Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2015 10:27:56 AM EDT
Anyone know of a range in the Kalamazoo County area with 3 gun and a range that's 500+ yards?

Effective range of most rifles are well over 200 yards and I'd like more of a challenge. So, I'm looking for something 500 + yards.
Also looking for 3 gun matches to practice more moving, shooting and transition skills.

I would also like to practice high angle shooting and low light shooting but don't expect any ranges would have this.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Anyone know of a range in the Kalamazoo County area with 3 gun and a range that's 500+ yards?

Effective range of most rifles are well over 200 yards and I'd like more of a challenge. So, I'm looking for something 500 + yards.

Also looking for 3 gun matches to practice more moving, shooting and transition skills.

I would also like to practice high angle shooting and low light shooting but don't suspect any ranges would have this.

View Quote

Lived in Kalamazoo for 30 years up until a couple years ago and the only long distance range I know of there is the 200 yard at Kalamazoo Rod and Gun Club (KRGC). They do not do 3-Gun either as far as I know.

I've always held a membership at South Kent Sportsmens Club (SKSC) up in Dorr because they DO have a 500 yard and 3-gun.

There is also a 2-gun event called ACTS out at Centerline Gun Club in Bellevue, Michigan near Battlecreek. It would be your pistol+rifle (AR/AK) style shooting on the move.

www.actsshooters.com if you want to check it out.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Dunno about ranges, but they do 3 gun

http://www.southernmichigangunclub.com/

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:22:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Kalamazoo and the only two outdoor ranges I know of were mentioned above.

Kalamazoo Rod and Gun Club - 200 yard outdoor range

Southern Michigan Gun Club - 100 yard outdoor range

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_56074-130881--,00.html
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
600+ yd ranges in Michigan, off the top of my head....

Cadillac

Bluewater (Port Huron)

Washtenaw

Alpena

Midland

Border States Rifle Club (UP)

Negaunee

Camp Grayling

Fort Custer

MTC
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cadillac
Bluewater (Port Huron)
Washtenaw
Alpena
Midland
Negaunee
Camp Grayling
Fort Custer
MTC
View Quote

Ft Custer allows us to bring our own weapons to shoot?
That would be awesome since I have active military ID
Does anyone have a POC to shoot there?
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Cadillac
Bluewater (Port Huron)
Washtenaw
Alpena
Midland
Negaunee
Camp Grayling
Fort Custer
MTC
View Quote

Far as I can tell, Bluewater 600 yard range is only open for scheduled events.     Practice elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cadillac
Bluewater (Port Huron)
Washtenaw
Alpena
Midland
Negaunee
Camp Grayling
Fort Custer
MTC

If anyone can provide details on Custer and Grayling that would be awesome. I always believed they were military only ranges.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#8]
South Kent Sportsmans club is your best bet.  it's about 30 minutes north of you.  Longest range in west MI (500M) as well as 3 gun and IDPA.

www.sksc.org
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Ft. Custer discontinued civilian shooting on their ranges after 9/11. They used to host the State High Power Rifle Championships for years.

Grayling still has some civilian activity.

Washtenaw Sportsman's Club in Ypsilanti is probably the closest 600 yard range to Kalamazoo. Door has a 500 meter sillouette range that is even closer. Muskegun has a 300 yard range.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ft. Custer discontinued civilian shooting on their ranges after 9/11.
View Quote

Not true.  I've organized several events at Custer for Appleseed instructors.  We've shot on both the 500-yard range and the popup range.

They're not set up to do security checks on everyone, so events open to the general public are a no-go.

With the exception of range 1, caliber is limited to .223 for all ranges.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not true.  I've organized several events at Custer for Appleseed instructors.  We've shot on both the 500-yard range and the popup range.

They're not set up to do security checks on everyone, so events open to the general public are a no-go.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appleseed is like 50 or 100 yards isn't it? Ft. Custer hasn't held a NRA high power rifle tournament open to the public for over 10 years.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 12:12:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Appleseed is like 50 or 100 yards isn't it? Ft. Custer hasn't held a NRA high power rifle tournament open to the public for over 10 years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appleseed started off shooting M1 Garands at distances up to 400 yards.  It was scaled down to 25 meters because there aren't a lot of ranges that have 400 yards.

We did several instructor-only events at Custer in 2011-2012.  They don't have the manpower to do security checks on a large group of civilians.  They were willing to make an exception for a group of Appleseed instructors.  

Funniest part of the last event was when I rolled up to the entrance gate.  I had 5 other instructors in my truck, and was pulling my trailer.  Rent-a-cop security guard asks, "Do you have any firearms in the vehicle?"

I reply, "Um, yeah, lots of them."  I think we had about 15 rifles in the trailer.  

I don't think he was expecting that response, so he calls it in to range control.  While waiting he asks me, "Got anything cool?"

I said, "Well, we have a SCAR 17."

So we walked back to the trailer so he could fondle the SCAR.  I think the people waiting behind me were a little freaked out by the scene unfolding in front of them.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:43:21 AM EDT
[#13]
There's also a range in Paw Paw that has a 200 yard range.  The name of it eludes me but Google could help you out if needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top