Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2015 11:56:22 AM EDT
I'm looking for a rifle/pistol shooting completion in michigan. I thought it was called ARMS or something?  Googled it and looked at all the HTF threads couldn't find anything.   Any help?

I've been wanting to do some very low key competition shooting, and would really like to start this summer.  

Thanks, John
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome.  Much appreciated.  
From what I remember reading in the past,  this seems like a good place to get started in this kind of shooting?   I don't have any experience shooting competitions or running courses.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll have a lot of fun at that match. It's laid back and everyone is there to have a good time. More about competing against yourself than others, though there are standings.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:42:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Great group of guys, i make the 2+ hour drive from the Detroit area every chance I get.

ETA - it just so happens the next match is May 9th, feel free to PM me is you need details or encouragement to attend.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I might have to check this out.

I've been shooting a good bit of USPSA and IDPA but would like to shoot some rifle in matches.  Currently don't have a decent shotgun for 3gun yet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#6]
After looking this over more I think I'm going to try and get out to a match in the next couple of months.

Can anyone tell me the match fee cost and the average round counts for pistol/rifle?

Also one thing I can't tell for sure by the rules, are there any mag capacity limits for pistol?  It appears you can use 140mm mags correct?  I might buy a couple of extensions for my XD if thats the case.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Match fee is $25 or $30 for nonmembers, not sure because I've been a member for years. $20 for membrrs,  yearly membership is $30 I believe. Membership gives you voting rights. The club is non-profit, all funds get cycled back into the club except $10 of match fee goes to the range.

Round count is usually around 150 rifle, 75 pistol. Bring 250 rifle 150 pistol and you should go home with plenty extra unless you have a tough day.

No explicit pistol mag capacity limit. I strongly suggest you hold off on buying stuff until you shoot a match or 2. Accurate shooting and fast movement is what gets guys to the top of the scores, mag capacity not so much.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Great thanks.  I probably wouldn't get those right away.

As of right now I plan on going to the July match.  Next month just isn't good for me.

The things I do have to get is a sling and something to hold my AR mags.  Any budget suggestions?

I have a flat top AR with no place on the front currently to attach a sling (unless I put it on the top gas block rail).
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As of right now I plan on going to the July match.  Next month just isn't good for me.

The things I do have to get is a sling and something to hold my AR mags.  Any budget suggestions?

I have a flat top AR with no place on the front currently to attach a sling (unless I put it on the top gas block rail).
View Quote

Best "budget" suggestion for AR mags would be cargo pockets. Run your first match using those, and get a look at what everyone else uses. You also might sign up on the website forums and request some loaner gear, we're a pretty helpful bunch.

The sling you're going to want to square away ASAP. ACTS allows and sometimes requires hot transitions, so you may need to safe your rifle and let it hang while you shoot pistol (we don't typically "ground" guns in ACTS). That sling needs to be a real sling, not some homemade crap. Blue Force Gear and Viking Tactics slings are well-represented. Single pt slings work too, but they let the muzzle swing more than I prefer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Best "budget" suggestion for AR mags would be cargo pockets. Run your first match using those, and get a look at what everyone else uses. You also might sign up on the website forums and request some loaner gear, we're a pretty helpful bunch.

The sling you're going to want to square away ASAP. ACTS allows and sometimes requires hot transitions, so you may need to safe your rifle and let it hang while you shoot pistol (we don't typically "ground" guns in ACTS). That sling needs to be a real sling, not some homemade crap. Blue Force Gear and Viking Tactics slings are well-represented. Single pt slings work too, but they let the muzzle swing more than I prefer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The transitioning between rifle/pistol is what drew me to ACTS.  The thing I hate about 3 gun is the fact that you shoot each stage with the one gun and only have that gun. Not realistic or good practice. At least thats how I think it goes, I've never shot in either.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The transitioning between rifle/pistol is what drew me to ACTS.  The thing I hate about 3 gun is the fact that you shoot each stage with the one gun and only have that gun. Not realistic or good practice. At least thats how I think it goes, I've never shot in either.
View Quote

You are correct. I explained how we do hot transitions to a 3gun guy at the Rockcastle ARFCOM match a few years ago and his head nearly exploded right there. Whether you're on the clock at a match or in your bedroom holstering your carry gun, you don't throw safe gun handling practices out the window, EVER.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top