Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2015 1:26:44 PM EDT
Discussion came up about Carry in a bank after a bank robbing yesterday at my bank.
For some reason I went to another branch or I would have been right in the middle of the whole deal

Looking at the laws it looks like it would be OK.

I was under the impression/dreamed up for some reason that a bank, post office and federal court building were off limits.

Then I looked at my license and the MSP website and no mention of these as off limits

Legal or no?

Thanks

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(kvvyxv55j2o12m45q2jnwryb))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-28-425o

http://michigan.gov/msp/1,1607,7-123-1591_3503_4654-10947--,00.html
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Legal for CPL holder to carry in bank, both concealed or openly - YES

Legal for NON-CPL holder to carry in bank, openly - NO
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 3:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Legal for CPL holder to carry in bank, both concealed or openly - YES

Legal for NON-CPL holder to carry in bank, openly - NO
View Quote

This is correct.

MCL 750.234d makes it illegal to possess a firearm on the premises of a bank, among other locations; however, CPL holders are exempt.

MCL 28.425o makes it illegal for a CPL holder to carry a concealed pistol in certain locations, but a bank is not one of them.

A CPL holder may carry a pistol in a bank, whether open or concealed. A person that does not hold a CPL may not carry a pistol in a bank.

As for post offices federal courts, those are federal property and you may not carry inside. Federal property falls under different law. A federal reserve bank would be the one bank you may not carry into, but I don't foresee many of us ever visiting a federal reserve.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top