Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 5:34:35 PM EDT
Anyone been to the Detroit Institute of Arts recently?  Does it have metal detectors?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I was there last year and carried without issue. No detectors.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Anyone there more recently?
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I went to WSU and forgot the libraries were closed today. I stopped by the DIA anyways just to see. There weren't any detectors on the doors. I did NOT see any policies posted and I didn't find anything posted on their website. I asked a guard what their policies on concealed carry were. He said as long as you have your license and ID, it's ok.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I went today and can now answer my own question:  No, there were no traces of metal detectors, and despite some pretty bad printing nobody said one word to me.  I also saw no signage saying word one about weapons of any kind; I saw some about no touching, no flash photography, no gum, and no food or drinks, but that was it.

I will definitely have to go back too, there is far too much to see for just one day.  I doubt I saw 25% of the displays, and read only a tiny fraction of those, it would take me weeks to properly see everything.  To see so much from 300+ years ago, not to mention all the 2-4 THOUSAND year old stuff was just incredible, the skill it must have taken was amazing.  Definitely far better than what I was anticipating (what I was anticipating was a sterile, cold, black and white room full of modern "art" finger paintings and jars full of piss and a bunch of turtleneck wearing faux intellectual hipsters talking about how brilliant and profound it was), it was actually a proper museum with as much history as art, I was more than pleasantly surprised.  I plan to return as soon as I have time.

My recommendation is to skip the current special exhibit however.  It was way over crowded with hardly any room to walk (despite the museum being pleasantly empty for the most part), and the art was, at least to my eye, very unremarkable and filled with commie propaganda.  The enlightenment and Renascence era stuff around it though was nice.

I was very tempted to reach out and touch the 3,000 year old statuses and sculpture inches from me and not behind glass, but resisted the temptation.
Link Posted: 7/8/2015 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I love all the suits of armor in the long hall, if that's still set up there.
It's been a while, I need to go again soon.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love all the suits of armor in the long hall, if that's still set up there.
It's been a while, I need to go again soon.
View Quote

Yes it is, donated by William Randolph Hearst as I recall, there is also a gun (wheel lock) and sword (and a mace) display.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top