Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2015 1:09:19 PM EDT
First, I appreciate your time. Thanks.

I'm flying in to Detroit soon (not sure when yet exactly) and picking up a rental car for a business trip to Frankenmuth and Saginaw. I might wind up in Windsor, so my pistol may be "iffy". I tried reading your concealed carry laws and am not clear if I have a duty to disclose to a LEO, or disclose if asked. Also, they're no-go in bars, right?

Traffic Laws... How are they on the Interstate? I imagine "go with the flow" is cool, or is it? Also, is there a little bit of a "grace buffer" on speed limits, or does it depend on what side of the bed the Trooper got out?

Can you spot a rental car in Michigan by its plates?

And, lastly is there anything I should know about Frankenmuth and Saginaw?

Thanks. Looking forward to visiting your state.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
First, I appreciate your time. Thanks.

I'm flying in to Detroit soon (not sure when yet exactly) and picking up a rental car for a business trip to Frankenmuth and Saginaw. I might wind up in Windsor, so my pistol may be "iffy".  No "Iffy" about it.  Don't take a firearm into Canada.  Leave it stateside.

I tried reading your concealed carry laws and am not clear if I have a duty to disclose to a LEO, or disclose if asked. Also, they're no-go in bars, right?  Must disclose if pulled over and no joy in bars or anyplace that make more than 50% of it's revenue from the sale of alcohol by the glass

Traffic Laws... How are they on the Interstate? I imagine "go with the flow" is cool, or is it? Also, is there a little bit of a "grace buffer" on speed limits, or does it depend on what side of the bed the Trooper got out?  We have cops on the highway?  J/K.  go with the flow and you will blend in.  Most cops will give you 5 MPH before they pull you over.

Can you spot a rental car in Michigan by its plates?   Nope.  Just standard plates.

And, lastly is there anything I should know about Frankenmuth and Saginaw?  Zenders for a chicken dinner.  Bronners for the biggest Christmas store you will ever see.

Thanks. Looking forward to visiting your state.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't word the "iffy" part very well. What I meant was, if Canada is involved, the gun stays here. We've heard horror stories about the Canucks and us Zonies. They sound like they think we have gun fights at noon... Thanks for that warning though.

So what's with Saginaw and the stories I've heard about high unemployment and crime? Aare the stories overrated, or is it a bit sketchy? And Frankenmuth is just across the river? Is this just another just don't go where you don't belong and you're fine?

We have bad guys here too, BTW.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't word the "iffy" part very well. What I meant was, if Canada is involved, the gun stays here. We've heard horror stories about the Canucks and us Zonies. They sound like they think we have gun fights at noon... Thanks for that warning though.

So what's with Saginaw and the stories I've heard about high unemployment and crime? Aare the stories overrated, or is it a bit sketchy? And Frankenmuth is just across the river? Is this just another just don't go where you don't belong and you're fine?

We have bad guys here too, BTW.

Thanks for the replies.
View Quote

Saginaw depends on what part of town, but keep your head on a swivel.  You'll know it when you see it.

IDK where it ranks currently, but a couple years ago, it was the #1 most dangerous city in the U.S.

And yea, don't even think about taking a pistol into Canada.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.

Come and visit, there's more here than a big hole in the ground. (Well, it is a BIG hole...  )
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 4:14:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Saginaw can be a rough area, it will be obvious if you are in one of those areas though.   Frankenmuth is very nice, Zenders, Bavarian Inn and the Brewery are all good.   As far as going to Canada, I always have a harder time coming back than I do going over there.   Make sure you have your passport.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
As others have said, Canada is a no-go for firearms.

MCL 28.425f contains the immediate disclosure language:
(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.
View Quote

MCL 28.425k states that carrying a concealed pistol implies your consent to chemical analysis for alcohol levels. It also discusses how to transport a pistol in your vehicle if you've had alcholic drinks.

MCL 28.425o provides the list of places in which you may not carry a concealed pistol.

Here's an MI CPL Quick Reference Card.

Traffic laws are fine. Interstates are 70MPH and the cops will leave you alone for about 5MPH over.

Rentals use the same plates as everyone else.

Frankenmuth is a Christmas town. Check out Bronner's and Frankenmuth Brewery.

Saginaw has its bad areas, but you'll know when you get into one. Just pay attention to your surroundings.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the info everyone.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Stop by the Lager Mill In Frankenmuth for some very good craft beers.They get a lot of limited stuff in.But have a pretty decent selection all around.

Frankenmuth brewery has some decent beers and foods.But the food at Black Forest in alil better(imo).Bu really can't go wrong with either.

Black Forest used to brew their own beers,but a couple years ago the owner sold of the equipment.Kinda suck as they brewed better brews than Frankenmuth.

Black Forest is located behind Bronners.

I personally prefer Bavarian Inn over Zenders,but both are decent.

Oh,stop by Kerns for some awesome brats and sausages!

If you like cigars,Frankenmuth Cigar Co rolls their own.Most are flavored and wet.

Thats located at 135 S Franklin.

Saginaw is pretty ghetto in the downtown areas.Out by the mall is much nicer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I live in Frankenmuth and go to Saginaw a lot. Saginaw is not that bad unless your in a bad area after dark, West side of Saginaw is where all the malls and restaurants have relocated. My new favorite place to eat in Muth is Slo-Bones, great BBQ and smoked wings that are awesome. Lots of hotels in Muth also.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I live in Frankenmuth and go to Saginaw a lot. Saginaw is not that bad unless your in a bad area after dark, West side of Saginaw is where all the malls and restaurants have relocated. My new favorite place to eat in Muth is Slo-Bones, great BBQ and smoked wings that are awesome. Lots of hotels in Muth also.
View Quote
Those wings are the best I've had so far!

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

MCL 28.425k states that carrying a concealed pistol implies your consent to chemical analysis for alcohol levels. It also discusses how to transport a pistol in your vehicle if you've had alcholic drinks.

MCL 28.425o provides the list of places in which you may not carry a concealed pistol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(3) An individual licensed under this act to carry a concealed pistol and who is carrying a concealed pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology and who is stopped by a peace officer shall immediately disclose to the peace officer that he or she is carrying a pistol or a portable device that uses electro-muscular disruption technology concealed upon his or her person or in his or her vehicle.

Since that all applies to one "licensed under this act..." It could be interpreted that none of that applies to a non-resident with a carry permit from their own state.

Link Posted: 5/23/2015 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if you arrived or not yet or if the trip is still on.

If I may offer some friendly advice. Your rental may or may not have MI plates on it. There will be stickers on the front windshield and the side. If you plan on going to Windsor (and back), I wouldn't fuck with the stickers and I would make sure who ever rented the vehicle makes sure the rental agreement is in the vehicle and present.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I may offer some friendly advice. Your rental may or may not have MI plates on it. There will be stickers on the front windshield and the side. If you plan on going to Windsor (and back), I wouldn't fuck with the stickers and I would make sure who ever rented the vehicle makes sure the rental agreement is in the vehicle and present.

View Quote

And check if you can leave the state with the rental vehicle .
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

And check if you can leave the state with the rental vehicle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And check if you can leave the state with the rental vehicle.

And if you can take the rental out of the country. The vehicle must be insured in Canada, I'm sure not all rental companies carry that coverage on all of their vehicles.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks. I did indeed verify both insurance and permission to leave the USA. it looks less and less like I'm headed to Windsor. I also found out I still can't legally bring a Cuban cigar back.

Certain amounts of liquor duty free is okay, but is it any cheaper on the "other side"? If it isn't, what's the point other than poutine? And do I really want to try that?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks. I did indeed verify both insurance and permission to leave the USA. it looks less and less like I'm headed to Windsor. I also found out I still can't legally bring a Cuban cigar back.

Certain amounts of liquor duty free is okay, but is it any cheaper on the "other side"? If it isn't, what's the point other than poutine? And do I really want to try that?
View Quote

Any Cuban tobacco product you find in the greater Windsor area will more than likely be fake. And despite what our dear leader as been trying to do, there is so much false info being put out and people thinking they know the OFAC laws that get controlled at the border. Cuban cigars ARE allowed in the US. You just have to fall under 1 - 6 'legal' categories to travel to Cuba and the goods have to be bought in Cuba.

Per us duty law, you get 1 bottle free of duty per person, or a liter. Anything above that, coming back into the US, you may be required to pay $2.86 per litre.

Seriously, there isn't shit to do in Windsor. The shopping sucks, most of the restaurants are bad and since it's Canada, everything is crazy ass expensive. Even with the current exchange rate, it isn't worth.

ETA: price of booze in Canada is so crazy expensive..if you want to get something, get it on the Canadian side duty free. Not the US side.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks. It's good to know what's really going on. I went to the Customs site, and yeah, I can bring them in from Cuba but not elsewhere. The irony is there are much better cigars from other places. It's more of the "Bucket List" thing- the allure of the taboo. No big deal.

Thanks everyone for the help everyone and your patience with me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top