BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2015 3:42:33 PM EDT

http://westmipolitics.blogspot.com/2015/01/gov-snyder-signs-bill-strongly.html
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Huh.

"
Furthermore, SB 789 provides enhanced avenues for redressing licensing delays, wrongful denials and restoration of rights. Under SB 789, the county clerks and MSP have 45 days—beginning on the date fingerprints are taken—to either issue a CPL or provide a notice of disqualification. If the licensing authority fails to comply with the 45-day requirement, the individual’s fingerprint receipt and driver’s license will serve as a temporary license"

Interesting provision - you get a defacto CPL if yourapplication sits too long? I didn't pay much attention to this bill, as it really didn't concern me...My CPL went from clerks office to my hand in 7 days. Was there previously a problem with gun boards denying CPLs or sitting on applications? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate any legislation that makes gun ownership a little less onerous...but is this fixing a real problem?
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 10:19:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Huh.

"
Furthermore, SB 789 provides enhanced avenues for redressing licensing delays, wrongful denials and restoration of rights. Under SB 789, the county clerks and MSP have 45 days—beginning on the date fingerprints are taken—to either issue a CPL or provide a notice of disqualification. If the licensing authority fails to comply with the 45-day requirement, the individual’s fingerprint receipt and driver’s license will serve as a temporary license"

Interesting provision - you get a defacto CPL if yourapplication sits too long? I didn't pay much attention to this bill, as it really didn't concern me...My CPL went from clerks office to my hand in 7 days. Was there previously a problem with gun boards denying CPLs or sitting on applications? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate any legislation that makes gun ownership a little less onerous...but is this fixing a real problem?
View Quote

In Kent County CPL applications and renewals easily exceeded 45 days.  My latest renewal took several months.  Ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I got my renewal in November and it took about a week.  Gun boards were still in effect at that time and because my renewal date/birthday was a week after the gun board met they were only going to renew for 4+ years.  I mentioned that was not fair as my first CPL was only good for 4 years.  They relented and made it good for the 5 years as it should have been.

If they have done away with gun boards then hopefully this solves that issue.

When I lived in South Dakota they took your fingerprints, $10.00 and immediately issued a temporary permit.  Within 2 weeks you received a laminated permit.  If they denied you, you could sue.

In Arizona, before you didn't need a permit, the state would supposedly issue me one upon retirement at my job, I didn't work for the state..
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Erroneously reported as signed, it was vetoed http://www.michigan.gov/documents/snyder/Senate_Bills_789_790_Veto_Letter_479116_7.pdf
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#5]
The early stipulation was put into our shall issue law to prevent places like Wayne county from dicking with applicants and making it hard on them. Back when the law was new, it was several years before the initial application times were less than 9 months. After a few years, the knuckle draggers in Detroit started to see how much money they were making off of us rich suburbanites and started speeding things up. My last renewal in Wayne County was two months from the time I mailed it until the day it came.

Can't wait until the day we can just renew at the Secretary of State when renewing our drivers lincenses.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:54:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The early stipulation was put into our shall issue law to prevent places like Wayne county from dicking with applicants and making it hard on them. Back when the law was new, it was several years before the initial application times were less than 9 months. After a few years, the knuckle draggers in Detroit started to see how much money they were making off of us rich suburbanites and started speeding things up. My last renewal in Wayne County was two months from the time I mailed it until the day it came.

Can't wait until the day we can just renew at the Secretary of State when renewing our drivers lincenses.
View Quote

Did you have to go to the county clerk to pick it up and sign it?  I had to and that was a 66 mile round trip.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry guys I jumped the gun on this one.  I thought he might have seen the error of his ways, trusted Brandon of MCRGO  and posted.

Still I warned people about Snyder before the election and I was jeered and pilloried for my efforts.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Good news is they are putting the pressure on him. Looks like its already back in the works.

http://248shooter.com/index.php/vetoed-michigan-gun-bills-rebooted-pass-first-hurdle/
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:56:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Roman you can go back into the first post you made and change/edit the title to prevent confusion.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 11:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did you have to go to the county clerk to pick it up and sign it?  I had to and that was a 66 mile round trip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't remember, I think they mailed it, I was surprised-I remember that much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top