Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2015 7:18:28 PM EDT

The state House has approved a variety of bills Wednesday that will change gun regulation in Michigan.

Now the approval process for concealed weapons licenses would move from the county to state level. It also creates a definition for brandishing a firearm.

Retired police officers and corrections officers will be allowed to carry concealed weapons in "weapon-free" zones.

But, these bills don't include a provision that allows some people with personal protection orders against them get a permit. Governor Snyder vetoed that bill in January.

The House will vote on more gun bills Thursday.

Any more info on this?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:15:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Now we just wait on Snyder?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now we just wait on Snyder?
View Quote

Yes. He has 2 weeks or something (I can't keep it straight between different states and fed) to sign. I can't remember if it's a pocket veto after that, or if it becomes law if he doesn't take action. I haven't had my coffee yet and I'm rusty.

What about the air gun reclassification package of bills? I'll go look up some info on where those stand...

ETA1: OP's title is misleading. Most of us around here think of gun control in a negative sense. I think these bills are a step in the right direction.

ETA2: The air gun reclassification package still has a ways to go. The House Bills 4151 - 4156 (all 6 bills are part of it) were amended yesterday to add a stipulation that none of them are enacted unless everyone of them is enacted. This makes sense because otherwise there would be differing legal definitions of air guns in various portions of the MCL. However, Senate Bill 85 is also part of the package now, but it was introduced on 10 Feb. and hasn't made it to a Senate committee yet. SB 85 introduces air gun preemption by the state, that's pretty good.

So, the air gun reclassification package has some time yet to go. Neither set of bills has passed the branch that introduced it. It's looking like they will, just takes time.

ETA3: Snyder has 14 days to sign or veto the bill, or it will become law either way. That's from the time he receives it, and the Senate hasn't yet sent the bill to him, so that clock isn't ticking yet. It may be sent to him today, but if not, it'll be sometime next week. So, he likely has until about 17 March (rough estimate) to decide.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#3]

When it comes to Snyder, its always a money thing.

Moving CPL from county to state level might be a hard sell.  County makes a lot of money ( $100.00 + from each ) CPL registration. No doubt that this is the right thing to do, but greed and politics can fuck good intentions.

As for Snyder he doesn't give one rats ass for the 2A, or the hunters and fisherman in the state.  I suspect Snyder will gladly sign it for the revenue it brings in so he can add to the

10.8 billion taxpayer funded corporate welfare as he raises our taxes, fees, license's, registrations, and any other opportunity to bleed us dry to fund his corporate utopia.

Fucking corporate FSA RHINOS equals Fucking Bleeding heart FSA Liberals.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#4]
The county only gets a small part of the fee.. the current law states

(9), a unit of local government, an agency of a unit of local government, or an agency or department of this
state shall not charge an additional fee, assessment, or other amount in connection with a license under this
section. The fee shall be payable to the county. The county treasurer shall deposit $41.00 of each fee collected
under this section in the general fund of the county and credit $26.00 of that deposit to the credit of the county
clerk  and  $15.00  of  that  deposit  to  the  credit  of  the  county  sheriff  and  forward  the  balance  to  the  state
treasurer.  The  state  treasurer  shall  deposit  the  balance  of  the  fee  in  the  general  fund  to  the  credit  of  the
department  of  state  police.  The  department  of  state  police  shall  use  the  money  received  under  this  act  to
process  the  fingerprints  and  to  reimburse  the  federal  bureau  of  investigation  for  the  costs  associated  with
processing fingerprints submitted under this act. The balance of the money received under this act shall be
credited to the department of state police.
View Quote

And in the new bill the county will get even less.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#5]
According to what I understand the Air gun reclassification package has passed the house but has yet to go to the senate.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

(9), a unit of local government, an agency of a unit of local government, or an agency or department of this
state shall not charge an additional fee, assessment, or other amount in connection with a license under this
section. The fee shall be payable to the county. The county treasurer shall deposit $41.00 of each fee collected
under this section in the general fund of the county and credit $26.00 of that deposit to the credit of the county
clerk  and  $15.00  of  that  deposit  to  the  credit  of  the  county  sheriff  and  forward  the  balance  to  the  state
treasurer.  The  state  treasurer  shall  deposit  the  balance  of  the  fee  in  the  general  fund  to  the  credit  of  the
department  of  state  police.  The  department  of  state  police  shall  use  the  money  received  under  this  act  to
process  the  fingerprints  and  to  reimburse  the  federal  bureau  of  investigation  for  the  costs  associated  with
processing fingerprints submitted under this act. The balance of the money received under this act shall be
credited to the department of state police.

Don't give a shit. Neither the county of the state should be in the business of making money off of my Second Amendment rights. It was never money they should have become addicted to in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 4:26:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree, especially with what I think are severe restrictions on carry outside the home even open carry without a 'concealed' pistol license. You had better not make the slightest infraction else you lose the privilege forever..

Just like shall-issue spreading like a virus maybe constitutional carry will. Hopefully Kansas gets theirs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmm, I had Review Board boondoggle scheduled for the 20th for my CPL Renewal. Got a letter in the mail the other day saying it was canceled, and that a motion was carried out to omit "Review Boards" for the renewal process.....?

Bunch of crap if you ask me. I was looking forward to taking half a day vacation from work so that I can waste some time at the "Review Board".
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah its all that Bloomberg money (2.2 Million) he took when he was in a tie with Mark Shauer in the Governors Race.

I'd be surprised if he does not veto the legislation passed by the House and Senate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top