Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2015 1:09:39 PM EDT
Started off pretty good here.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Couldn't get off work, so it starts tomorrow for me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice start. What broadhead are you shooting? Looks like a 308 hole.

10/5/15 Update- Bunch of does last night. I got to go disable the deer's alarm system today. Lots of chipmunks and ground squirrels. Never seen so many. Had them come right up next to my head. I knew I bought that 22 Buckmark for something...
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

75mm sabot hole

Fixed it for you

Eta, bow season? You mean time to get everything in order for duck season right?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice one!   I haven't seen a deer yet.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 8:04:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was a 1 3/4" Grim Reaper.  I usually use 1 3/4 Wasp Jakhammers.

I don't think the pic does it justice.  I could nearly put my fist in there.  

And the blood trail sucked!  We got very lucky tracking him.

He made it across the property line, and my neighbor found him while looking for a doe he shot.  He led us right to him.
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I've seen more deer in the first three days of this season than I did the entire season last year. Now jut to get one inside of 30 yards
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I took an 8 point at 9:15 Friday morning.  I'll see about posting a pic when I get home from camp.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have shot at least 25+ bucks with bow and arrow and I have never seen a exit hole like that from an arrow. But as said it does look like a bullet hole.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have shot at least 25+ bucks with bow and arrow and I have never seen a exit hole like that from an arrow. But as said it does look like a bullet hole.
View Quote

That's the entry hole.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's the entry hole.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the entry hole.

Ok, even my wife laughed at that.
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Didn't see anything this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I passed on 2 small bucks and several does opening day.  I'll pay for that.   The does kept looking back into the woods.  Heading out tomorrow all day.  Just too much food everywhere for them on my land right now, they can bed and eat just about anywhere.   Maybe the beans and corn with get taken out earlier this year.  

Good luck all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I've gone out twice haven't had luck even seeing deer.  Father in law passed on a couple for 1st day out.

Going today, so here's hoping.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Been out 3 evenings on my property.  Could have shot 2 bucks 4 doe, 3 bucks 2 doe, and 3 bucks 2 doe on those nights respectively.  Had one shooter (3 to 4 year old 130" 8 pt.) hold up at 41 yards while facing me for 15 minutes.  I couldn't do a thing as his 'scout' (a 2 year old 8 pt was right on top of me.   Looks like I finally got rid of one neighbor (two brothers) that shoot anything that moves.  Their mom (yes they are 40 years old + and still live at home with mommy) sold off their huntable and farmable acerage.  That should help save 3 or 4 young bucks this year.  I sure hope MIDNR will pull their heads out of their ass and change the regulations to Ohio's regs.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 11:20:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rage 2 blade

Link Posted: 10/20/2015 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Rage 2 blade
<a href="http://s357.photobucket.com/user/explodingvarmints/media/Rage%20Doe.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/explodingvarmints/Rage%20Doe.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rage 2 blade
<a href="http://s357.photobucket.com/user/explodingvarmints/media/Rage%20Doe.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/explodingvarmints/Rage%20Doe.jpg</a>

Dayum!!

My son got a spike Saturday evening.  

That was the 1st time he's hunted in 5 years.
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:56:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going up north and getting out this weekend for the first time.  
I'm waiting on the shop to put a new string on my bow  if it isn't done by Saturday, I'm going out with the recurve!  
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Death in the family has all my weekends jacked up. Was able to get out in the middle of last week and surprisingly had a 4 point stand broadside at 15 yards. A little too small to take right now but was encouraging.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Rage 2 blade
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rage 2 blade

I have been running Rage heads for a few years also. But I have yet to see ANY head make a perfect hole, a slice yes a circle no. I would like to see that deer skinned. It don't matter I know what I'm seeing. If DNR seen that deer with a hole like that in the field you can bet your ass a powder test would be getting done.
Link Posted: 10/21/2015 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have been running Rage heads for a few years also. But I have yet to see ANY head make a perfect hole, a slice yes a circle no. I would like to see that deer skinned. It don't matter I know what I'm seeing. If DNR seen that deer with a hole like that in the field you can bet your ass a powder test would be getting done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rage 2 blade

Yep, it's a strange looking hole, for sure, from the outside.  I've shot around 40 deer with archery equipment, and I don't recall seeing 1 like this either.

And now that I think about it, I don't recall ever seeing a hole like this from a rifle, either.  And I use .308.

I shot him at 27 yards with a 10 Point Stealth, Easton FMJ bolt, and 1 3/4 Grim Reaper broadhead.

And FTR, neither my butcher or taxidermist found anything out of the ordinary.
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I finally got on the board.  Big 7 point and a very fat doe last night about 45 minutes apart.  Doe went about 50 yards leaving a blood trail Hellen Keller could follow, and the buck went about 75 feet, no blood trail, something major must have gotten hit and he bled internally.  

G5 Montecs/Mathews Chill 60#

I thought the buck was an 8 as that is my goal, but close enough.  I can relax now and fill 3 more antlerless tags during rifle/muzzleloader/late antlerless, and hold out for one of the big ones I was getting on my cams all summer with the other buck tag.  

No decent pics, by the time I got them out of the briars (they ran in different directions), ran up top a half mile to get the truck before the coyotes got them, and cleaned them I was just too tired.  

Link Posted: 11/8/2015 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#22]
This rut is in full swing.

Get your asses in the woods!!  

The result of last nights adventure:  

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I am about to do something nearly as wasteful as buying a lotto ticket.

I am buying ONE firearms deer tag.  I will be surprised if I see more than two deer during opening week in Ontonagon county.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I am buying ONE firearms deer tag.  I will be surprised if I see more than two deer during opening week in Ontonagon county.
View Quote
Man, you're serious about going up north to hunt.

Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man it must be really bad up there. I hunt down below the rifle line and I have seen more deer this year than I have in the last few years combined. I've only had 2 hunts so far where I didn't see a deer.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll get Friday and Saturday night in with the bow, and then it's rifle time.

I'm hoping this guy sticks around for me.

Link Posted: 11/16/2015 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Haven't seen much in the way of deer here, but it sure is nice hunting in a sweatshirt. Have seen a few mosquitoes tho.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top