Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2014 7:26:37 AM EDT
We do now.

I expect full reports from everyone that is hunting.

Good luck and be safe
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Just heard a shot outback I haven't bought any tags this year though since the herd is thin.

Nothing has been hitting my "Compost Pile" yet, and I can see it from my computer room.

I will buy a tag BEFORE hunting
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I live in the heart of suburban SE MI.  I'm heading north the week of Thanksgiving.  Leave a few deer for me...
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live in the heart of suburban SE MI.  I'm heading north the week of Thanksgiving.  Leave a few deer for me...
View Quote

What part of the north?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't seen a deer since Thursday afternoon.  I'm kicking myself for not shooting that spike.

As I got to my blind about 0645 this morning,  I heard a shot about a mile off.

Season started early for somebody.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Around here it seems deer season opens on 9/15 most  years
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of gun fire in the opening hours here in Lapeer Co. Slowed down quick though. Almost like the deer said "oh crap its opening day" and hid. We got one doe so far in our group. Get back at it this evening.

Update: Nice 8 point and another doe harvested on the property. Dam those bucks are harder to drag out. Plenty of other shots heard in the area just before dark. Buck was in full rut chasing does when he was dropped.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Pokie, are you in the feet of snow north or simply north?

Did you kill anything?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pokie, are you in the feet of snow north or simply north?

Did you kill anything?
View Quote

Just my north, I only have a couple days and then I go to work before I get the rest of the season off. Might head to the snow then

ETA Saw 6 does and a spike, nothing to shoot at yet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#9]
This am 8:00 ish I did some ballistic research on a doe with my 50 BEOWULF. 350  gr xtp@1996 fps. She died.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Stay warm guys and good luck.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'll text pics if I kill anything worth texting pics of.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Text pics anyway.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Hunting near Kalamazoo. Been a quiet archery season aka I haven't seen shit worth shooting and nothing in range. Today a doe and buck were shot in my group. I shot the buck, it was a 6 pt but had an antler sheared off so it is a 3 pt

First deer I've had a shot at all season so I took him. Our group of 5 only saw those two deer all day

Gun shot about a 3/4 a mile away on the adjacent property before I even got to my stand. I was using a flashlight still I can't believe someone was able to even see.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This am 8:00 ish I did some ballistic research on a doe with my 50 BEOWULF. 350  gr xtp@1996 fps. She died.
View Quote
Pic of the carnage?!

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Text pics anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Text pics anyway.

Judging by my level of drunkeness at the moment it won't be early.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:19:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Just as quiet as last year. Nothing moving and only 5 shots heard all morning.

During lunch, the Mutts went nuts, and sure as shit, there was a Doe and a spike in the back yard, looking nervous about having been pushed out of the neighbors wood lot.
Same stupid Doe that has been hanging around the last two years, and raising her fawns in our Blueberry fields. She's darn near tame, and has to be shooed out of the way when I'm spraying.

Nothing moving this afternoon, even when the neighbors started pushing. Only two shots from the south, which is usually a hotbed early in gun season.

The Blue tongue disease, 'Yotes, and unlimited doe tags for a decade have really clobbered the population around here.
It kind of makes me hope that stupid Doe lays up behind the barn, and stays put like last year. Too many does getting tagged and a bad winter coming.

Good luck gang!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I won a doe tag in the drawing but haven't claimed it yet,ie paid $20 for it.
With few deer,doe will be a premium come next rut. Plus they might already be carrying Bambii
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Can someone explain the deer licenses to me? I have my base and deer tag but the guy said I can shoot a buck or doe but only one deer. I am nervous since I don't understand the new rules

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can someone explain the deer licenses to me? I have my base and deer tag but the guy said I can shoot a buck or doe but only one deer. I am nervous since I don't understand the new rules

View Quote

Exactly what you said is correct. You can only shoot one deer with that tag but it doesn't matter what sex it is.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Exactly what you said is correct. You can only shoot one deer with that tag but it doesn't matter what sex it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you very much
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got back from 2nd day of hunting i n Alcona County north of Harrisville.Did not see a thing in woods, very few shots opening morning nothing close by. i think there were a lot of winter kill last year.I did get a few does on my game cam Nov.10 and 13th. Saw one as I was driving out of woods tonight.Very slow and disheartening.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Seen a doe and a 4pt tonight. My dad shot a doe because he had my nephew with him and it was the first time he's seen a deer get shot. He's 6 but he's ready to go hunting now.

My cousins wife shot a really nice drop tine 9pt
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Went steelhead fishing this evening. Supposedly a big 10 chased a doe out in front of my stand.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:43:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Went steelhead fishing this evening. Supposedly a big 10 chased a doe out in front of my stand.
View Quote

Are you hunting local? I have been up in pentwater and have not seen much of anything
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you hunting local? I have been up in pentwater and have not seen much of anything
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, northern Kent. Haven't been seeing squat since I got back from Illinois. Just a few does every night. Same couple. Sounds like the area by my blind exploded with activity tonight. Guess I picked the wrong night to fish.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pic of the carnage?!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pic of the carnage?!  

I didn't take a photo.  65 yds running shot. 23 mph? Through and through.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pic of the carnage?!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pic of the carnage?!  

I didn't take a photo.  65 yds running shot. 23 mph? Through and through.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh gosh.....I forgot to give a damn.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#29]
You cared enough to click on a thread about it.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oh gosh.....I forgot to give a damn.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm missing gun season altogether this year, I'm on Guam for the month.   I did a couple deer here the other night, they're tiny
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#32]
I saw nothing, and froze my butt off!  Eastern Missaukee county.  Some shooting opening morning, very little after that.  Some mornings and evenings I heard zero shooting at all.

Plenty of deer on the trail cam, but they are all coming in very late at night, between midnight and 3:00am.  Nothing I can do with that.  It was the same story for me during archery as well.

It was a bumper crop of acorns and apples this year, which I suspect is affecting the way they hit bait piles and move.

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:05:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hunting in Lovells (about 20 miles N/E of Grayling). I shot a doe at 7:20 and a spike 2 hours later on opening morning. Our camp took a 4 point, 2 spikes, and 3 does.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c289/Lumpy223/DC2014.jpg
View Quote

Should let me know when you're up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I was out maybe 3 times during archery.  Zero times yet during gun.   Been busy and little motivation.  Usually you cant keep me out of the woods.   Maybe if I started to see some pics you guys would motivate me!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was out maybe 3 times during archery.  Zero times yet during gun.   Been busy and little motivation.  Usually you cant keep me out of the woods.   Maybe if I started to see some pics you guys would motivate me!
View Quote

Ok

Link Posted: 11/18/2014 9:35:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Took a spike Sunday morning in tuscola county
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#38]

Got a 7 point at 3:45 Tuesday afternoon.

Didn't even make it to my stand.

I'm glad I did not have to sit it was cold,windy,snowy.

I'm just east of Mackinaw City.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#39]
All day Saturday and afternoon on Sunday in Lowell, saw nothing.  Unfortunately they haven't cut the corn yet so thinking until they do we won't see any deer there, tracks all over the place but they are hiding in the corn during the day, food, cover, what else could they want.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Western Ontonagon was a bust due to too much snow, too few deer and too many wolves.  Even the migration routes along the Ontonagon River were showing few deer crossing through the area.

Several weigh in stations reported no deer brought in on opening day, several had none the second day either.  One radio report from a fellow who has hunted the same camp since he was nine years old said first time he could not get to camp & he is 75 years old this season.

I was unable to get to the place I usually park my camper because of 3 feet of snow.  It's a seasonal road & the county does not plow it. I did stay and hunt at another camp some friends were able to plow open.  I walked on my snow shoes for 6hrs opening day & only crossed two tracks that were together & south bound.  Second day, I only found one track.

The guys that hunt from blinds over bait saw nothing.

We still made a good time of it.  I took some pics & enjoyed the usual camaraderie.  The cribbage board & coffee pot got a work out.  

Wood got moved into the cabin.

After 4hrs walking on the second day, I carried my snow shoes once back on the main trail to the cabin.

Had to repair my hunting buddy's snow shoes with some paracord.

The first 65 miles on the way back to lower Michigan looked pretty much like this on Monday.

It looked pretty much the same once we crossed the Mackinac Bridge down to mile marker 275.  25mph on I-75, go figure.

Two severe winters in a row & this one starting out harsh.  It'll take a decade to get the deer herd back.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow, that's a lot of snow already!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#43]
After seeing nothing on opening weekend, nothing on Monday, nothing on Tuesday morning I shot a 6 point Tuesday afternoon.  Its been a slow season so I'm glad I got that Buck.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#44]
We were up in Traverse City this weekend (felt like we were in Utica) for a Hockey Tourney...on the way up Friday morning, I saw A LOT of deer on top of vehicles and in the bed's of trucks going southbound.

On the way home yesterday, I saw a bunch of dead deer..but I only saw them on top of minivans...all kinds of minivans, jalopy's and new Town and Country's...didn't see ANY pick ups or other such trucks with dead deet..just minivans.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Interesting.

Coming home yesterday, I commented to my wife that I haven't seen a dead deer heading south yet this year.

I've hunted every weekend.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:52:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Dad got a small 8 point tonight. I failed to get a good pic though
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:25:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
We were up in Traverse City this weekend (felt like we were in Utica) for a Hockey Tourney...on the way up Friday morning, I saw A LOT of deer on top of vehicles and in the bed's of trucks going southbound.

On the way home yesterday, I saw a bunch of dead deer..but I only saw them on top of minivans...all kinds of minivans, jalopy's and new Town and Country's...didn't see ANY pick ups or other such trucks with dead deet..just minivans.
View Quote

A friend of mine fit 5 on the top of her Grand Prix

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Went out again yesterday, so cold.  Just as we were packing up and ready to head out, I told my buddy that "It would be nice just to see some f*ing deer out here."  

We just start walking back in when I see like 6-10 deer trotting through on the neighbors property right on the edge of the woods.  Course they are like 200 yds away in the fading light, we stood there watching them when the neighbor probably 3 properties over starts letting loose, 7 shots, hope he at least got something. We were hoping they would come running back at us but no luck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top