Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2015 8:58:27 AM EDT
My dad lives in the UP.  As I read the regs book, it looks like you can buy one deer tag and shoot a spike or better OR you can buy two tags and shoot a 3+ APR and a 4+ APR buck.  My dad says minimum is 3+ APR either way. No does this year in UP it looks like. Who is correct?
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My dad lives in the UP.  As I read the regs book, it looks like you can buy one deer tag and shoot a spike or better OR you can buy two tags and shoot a 3+ APR and a 4+ APR buck.  My dad says minimum is 3+ APR either way. No does this year in UP it looks like. Who is correct?
View Quote

With 2 tags in the UP,  first buck must be 3 points on one side or more, second buck must be 4 points on one side or more, all seasons.

With one antlered buck tag, all seasons, the buck must have one antler over 3 inches.  

Looks like no antlerless permits in the UP this year.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Just jumping in on this topic.  I might be relocating to the GR area and want to know what .458 socom , 300 blackout, or .50 Beowulf are legal in MI for deer hunting. and if they can be used in any of the zones.

TIA

Rich B

Orlando,Fl (hopefully  Grand Rapids here shortly)
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 7:52:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Check the Michigan DNR site for detailed regs.  

We have a Shotgun/straight walled cartridge zone in the southern half of the lower peninsula, about that you are fine with anything.  The caliber in the southern zone must be .35, and the case length must fall within a certain range.   Pretty straight forward.  Grand Rapids is in Kent county, and the northern part is in the rifle zone.  M46 to 131 to M57, west to east on the map.  

Give me a bump if you move and need place to sight in for deer season.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:57:37 AM EDT
[#4]
A .35 caliber or larger rifle loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum
case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.80 inches.

Page 20 : http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 6:04:51 PM EDT
[#5]
.50 Beowulf and .450 Bushmaster are good to go in the limited rifle zone.  I'm still deciding over buying another upper or picking up a lever gun in .44 magnum.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Check the Michigan DNR site for detailed regs.  

We have a Shotgun/straight walled cartridge zone in the southern half of the lower peninsula, about that you are fine with anything.  The caliber in the southern zone must be .35, and the case length must fall within a certain range.   Pretty straight forward.  Grand Rapids is in Kent county, and the northern part is in the rifle zone.  M46 to 131 to M57, west to east on the map.  

Give me a bump if you move and need place to sight in for deer season.
View Quote
I had a phone interview this week and should have another with someone higher up in the next week or 2. I really hope this works out because if it doesn't I am staying down here in hell. I mean central FL.

The company is in Byron Center and I have been hitting Zillow and Realtor.com. I found a really nice place in Allegan county with 15 acres.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess the 458 SOCOM is out since it is necked down then.  I am off to find a Beowulf upper then adn build a dedicated deer rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess the 458 SOCOM is out since it is necked down then.  I am off to find a Beowulf upper then adn build a dedicated deer rifle.
View Quote

Unfortunately.  Not a single one of my rifles qualify for lower Michigan hunting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 12:50:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The company is in Byron Center and I have been hitting Zillow and Realtor.com. I found a really nice place in Allegan county with 15 acres.
View Quote

What industry do you work in ?  Byron Center is pretty small, not many large employers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By dclark77

What industry do you work in ?  Byron Center is pretty small, not many large employers.

View Quote
PM'd ya

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top