a bigger 8 last w/e.  

I'm really just keeping tabs on things in the woods for my wife.  Just waiting to see if she shoots anything this year.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a crap year so far, all I see are does.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a nice 4 point in Roscommon County first thing opening morning.

I dropped mine off at the Smokehouse in Almost too, as I have the past few years.  I really do think their scales are light there.  Mine was 120lbs according to them.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hunted in Presque Isle Co.  Shot this nice 8-pointer at around 9 AM on opening day with my 6.8mm PSA; roughly 100 to 150 yards or so, double-lunged it.  Dragged it through ~1/2 mile of recently downed timber and swamp, which thoroughly kicked my ass.

Just dropped it off at the Almont Smokehouse, and I was surprised that it only weighed in at 140 pounds.  Going to Euro-mount the skull.

http://i.imgur.com/qwSfM3S.jpg
View Quote

Nice deer, look at the neck on that sucker!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I didn't see a thing opening morning. That evening I saw 2 does. But I waited too long to buy a private land tag for my area, and they were sold out. Not much shooting was going on either.

So it's bucks only now. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning, saw nothing, heard nothing. Thursday morning, thing were very different. Several small groups of does came through around 7:30 - 8am. OK, there got's to a horny buck around here. Sure enough, about 8:20am here he comes. Nose to the ground and not paying attention. 1 shot in the base of the neck. DRT. Haven't weighed him yet, but he's a 8pt. I'm guessing around 140 pounds. Only pictures I have are on my cell phone. My shot was the only one I heard that day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a nice 8 point last Sunday evening at around 5:25 up near my old home town of Whittemore in Iosco county.   Funny thing, I didn't go out to the barn loft until after the Lions game was over at 4:45.  I used my Browning Bar II Safari grade 30-06.   One shot at about 45 yards.

Ross Man with his winter meat

Ross Man with his winter meat Pic #2
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Slim pickin's in Ontonagon county.

I saw nothing the first 3 days. I was in da woods everyday all day - even in the rain - and saw only six deer from Sunday through Saturday. I covered a lot of ground on foot walking 3-5 miles a day.  River bottoms, big hills, thick cover just damn few deer left on the west end.

Nearby camp where they hunt over bait & from heated blinds - 5 guys saw zero deer. Game cams showed only a 5 or 6 on their entire 70ac parcel.

The "Deer Hunters Roundup" on WUPY reported larger deer with many being 8 points.  Not many small deer taken as the 2-3-4yr old deer didn't make it past the wolves & last three severe winters
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:35:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Got a 3.5yr old Doe on the 15th

2.5yr old 8pt on the 19th

with this 243 Encore

Both taken at my managed habitat in Manton
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#14]
And thats a wrap!

And not a damn thing! Saw some does,but couldn't get a shot on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Got a nice 3yo doe this evening. Meat for the freezer.

Didnt see horns all season.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I picked up my meat from the Country Smokehouse in Almont yesterday and there were quite a few guys dropping off deer.  Good to see that there was still action up to the end for some people.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Saw 3 different does, 6 fawns, and one button buck in the last two weeks.  I'm going out for one last firearm session tonight, then I'll be trying to bowhunt an antlerless deer until muzzleloader season opens.  I saw nothing during early bow season.

Last night my session was ruined by four guys trampling through the swamp next to me.  On the drive out I saw 2 does and four fawns standing in the front yard of a house that borders the same section of swamp.

ETA: I wish I bought an antlerless tag.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:52:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Final tally for this year's camp: 20 deer, 6 hunters or so.  I was only able to hunt 2 days.  Bagged the OP 8-pointer early on opening day, and took a shot (and missed) at another the next.

Here's the meat pole:

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Final tally for this year's camp: 20 deer, 6 hunters or so.  I was only able to hunt 2 days.  Bagged the OP 8-pointer early on opening day, and took a shot (and missed) at another the next.

Here's the meat pole:

http://i.imgur.com/47XOfM4.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#20]
We were hunting Presque Isle Co. as well.  Here's my son's first deer, a Thanksgiving morning 9 point.  He made a perfect shot hitting both lungs and disconnecting the aorta at 35 yards with a .260 Rem. loaded with a 140 gr Hornady SST out of a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle.   The deer hardly moved after the shot.

Link Posted: 12/2/2015 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We were hunting Presque Isle Co. as well.  Here's my son's first deer, a Thanksgiving morning 9 point.  He made a perfect shot hitting both lungs and disconnecting the aorta at 35 yards with a .260 Rem. loaded with a 140 gr Hornady SST out of a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle.   The deer hardly moved after the shot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/GUNS/IMG_3943_zpsn1eqms7s.jpg
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top