BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 9:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thought I'd bump this and ask if anyone has any info on this topic.
View Quote

Unfortunately, after boards I started my new job and let this go by the way side.  I will have to see where I put the Dr.'s, from Western University, number and give him a call.  We need to get this changed and soon.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a thread in GD right now and it has a map showing suppressor ownership/suppressors for hunting.  I didn't realize MI is basically the only state that allows suppressors, but not for hunting.  Seems like this would make for an easy change through the NRC.  

One of the bigger Michigan "sportsman's" sites had a thread/poll on suppressors for hunting.  About 45% or so were against it in the poll there.  The comments, hardly coherent for the most part, were typical Fudd comedy gold.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]
According to the ASA's Facebook page, they're going to be at the December 10th NRC meeting to push the issue!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:14:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would like to know the same thing.  My deer gun the past few seasons has been an SBR with a can.  Now that I'm moving back,  that rifle is going to be quite the unwelcome bastard when it comes to what it was built for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Side note,whats the law with hunting with a sbr/sbs?

I would like to know the same thing.  My deer gun the past few seasons has been an SBR with a can.  Now that I'm moving back,  that rifle is going to be quite the unwelcome bastard when it comes to what it was built for.

As per the instructor cadre for the group of jr fish cops they just graduated it's good to go,
Length isn't and issue, neither is configuration as long as capacity and ammuntition are in tolerance with the game being pursued

When we talked about suppressors it came up that there are several individuals with tremendous amounts of influence in the upper echelons of the dnr who are violently opposed to the use of suppressors for hunting

they have apparently repeatedly told the commissioners why (in their minds anyway) it would be a conservation nightmare, and that it would make everyone a poacher and no one would buy liscences or hunt during seasons anymore.

From what I was told it basically sounds like a couple bitter fudds who hate everything that isn't a hunting gun from 1925
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
The old school NCR members have been openly against suppressor for hunting based in the idea that it will promote poaching.

They were and are the same ones that were against allowing crossbows for deer hunting. The handicap hunters got crossbow hunting privileges first.
Took a long time for the general hunting population to be able to use a crossbow. Yet the crossbow is a excellent poaching weapon on deer.

This will be a HARD uphill battle that I think the ASA might not understand the politics of the old guard NCR members. They should go in baby steps. Get suppressor use for varmint hunting / pest control first. Then push the bigger picture when nothing bad comes about.

As an owner of a few cans I am patiently awaiting the use suppressors for hunting in Michigan.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The old school NCR members have been openly against suppressor for hunting based in the idea that it will promote poaching.

They were and are the same ones that were against allowing crossbows for deer hunting. The handicap hunters got crossbow hunting privileges first.
Took a long time for the general hunting population to be able to use a crossbow. Yet the crossbow is a excellent poaching weapon on deer.

This will be a HARD uphill battle that I think the ASA might not understand the politics of the old guard NCR members. They should go in baby steps. Get suppressor use for varmint hunting / pest control first. Then push the bigger picture when nothing bad comes about.

As an owner of a few cans I am patiently awaiting the use suppressors for hunting in Michigan.
View Quote

I was coming in to type the same thing we need to get the crotchety old men out to shoot some cans. They will see hollywood has been lying for years on how quite they really are .
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Just make sure nobody brings a 300 Blackout with sub's. Them things are might quite.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:54:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I was coming in to type the same thing we need to get the crotchety old men out to shoot some cans. They will see hollywood has been lying for years on how quite they really are .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of the blue I called the ASA guy Knox a few months back about this. He was inthe airport returning from MI after taking some DNR/NRC/political types to the range to shoot some cans. I'm sure the crotchety old men were invited.

I wish you guys who post "inside information" about the opposition to this would name some names.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Most of the career poachers/trespassers/trail cam thieves can barely afford beer and cigarettes let alone a suppressor.  Michigan must be one of the worst states for lawless Fudds.  

Well, let's hope we make some headway.  I had a quick shot on a doe today and didn't have time to get ear pro in.  It changed the tone of my tinnitus.  

ETA:   I emailed Knox Williams at ASA, his reply mentioned the December 10 2015 meeting, and he stated, "We are confident that suppressor hunting will be legalized in Michigan in the very near future..."  

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/December_506065_7.pdf
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Bump because I'm working Thanksgiving and bored.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Things look favorable as from the information posted on SigForum today.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=380105858&m=7810099653&r=6330007393#6330007393
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Great news!   Is there anything we should be doing to help this along?
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great news!   Is there anything we should be doing to help this along?
View Quote

Contact the NRC in support of legalizing suppressors for hunting. All the info is on the first page. Hopefully we can get this passed!
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Great news, I hope this works out for us, although I'm not sure my budget can handle the strain.  

I guess the best thing to do is to pass this info along to everyone we know that wants to hunt with a suppressor, and get them to contact the NRC.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:42:19 PM EDT
[#16]
In the new magazine suppressor they have an article about ASA . It has a map showing hunting with a supressor legal states . We are shown as LEGAL did I miss something ???

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In the new magazine suppressor they have an article about ASA . It has a map showing hunting with a supressor legal states . We are shown as LEGAL did I miss something ???

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/ebgb68/20160109_144438_zps9vhw1zwv.jpg
View Quote
I saw that too, I think they messed up.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Easy E it looks like someone was caught tripping'.  

Hopefully it works out for us soon.  Suppressors for hunting and getting rid of the pistol reg. thing would be big wins for us here.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
http://americansuppressorassociation.com/michigan-suppressor-hunting-reform-needs-your-help/

MICHIGAN: SUPPRESSOR HUNTING REFORM NEEDS YOUR HELP
Written by ASA on January 12, 2016 - Comments

Last month, the Michigan Natural Resources Commission (NRC) heard testimony on the merits of suppressor hunting at a public hearing in Lansing, MI. During the meeting, a member of the Department of Natural Resources Law Enforcement Division delivered a presentation to the NRC expressing that their department does not object to allowing hunters to use suppressors. At that meeting, representatives from the American Suppressor Association, the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation, the National Rifle Association, and Gemtech all provided testimony in support of making Michigan the 38th state to legalize suppressor hunting.

On January 14th, the NRC will consider Wildlife Conservation Order Amendment No. 1 of 2016, a resolution to eliminate the prohibition on the use of legally possessed suppressors while hunting. If approved, the measure will be up for a final vote at the February 11th NRC meeting. However, earlier today, the ASA learned of two arbitrary and unenforceable restrictions included in the proposed rule. These restrictions would:

Only allow “the use of suppressors capable of a decibel reduction of no more than 30 decibels as provided by the manufacturers specifications.”
   Prohibit “the use of subsonic ammunition (velocity less than 1,126 feet per second) in combination with suppressors.”

While the ASA supports the legalization of suppressor hunting in Michigan, we unequivocally oppose the proposed restrictions placed on decibel reduction, and the prohibition of the use of subsonic ammunition for hunting. These proposed restrictions, which have not been enacted in any of the 37 states where suppressor hunting is currently legal, would do nothing to enhance public safety. Instead, they would confuse hunters and enforcement agents alike, who would oftentimes have little to no way of knowing whether or not the suppressor in question provided too much hearing protection, or if the ammunition being used was not quite fast enough.

Many suppressor manufacturers, including SilencerCo, do not list decibel reduction levels as a standalone number in their specifications. Instead, they publish average overall dB levels for their suppressors by caliber type. For instance, according to the SilencerCo website, the Harvester 30 will decrease the sound level of a .308 Win rifle to an average of 136.4 dB. When this is the case, how would enforcement agents determine if the suppressor is capable of reducing the signature by more than 30 dB?

In addition, the actual signature reduction of a suppressor is determined by a host of factors, including, but not limited to the operating system of the firearm, barrel length, muzzle devices being used when unsuppressed, caliber, and ammunition. With so many variables, it would be impossible for enforcement agents to know if the suppressor reduced the signature of the gun it is attached to without testing the firearm/suppressor/ammunition combination on the spot.

In order to avoid scenarios where law enforcement agents would have to interrupt hunts to test suppressors, and/or ammunition in the field, we need your help to politely urge the NRC to drop these unnecessary and unenforceable provisions from the proposed rule. They can be reached at: [email protected], or by phone at (517) 284-6237.
View Quote

We need to tell them that we oppose these restrictions!
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#21]
They're meeting Thursday in Thompsonville, which is in the Traverse City area. If anyone with half a brain can get there to make the case, that would be helpful.

http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-65134_65145---,00.html
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#22]
New info here.  http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/WCO012016_Suppressors_508900_7.pdf

Looks like they are going to allow it with some stupid restrictions . Cannot suppress more than 30 decibels and cannot use sub sonic rounds.  

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:05:04 AM EDT
[#23]
"Ammo when fired its velocity does not reach 1126fps, as provided by the manufactures specifications"

That's about the most unenforceable, poorly written, plan out dumb, piece of pseudo legislation I've ever read. Obviously by dumb asses who have never fired a suppressor. There are about a hundred different variables that go into muzzle velocity.

So, the manufacturer states the velocity is 1200fps, typical hunting 22lr. I shoot it through a suppressed 22 pistol. Due to barrel length its now ~1000fps and now subsonic. Not manufactured by the company as subsonic but comes out the barrel as such. Is that a violation? The order states " provided by the manufactures specifications". I think not, but hate to be the SOB having to fight that battle in court.

What about hand loading. I load 300BO at 1200 out of a 16" barrel. When I shoot it out of a 8" ATF approved SBR its now subsonic.

For that matter if I hand load, do I even meet the definition of a "manufacturer"? ATF says not if its for personal use. Therefore hand loads don't qualify under the order.

What about temperature? Some loads, specially 22lr, will go subsonic out of a rifle based on temperature.

What about the variances in the manufacturing process? If you've ever shot a suppressed pistol, you know some go subsonic, some go supersonic.

As stated, some manufacturers don't list the decibel reduction for their suppressors. Plus, try to find a decent suppressor that only does 30db.

Only Bureaucrats can take a easy to regulate and enforce activity, and totally f__k it up.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"Ammo when fired its velocity does not reach 1126fps, as provided by the manufactures specifications"

That's about the most unenforceable, poorly written, plan out dumb, piece of pseudo legislation I've ever read. Obviously by dumb asses who have never fired a suppressor. There are about a hundred different variables that go into muzzle velocity.

So, the manufacturer states the velocity is 1200fps, typical hunting 22lr. I shoot it through a suppressed 22 pistol. Due to barrel length its now ~1000fps and now subsonic. Not manufactured by the company as subsonic but comes out the barrel as such. Is that a violation? The order states " provided by the manufactures specifications". I think not, but hate to be the SOB having to fight that battle in court.

What about hand loading. I load 300BO at 1200 out of a 16" barrel. When I shoot it out of a 8" ATF approved SBR its now subsonic.

For that matter if I hand load, due I even meet the definition of a "manufacturer"? ATF says not if its for personal use. Therefore hand loads don't qualify under the order.

What about temperature? Some loads, specially 22lr, will go subsonic out of a rifle based on temperature.

What about the variances in the manufacturing process? If you've ever shot a suppressed pistol, you know some go subsonic, some go supersonic.

As stated, some manufacturers don't list the decibel reduction for their suppressors. Plus, try to find a decent suppressor that only does 30db.

Only Bureaucrats can take a easy to regulate and enforce activity, and totally f__k it up.

View Quote

You're 100% correct. Can you or anyone else get to the Thursday meeting to explain it to NRC before they codify this silliness?
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

For that matter if I hand load, due I even meet the definition of a "manufacturer"? ATF says not if its for personal use. Therefore hand loads don't qualify under the order.

View Quote

Couldn't agree more.  Like stated above leave it to our lawmakers to fu**  this one up. How in the hell can they even enforce this law. So many variables here.

Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I cant make the meeting, but will be emailing every one of them that I can tonight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
If that passes as written, then I won't even bother using my can on public land.

Will the DNR cops be issued a chronograph to check velocity now?

They can kiss my ass.

Only state that will allow hunting with a can, and we have this BS added to the regulations.

They are so afraid of somebody will go poaching with a suppressor,  yet a crossbow can't be heard 30 feet from the road.
Poacher's dream tool, and they sell them over the counter at Wally's World. No $200.0 NFA stamp required.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I sent an email to the DNR email address on the ASA's Facebook page. I'll post up the reply here.... If I get one
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't think those two restrictions will stick.  Just some busy body sucking up your tax dollars writing another BS law/restriction/tax.  

At least it is a start, we gain ground in regards to gun laws the same way the anti's are trying to take them away, a little at a time.  

I never would have thought when I moved back to MI in 1997 that we would have CCW/SBR's/Suppressors, etc.  We've come a long way.  

Let's get this squared away and get rid of that silly pistol registration.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Did anybody find out what happened today? I've been checking ASA and the NRA-ILA  pages for updates and nothing yet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:52:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I love the progress.  This is great news.  Im actually not surprised about the no subs rule.  You guys need to realize many of those NRC guys aren't as bad as you think.  Im torn really.   I favor less restrictions.   However,  I dont agree with subsonic hunting for deer sized animals.   Ive seen far too many deer lost over the years with full power 30.06 loads to believe subsonic deer hunting is a good idea.  Now we have a bunch of novice shooters/hunters believing the sub sonic expanding nonsense and trying to take a 200lb deer at 100 yards.  Its not a good plan.... the NRC knows this and other states do as well.  You will see many move to stop sub sonic hunting for deer.  Hog control,  sure.  Why not, its a cull.  It simply doesnt make sense with deer.  They will likely keep this provision and dump the unenforceable 30db rule.  

Before anyone gets all bow hunting on me.....  my broad head doesnt need to expand to make a large very reliable hole.  Shot placement is still key of course, so a moot point.  Then it falls to energy and range.  I shoot a compound and hold it inside of 30 yards for an ethical kill.  Id go a bit further with a crossbow.  If subsonic hunters did the same it wouldnt be an issue.

Let this go guys...  read about results of subsonic larger game hunting in other states.   Then sit back and think for a minute...  WHY do you need to shoot subs hunting?  Yes yes I already acknowledge freedom but we all agree hunting needs regulations.   What does a hunter gain hunting deer with subs over supers?  Nothing... nada zip.  Those few decibels of sonic crack are not the difference in hearing damage.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I love the progress.  This is great news.  Im actually not surprised about the no subs rule.  You guys need to realize many of those NRC guys aren't as bad as you think.  Im torn really.   I favor less restrictions.   However,  I dont agree with subsonic hunting for deer sized animals.   Ive seen far too many deer lost over the years with full power 30.06 loads to believe subsonic deer hunting is a good idea.  Now we have a bunch of novice shooters/hunters believing the sub sonic expanding nonsense and trying to take a 200lb deer at 100 yards.  Its not a good plan.... the NRC knows this and other states do as well.  You will see many move to stop sub sonic hunting for deer.  Hog control,  sure.  Why not, its a cull.  It simply doesnt make sense with deer.  They will likely keep this provision and dump the unenforceable 30db rule.  

Before anyone gets all bow hunting on me.....  my broad head doesnt need to expand to make a large very reliable hole.  Shot placement is still key of course, so a moot point.  Then it falls to energy and range.  I shoot a compound and hold it inside of 30 yards for an ethical kill.  Id go a bit further with a crossbow.  If subsonic hunters did the same it wouldnt be an issue.

Let this go guys...  read about results of subsonic larger game hunting in other states.   Then sit back and think for a minute...  WHY do you need to shoot subs hunting?  Yes yes I already acknowledge freedom but we all agree hunting needs regulations.   What does a hunter gain hunting deer with subs over supers?  Nothing... nada zip.  Those few decibels of sonic crack are not the difference in hearing damage.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:08:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/rifle/products/300-aac-blackout-whisper-194gr-subsonic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648  

When I first read this post I thought perhaps it was written by Nancy Pelosi or Diane Feinstein . But seriously, which of the other 37 States that currently allow hunting with suppressors have ANY restrictions on dB reduction or a ban on sub-sonic ammo when using a suppressor? Also, can you point me to the page in the most recent Michigan hunting guide that banned hunters from this past rifle season from using sub-sonic ammo WITHOUT a suppressor because I couldn't find it.

If you read the memo that was sent from the various DNR entities to the commissioners you would've seen that ethical kills had nothing to do with it, it was referenced in a sentence that 'neither citizens or officers could hear the direction or distance shot came from'. It was very clear they were talking about poaching and I addressed that in my detailed e-mail to the commissioners by asking them if that memo was alluding that suppressor owners would suddenly become poachers if they used sub-sonic ammo with a suppressor, the answer is of course not.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 2:16:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been hunting in Oregon the past four seasons with a .300 blackout SBR, suppressed.
I've killed three deer with subs and only had to track one 70 yards.  

My hunting buddy uses the same configuration and has killed two deer and a big cat.

Good subs work great.

Low recoil == double tap.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/rifle/products/300-aac-blackout-whisper-194gr-subsonic-maximum-expansion-ammo?variant=1066138648  

When I first read this post I thought perhaps it was written by Nancy Pelosi or Diane Feinstein . But seriously, which of the other 37 States that currently allow hunting with suppressors have ANY restrictions on dB reduction or a ban on sub-sonic ammo when using a suppressor? Also, can you point me to the page in the most recent Michigan hunting guide that banned hunters from this past rifle season from using sub-sonic ammo WITHOUT a suppressor because I couldn't find it.

If you read the memo that was sent from the various DNR entities to the commissioners you would've seen that ethical kills had nothing to do with it, it was referenced in a sentence that 'neither citizens or officers could hear the direction or distance shot came from'. It was very clear they were talking about poaching and I addressed that in my detailed e-mail to the commissioners by asking them if that memo was alluding that suppressor owners would suddenly become poachers if they used sub-sonic ammo with a suppressor, the answer is of course not.
View Quote

What he said.  

Really hoping the BS subsonic and DB rule's get dropped.  Would be great to hunt some squirrels and small game with my suppressed 22's with some subsonic's.  With these rules you can pretty much kiss that goodbye
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Exactly my thoughts. I'm not even thinking about subs on large game. My hope is to hunt small game with them. Would spook the squirrels, bunnies, and yotes less and also save my ears (which already need earing aids due to shooting).
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Exactly my thoughts. I'm not even thinking about subs on large game. My hope is to hunt small game with them. Would spook the squirrels, bunnies, and yotes less and also save my ears (which already need earing aids due to shooting).
View Quote

Same here, subsonic .22's for small game/trapline, and I'm going to suppress my .308 deer gun to try to save my hearing as much as I can.  I try to get my ear pro on before I shoot at deer, but that doesn't always happen.  

Hopefully this works out for us.  There are so many shooters and hunters in MI, I'm surprised we've had to dig ourselves out of all these restrictions over the years.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#38]
I pointed out the rimfire suppressor issue in my e-mail to them, in that most modern rimfire suppressors are at least 40dB reduction and rimfire firearms are used by many for small game. I spoke to someone at the NRC office today and found out it was just informational at the meeting yesterday, no action taken (what wasn't said was the discussion by the commissioners themselves). The Feb 11 meeting is when it will be decided. Here is the link to the memo the that was submitted to the commissioners and introduced at yesterday's meeting. As you'll read, it's full of contradictory info and missing details, i.e. what cans were tested in 2014 that gave a 12-28 dB reduction because they sure as hell didn't test any rimfire cans and the fact that they cite agencies that support suppressors for hearing protection but we don't want the best hearing protection for us hunters is also contradictory!

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/WCO012016_Suppressors_508900_7.pdf

It was told to me by him that the NRA AND ASA both spoke and that one of the orginizations as well as other public comment supported my stance on the removal of the restrictions. I know how State Gov't works and this will not be easy to overcome but we need a full court press from hunters as well as current and future suppressor owners to overcome these arbitrary restrictions!

And, I'm still waiting on the answers to my questions from my previous post.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Never mind we all figured out when we were 12 that if you have a long barreled bolt action .22 and run CB's or whatever name they go under all you hear is "click", thwack.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top