Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 7:55:16 PM EDT
Does cobo have any commie no pistol signs? Also I am sure the buildings capacity is over 2500, however there is not really seating at the auto show. The law states seating capacity over 2500. Anyone have insight? Not sure about going without a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
A quick google search shows a capacity of 12k. Does not list a "seating capacity."
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are asked to leave, leave? Concealed means concealed? NOT LEGAL ADVICE, YMMV
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like lots of confusion on different forms out there. Not sure what I will do.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Legally you should be good, you are correct regarding seating capacity, the other interpretation would have virtual all public places be no carry zones.  However what are Cobo's policies?  I don't know, as a rule I do not go down there as my Abrams is in the shop.  It comes down to who owns it, if it is publicly owned, and I believe it is, than any anti carry policies  they may have would be null and void do to preemption (MCL 123.1102), however if they are private, then while there rules would have no legal effect on you if they ask you to leave you must to avoid a trespass charge.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:14:44 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW they were not wanding people Saturday.  it was always my understanding the law applied just to the ice ring and not Cobo but I am not a lawyer so don't listen to me.

There are a crap load of undercover cops and feds there too. Just wanted to point that out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:57:04 AM EDT
[#6]
You guys act like Cobo is in the ghetto. It is not. It's part of the riverfront which has actually made quite a comeback. There are a lot of police officers in and around the auto show.

As for carrying, it is a publicly owned facility so it must follow state laws. Any additional restrictions are null and void, but you may still incur legal costs to prove so. The auto show does not have seating as what I'd consider part of the 2,500 seats.

I have never seen them using metal detectors down there. I would just go and enjoy the show and keep your pistol concealed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The laws is obviously intended to prevent carrying concealed in venues that can "hold" over 2500 people, the number of actual seats is irrelevant.  If you leave your firearm in your vehicle you can ask at the gate, if approval is given retrieve it. Otherwise you're risking a misdemeanor and the possible temporary loss of your CCW.

Their will be plenty of law enforcement officers assigned to this venue. It's not normally attended by rabble and hell raisers. I think you'll survive.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The laws is obviously intended to prevent carrying concealed in venues that can "hold" over 2500 people, the number of actual seats is irrelevant.  If you leave your firearm in your vehicle you can ask at the gate, if approval is given retrieve it. Otherwise you're risking a misdemeanor and the possible temporary loss of your CCW.
Their will be plenty of law enforcement officers assigned to this venue. It's not normally attended by rabble and hell raisers. I think you'll survive.
View Quote

I'm no lawyer, but I'm not so sure that a convention hall like Cobo would be considered "An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals" and thus a Pistol Free Zone for concealed carriers.  It may not be cut-and-dry, but whether YOU want to be the test case is your decision. The first conviction of carrying in a pistol free zone is only a Civil Infraction punishable by a 6 month CPL suspension and a maximum $500 fine if found responsible, however any illegally carried firearms are subject to seizure.  Second and subsequent offenses are a considered "crimes" (2nd offense a misdemeanor and 3rd and subsequent convictions are 4-year felonies in Michigan).

Here's a link to the Pistol Free Zones part of the MI Concealed Carry Law:  MCL 28.425(o)

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm no lawyer, but I'm not so sure that a convention hall like Cobo would be considered "An entertainment facility with a seating capacity of 2,500 or more individuals" and thus a Pistol Free Zone for concealed carriers.  It may not be cut-and-dry, but whether YOU want to be the test case is your decision. The first conviction of carrying in a pistol free zone is only a Civil Infraction punishable by a 6 month CPL suspension and a maximum $500 fine if found responsible, however any illegally carried firearms are subject to seizure.  Second and subsequent offenses are a considered "crimes" (2nd offense a misdemeanor and 3rd and subsequent convictions are 4-year felonies in Michigan).

Here's a link to the Pistol Free Zones part of the MI Concealed Carry Law:  MCL 28.425(o)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seating capacity is a fire marshal term, and the e prosecutor i spoke with wasnt of the opinion that actual seats had to be there, just that it would be possible (there is your capacity). Auto show isnt commecial, its entertainment. Make your own choice,  not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Just make sure that they don't count 500 cars with a seating capacity of five people per automobile.  

Kidding of course.  

I haven't been to the auto show since I was 19,  so I've never tried bringing a pistol in,  but despite the "It's safe there" remarks,  which by the way,  that part of Detroit is probably as safe as it gets,  I still like to carry everywhere.  You never know when something shady is going to happen.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 10:21:26 AM EDT
[#11]
My friend's ex was found beaten and dead in the stairwell of the parking garage there.Around 2000
Not during the Auto Show though, she was not known to visit areas of culture.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#12]
While you are allowed to carry at the cobo hall, you are not allowed to carry during the event of the auto show.

They have large signs covering all the entrances and there is writing on your ticket that also explicitly states so.

Since it's a publicly funded facility and not a sporting arena or venue, they are not really allowed to do so, but no one has had the balls yet to fight them on it.  Right now if they catch you carrying you can be in a world of problems considering that the event is a major revenue generator for the police and city.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You guys act like Cobo is in the ghetto. It is not. It's part of the riverfront which has actually made quite a comeback. There are a lot of police officers in and around the auto show.

As for carrying, it is a publicly owned facility so it must follow state laws. Any additional restrictions are null and void, but you may still incur legal costs to prove so. The auto show does not have seating as what I'd consider part of the 2,500 seats.

I have never seen them using metal detectors down there. I would just go and enjoy the show and keep your pistol concealed.
View Quote

Explain the crime map then for the last two weeks?  Notice cobo hall has so many listed under its address that it has two +4's representing 8 crimes in the last two weeks?

I would not call this safe in even the most liberal of terms.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#14]
At the end of the day I went, no gun, and did not get killed or kidnapped. I do not have a cpl to carry a gun in bad neighborhoods. I carry a gun just about any time I legally can. I went with my brother and sister in law who are both attorneys. Neither practice any sort of criminal law and neither is familiar with MI gun/cpl laws. They did not seem to think there was any value to cobo being a publicly owned building. They were under the belief that the "no weapons" on the back of the ticket was enough for them to deny entry. Not sure about being in violation of the law or not. With that being said I did not enter through a metal detector, or get searched. I wish there was more clarification on the small things such as seating capacity vs capacity. Anyone out there an attorney that specializes in this type of thing? Just for future reference.

Also for comedy purposes I emailed the head of security prior to the event. He stated I could not carry because of capacity and the fact that Cobo has a liquor lic and serves alcohol. haha The problem with these laws is that there is to much to be left up to the individual on interpretation.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
At the end of the day I went, no gun, and did not get killed or kidnapped. I do not have a cpl to carry a gun in bad neighborhoods. I carry a gun just about any time I legally can. I went with my brother and sister in law who are both attorneys. Neither practice any sort of criminal law and neither is familiar with MI gun/cpl laws. They did not seem to think there was any value to cobo being a publicly owned building. They were under the belief that the "no weapons" on the back of the ticket was enough for them to deny entry. Not sure about being in violation of the law or not. With that being said I did not enter through a metal detector, or get searched. I wish there was more clarification on the small things such as seating capacity vs capacity. Anyone out there an attorney that specializes in this type of thing? Just for future reference.

Also for comedy purposes I emailed the head of security prior to the event. He stated I could not carry because of capacity and the fact that Cobo has a liquor lic and serves alcohol. haha The problem with these laws is that there is to much to be left up to the individual on interpretation.
View Quote

I forgot about that.

However that only applies if it makes over 50% of revenue to alcohol, course after seeing the price of a beer it would not surprise me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I forgot about that.

However that only applies if it makes over 50% of revenue to alcohol, course after seeing the price of a beer it would not surprise me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I forgot about that.

It's not often you see a security professional so poorly informed on an important aspect of the MI CPL law (the restriction on concealed carry in establishments licensed under MCL 436.1101 to 436.2303, where the primary source of income of the business is the sale of alcoholic liquor by the glass and consumed on the premises).  Considering he apparently has no idea of the basics of that provision and how it pertains to the place he works, it makes me wonder whether he is completely wrong on the seating capacity part as well, and the real reason they don't want you to carry is "because we said so".
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 1:23:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Anyone out there an attorney that specializes in this type of thing? Just for future reference.
View Quote

If my memory serves me right, ARFCommer MichMan1 is a lawyer. I believe he had a hand in legalizing SBRs/SBSs in MI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top