Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2015 6:00:23 PM EDT
I wondered how long its taking to get cpl. I applied for renewal in july. It only took 30 days for the last one. Also what determines who gets an extension?
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:03:19 PM EDT
[#1]
#locationmatters
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine was renewed in May, think it was around 35-40days turn around. Located in Kent County.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you in Wayne County? I am in Wayne and I just renewed mine on 8/31. It was supposed to expire on 9/1. I did it at the Henry Ruff location. What the chick at the counter told me was this:

Since the license was expiring, I could NOT carry until it was renewed. If I didn't hear anything by 10/31, I could carry again on the expired license, until I received my new license, which could take as long as four months, as long as I had the renewal receipt stapled to the card. If I got a letter saying I was an asshole and my CCW was revoked, I had to make an appointment with the powers that be and plead to be given my rights back.

When I renewed in 2010, I got my renewal license in two or three weeks. I was also allowed to continue carrying, as long as I had my renewal receipt stapled to my license. I am not sure what happened this time, but I am thinking we people in Wayne County got screwed again...
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I had about 12 days for mine. I'll tell your where when you do
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got mine in the mail, in Wayne County, 53 days after renewing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you in Wayne County? I am in Wayne and I just renewed mine on 8/31. It was supposed to expire on 9/1. I did it at the Henry Ruff location. What the chick at the counter told me was this:

Since the license was expiring, I could NOT carry until it was renewed. If I didn't hear anything by 10/31, I could carry again on the expired license, until I received my new license, which could take as long as four months, as long as I had the renewal receipt stapled to the card. If I got a letter saying I was an asshole and my CCW was revoked, I had to make an appointment with the powers that be and plead to be given my rights back.

When I renewed in 2010, I got my renewal license in two or three weeks. I was also allowed to continue carrying, as long as I had my renewal receipt stapled to my license. I am not sure what happened this time, but I am thinking we people in Wayne County got screwed again...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Under the current MCL 28.425b for new license applications:
(13) Until November 30, 2015, and subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45 days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10).

(9) Beginning December 1, 2015, a receipt under this subsection shall contain all of the following:

(f) The statement "This receipt was issued for the purpose of applying for a concealed pistol license. As provided in section 5b of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425b, if a license or notice of statutory disqualification is not issued within 45 days after the date this receipt was issued, this receipt shall serve as a concealed pistol license for the individual named in the receipt when carried with an official state-issued driver license or personal identification card. The receipt is valid as a license until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk. This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchase of firearms.".

Under the current MCL 28.425l for renewal licenses:
(3) Until November 30, 2015, the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a renewal license within 60 days after the application for renewal is properly submitted. The county clerk shall issue the applicant a receipt for his or her renewal application at the time the application is submitted to the county clerk.
[snip]
The receipt issued under this subsection shall contain all of the following:
(e) Until November 30, 2015, the statement that the receipt is for a license renewal. Beginning December 1, 2015, the statement "This receipt was issued for the purpose of renewal of a concealed pistol license. As provided in section 5l of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425l, this receipt shall serve as a concealed pistol license for the individual named in the receipt when carried with the expired license and is valid until a license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued by the county clerk. This receipt does not exempt the individual named in the receipt from complying with all applicable laws for the purchase of firearms.".

(5) Until November 30, 2015, if the concealed weapon licensing board fails to deny or issue a renewal license to the person within 60 days as required under subsection (4), the expiration date of the current license is extended by 180 days or until the renewal license is issued, whichever occurs first. This subsection does not apply unless the person pays the renewal fee at the time the renewal application is submitted and the person has submitted a receipt from a police agency that confirms that a background check has been requested by the applicant. Beginning December 1, 2015, if an individual applies for a renewal license before the expiration of his or her license, the expiration date of the current license is extended until the renewal license or notice of statutory disqualification is issued. Beginning December 1, 2015, the county clerk shall notify the department of state police in a manner prescribed by the department of state police after he or she receives an application for renewal. Beginning December 1, 2015, the department of state police shall immediately enter into the law enforcement information network the date that application for renewal was submitted and that the renewal application is pending.

The clerk's statement was actually correct for your renewal. Unfrotunately, the amended law does not take effect until 1 December 2015. Under the current law, the county must have had your renewal application for 60+ days for your current expiration date to be extended. If you had applied prior to 1 July, you would not have had a lapse in your CPL.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a further question.  I originally had a Michigan CPL 9 years ago,  which technically expired when I moved to Oregon in 2008.  I just bought a house in Wayne county and am moving back in 2016.  I currently have an Oregon CHL and took a Michigan test in MI in 2006.  My question is this part...

3. Be a resident of the State of Michigan for at least 6 months prior to application. An applicant is a state resident if one of the following applies:

The applicant possesses a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver's license or state identification card
   The applicant is lawfully registered to vote in Michigan
   The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and stationed outside of Michigan, but Michigan is the home of record
   The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and is permanently stationed in Michigan, but the home of record is another state

Note: The 6-month residency requirement may be waived by the concealed pistol licensing board for new residents licensed by another state.
View Quote

Does that note allow me to apply for a Michigan CPL as soon as I get moved in?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Note: The 6-month residency requirement may be waived by the concealed pistol licensing board for new residents licensed by another state.

Yes. I'm not sure how you obtain the exemption (maybe by simply showing your Oregon CHL to the Wayne County Clerk when you submit your MI CPL application?), but you are exempt from the residency requirement due to possessing an OR CHL. However, your OR CHL will not be valid as MI doesn't recognize non-resident permits and Wayne County seems to be running a few months for issuing CPLs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes. I'm not sure how you obtain the exemption (maybe by simply showing your Oregon CHL to the Wayne County Clerk when you submit your MI CPL application?), but you are exempt from the residency requirement due to possessing an OR CHL. However, your OR CHL will not be valid as MI doesn't recognize non-resident permits and Wayne County seems to be running a few months for issuing CPLs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure about the part in red?  According to every reciprocity map,  Michigan allows me to carry with an OR CHL.
Unless you are saying that once I get a Michigan license it's no longer valid,  which in that case would be correct.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Iam in monroe county . I was in wayne county the last time . I had it back in 2-3 weeks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Are you sure about the part in red?  According to every reciprocity map,  Michigan allows me to carry with an OR CHL.
Unless you are saying that once I get a Michigan license it's no longer valid,  which in that case would be correct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Non-resident is different than out of state.

If you're here visiting, as am OR resident, your OR permit is gtg.  That would be out of state.

Once you become a resident of MI, your OR permit, if even still valid there, would be non-resident.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If you're here visiting, as am OR resident, your OR permit is gtg.  That would be out of state.

Once you become a resident of MI, your OR permit, if even still valid there, would be non-resident.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct. I was referring to once you establish residency in MI.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 3:09:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha.  Any idea if the Westland location is better than Detroit as far as return times?  My house is closer to the Detroit location.
Also,  my brother is currently a CPL holder in Washtenaw county and is moving into my house.  How does he go about changing addresses and will he have to wait for a new CPL?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Gotcha.  Any idea if the Westland location is better than Detroit as far as return times?  My house is closer to the Detroit location.
Also,  my brother is currently a CPL holder in Washtenaw county and is moving into my house.  How does he go about changing addresses and will he have to wait for a new CPL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Westland is closer to me, but I would go there anyway to avoid downtown.

Turn-around time?  My last renewal was 3 years ago, and took about a month.

Your brother doesn't need to do anything until time to renew.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea about different locations. You have to turn in your application at the county clerk's office, and most counties in MI (Macomb where I am at for example) only have one clerk's office location. If there's an office in Westland, I'd go there just to avoid driving downtown and having to find parking.

Your brother is good to go until he renews. Your address is not listed on the actual license card, so it doesn't matter, even if he moves to a different county.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually found going downtown to be much faster.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#17]
All good info to know.  

I'm trying to make this move as painless as possible.  I'd like to minimize my non-carry time too,  since I'll probably be driving through Detroit to get to work.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No idea about different locations. You have to turn in your application at the county clerk's office, and most counties in MI (Macomb where I am at for example) only have one clerk's office location. If there's an office in Westland, I'd go there just to avoid driving downtown and having to find parking.

Your brother is good to go until he renews. Your address is not listed on the actual license card, so it doesn't matter, even if he moves to a different county.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's actually in Wayne, but who's counting?    (I should have said that earlier)

Anyway, the CC has a satellite office on Henry Ruff, in the Sherrifs Office.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

SNIP

If you had applied prior to 1 July, you would not have had a lapse in your CPL.
View Quote

I know. Money issues suck sometimes...
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#20]
nevermind
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top