Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2014 1:17:00 AM EDT
Anyone here a trainer or gun board member?

I have a couple questions about items on the cpl application sheet

And also, is there anywhere/one to take the class portion from that doesn't cost more than he damn application process?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife and nephew took the class at Gander Mountain, for the 'couples' price of $75 each.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I imagine most trainers on arfcom would be identifiable by the handgun "trainer" icon under their profile.  What kind of questions did you have?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:59:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And also, is there anywhere/one to take the class portion from that doesn't cost more than he damn application process?
View Quote

North Macomb Sportmans Club near Romeo is $95.

CQT in Shelby Twp is $99.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I imagine most trainers on arfcom would be identifiable by the handgun "trainer" icon under their profile.  What kind of questions did you have?
View Quote

About the retired Leo exemptions, and such
I think honestly it would be more for gun board folks,

Anyone ever take anything from the training group called sas?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a Community Service Trooper for the Michigan State Police.  He teaches the law portion of the cpl course at the club I belong to.  He may be able to answer a question.  Answering public questions is part of his job.

If you google Ask Trooper Rob, you'' see he answers his share of gun related questions.

His email for questions is [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm an instructor, ask your questions.

As for the first one most likely no there is not.  I will qualify that however, there are some cut rate instructors out there but you will get what you pay for, or don't as the case may be.  Yes your just taking the class because your required to, but as long as you are taking it don't you want to get what you pay for?  There are times to go cheap, this is not one of them.  I'll give you an example: A few years ago there was a place down the road from me that advertised a class "everyday" for just $70 seems like a good deal right?  He taught his class with airsoft guns, no firing range, no live ammunition, you "practiced" with airsoft toys.  Are you planning to carry airsoft?  Sure it was just $70 but did any of his "students" get what they paid for?  Also the state has very strict requirments for these classes, and while I have never personally heard of it happening if your class is known to not meet them they could deny your license.  Another trick a lot of cut rate instructors do is throw in a bunch of required hidden costs to artificially keep the "price" low.  "Take my class it's only $50!"  then you get there and you get the "oh by the ways" like $50 for your supplies, $25 for your range time, You have to use my ammo for the low low price of 4 times retail, want me to actually issue you a certificate? That will be another $25.  At the end of the day your $50 class has cost you $200.  Some instructors should not be instructors.

You may be able to get a better deal if you can get a group togethor, for instance I always give a discount if you bring people with you because that's less work I need to do.

The average price is about $150, though you can find some for as low as $100 if you really look, be very wary of any cheaper than that because they are probably cutting corners and or have hidden costs.

I would do these classes for $50 if I could, but I can't there are costs:
Each student is required per NRA rules, and by extension by state law since the law is predicated on NRA rules (assuming it's an NRA course and 99% of them are), to be given a student packet, each packet with shipping comes out to about $15 each.
I need some place to actually hold the class, that costs money, how much depends on where the class is.  The more students I have the less impact this has because it's spread out over the whole class, not per student.  Usually this is between $50 and $200.
I am required to bring someone in to do the legal section, I know it and could teach it but I am not allowed to, these people do not work for free, it's usually about $100-$200 depending on who I use, again this is spread out over the class.
Then there is range time, most (almost all) the instructors will not include this and it will be a hidden fee, but I include it in the price up front.  How much this costs depends on the range, but it's usually about $15 per student.
Next is ammunition cost, since I do not require you to use my guns I have no idea what you will be shooting so you will be responsible for your own ammo in my classes, but some instructors include some, but they also usually require you to rent there (very expensive) pistol.
Next is lunch, it's an 8 hour class and people have to eat, most instructors leave lunch up to the students, but I include it in the price, it costs me about $5 per student.
Then there is transportation, I have to pay gas to get to the class then home again, it's usually around $20 worth, again this is spread over the class.
Lastly is advertising, I needed to get you to the class somehow, and ads, show fees, business cards, etc. all cost money.
So the grand total per student cost is at least $35 plus I need to add class space, the legal instructor fee, and expenses.  Usually this works out to about $30-$50 per student.  Whatever is left over is my profit, and that is for 8 hours of my time in class, plus at least as long setting it up.  It works out to at best about $2 an hour per student.

If you can get about 4 other people I can do it for you for about $100 each, but that is the best I can do, and that's a gift.  I'm only making about $15 each doing that.  I would really prefer closer to 10 people for that price.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...He taught his class with airsoft guns, no firing range, no live ammunition, you "practiced" with airsoft toys...
View Quote

If the state wants to define toys (pellet guns and rifled BB guns) as firearms, this is what they are going to get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top