Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2015 12:54:17 AM EDT

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources confirmed today video footage of a cougar in Mackinac County.

The DNR, which posted the video to its Facebook page Thursday, said it's the 28th time that cougar evidence has been verified in the Upper Peninsula since 2008.

Link Posted: 2/20/2015 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome footage. Wont be long before they are sighted farther south. They got enough dead deer around to eat.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome footage. Wont be long before they are sighted farther south. They got enough dead deer around to eat.
View Quote

They've been in the EUP for at least 20 years, some say they never went extinct from MI.  I saw one 15 years ago cross I-75 in broad daylight.

They are also in several places throughout the LP.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#3]
A couple years ago,there was reports of one a few miles from my place.
Supposedly a couple people saw it chasing a deer.

Right along the border of Isabella and Midland counties.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw one over in the Caledonia area about 13-14 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/20/2015 11:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
There's 4 legged Cougar sign in the Manistee National Forest I hunt in. It gives you an eerie feeling that you may be the one being hunted

Then the lady by White Cloud claims to feed a BigFoot family BlueBerry Bagels each morning...............
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:15:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Crap. Between the wolves and these guys, deer hunting is over in the UP. Too bad for my kids I guess....
Link Posted: 2/21/2015 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Call me crazy, but I found cat tracks here 40 minutes north-east of GR. Not house cat or bobcat tracks. Not coyote or big dog tracks. Cat tracks, as big as the palm of my hand. That was 5 years ago. Haven't seen any since. I find bear tracks every few years down here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Have had horses attacked and confirmation of Mountain lion with cubs, in and around Watervliet/Covert/Hartford years ago.

Had tracks in our field, and on the old rail bed that is now a county walking trail, Trail cam pics, and sightings by folks familiar with what is and isn't a Cougar.

DNR played stupid for a couple years, and then admitted breeding numbers might exist, about the time trail cam pics of a female with Cubs appeared.

The DNR is dragging their feet for a reason. It's a whole new bag of worms and politics, when a federally protected species shows up and is recognized.
For once,  the DNR being inept is not a bad thing.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Call me crazy, but I found cat tracks here 40 minutes north-east of GR. Not house cat or bobcat tracks. Not coyote or big dog tracks. Cat tracks, as big as the palm of my hand. That was 5 years ago. Haven't seen any since. I find bear tracks every few years down here.
View Quote

I live about 40 minutes due North of GR, and yes big tracks with no claw marked are common. No Squatch tracks though
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Crap. Between the wolves and these guys, deer hunting is over in the UP. Too bad for my kids I guess....
View Quote

Way to be an alarmist. Wolves, cougars, and deer coexisted just fine long before we ever got here. Michigan has crap loads of deer; they're not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Have had horses attacked and confirmation of Mountain lion with cubs, in and around Watervliet/Covert/Hartford years ago.

Had tracks in our field, and on the old rail bed that is now a county walking trail, Trail cam pics, and sightings by folks familiar with what is and isn't a Cougar.

DNR played stupid for a couple years, and then admitted breeding numbers might exist, about the time trail cam pics of a female with Cubs appeared.

The DNR is dragging their feet for a reason. It's a whole new bag of worms and politics, when a federally protected species shows up and is recognized.
For once,  the DNR being inept is not a bad thing.

View Quote

The DNR in fact as drug their feet for more than 20 years on the subject of big cats in MI.  They denied their existence until a rancher brought a dead one in he had hit with his car back in the late 1980's. They are here and have probably never left.  The Michigan DNR has been incompetent as long as I have been alive.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 12:29:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Department of No Results
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#13]
That's a big kitty.  Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
My BIL had something following him out of the woods one night when we were deer hunting in Cheboygan about 10 years ago. Scared the crap outta him. We never found any prints.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top