Got damn JV is on fire tonight!!
View Quote

NoShat
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Need to bust this one open with some runs nows
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:09:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Good to see him back in form, and pitching angry.
It's been too damn long.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I'm the only Tigers fan in the world who never gave up on Justin.

AWESOME game. The Ace is back fellas!
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I just wish he would start out the season better, seems the last 3 years he shows up at the end of the season, congrats JV
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#7]
So as I'm watching a dam replay, I'm starting to like Gibby as a Color Man, even though I know he is a AZZ in person.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I just wish he would start out the season better, seems the last 3 years he shows up at the end of the season, congrats JV
View Quote

Pedro Martinez was talking about Verlander last night on MLB Network. He said that Verlander going all those years pitching 200+ inning, and then pitching deep into the post season takes it toll and that sometimes it takes a full season for you to recover. Add to that the core muscle injury in 2013 and the surgery before the 2014 season, and it has held him back.

This season with the DL stint, probably a short season with no post season may be a blessing for Verlander, Sanchez and Cabrera going into next season. They will have less of a work load and more time to recover before starting their workout to prepare for next season.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Behold!!!

The legacy of Dumbrowski, on full display in Toronto.

The best offense, and Defense in Baseball, is nullified, if your starting rotation is a collection of Chumps, and your pen is staffed with losers, and kids that are still shitting Gerber products..

Toronto staffed right. Dumbrowski staffed to put butts in the bleachers, and sell swag.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
The Tigers should be getting some high draft picks next year.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Think they will be on the hunt for a manager also
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

Manager, Left Fielder (I am hoping they target Alex Gordon) and at least two starting pitchers.

If they keep Wilson, Hardy, Ver Hagen, Rondon, Knudsen and one of the new guys (Norris, Boyd or Fulmer) in the pen, then they may only need to find a couple of relievers. The problem with relievers is that by the time they become free agents their usefulness is usually in the past.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:10:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Manager, Left Fielder (I am hoping they target Alex Gordon) and at least two starting pitchers.

If they keep Wilson, Hardy, Ver Hagen, Rondon, Knudsen and one of the new guys (Norris, Boyd or Fulmer) in the pen, then they may only need to find a couple of relievers. The problem with relievers is that by the time they become free agents their usefulness is usually in the past.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If they play their cards right, they can be VERY good next year.

Not sure how much faith I have in the front office though, when it comes to making those decisions.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:24:59 PM EDT
[#15]
It's starting to look like it's going to be a long afternoon for the Tigers
I was typing this as the 2nd HR in the 1st was going out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#17]
So here is my assessment of the 2015 Tigers:

1. Justin Verlander getting hurt in Spring Training was a killer. Had Justin been healthy and pitched the entire season, then Price and Verlander at the top of the rotationwould have been the best 1-2 punch in baseball.

2. Simon has been about as close to a disaster as they come. His only redeeming quality right now is that he is healthy enough to pitch.

3. Greene was pitching hurt and didn't tell anyone, or it was not diagnosed properly. He complained of numbness and was sent to Toledo, he had numbness when he came back and they found out it was a medical issue. I suspect that the health problem started when his effectiveness died and it either wasn't considered, wasn't brought up, ignored or misdiagnosed.

4. Sanchez is getting old.

5. The Bullpen went unaddressed. For many years this was the Tigers' biggest failing. This year it wasn't. It has been a problem to be sure, but it wasn't the death of this team. The problems with the rotation are the biggest flaw with this team.

I can't complain about the offense. You see game after game where they start out behind and I really think that is taking it's toll. As Jim Price says, the guys in the field are chasing down the pitchers' mistakes and wind up down 4 or 5 runs early, and then when they battle back the Bullpen comes in a gives up more runs. You can't score enough runs for this pitching staff.

Here is what I consider to be the good news:

1. Verlander is back. He got healthy in the off season, got healthy with his time on the DL and is showing that he is once again an ace. I think this short season and a full offseason is going to help him be ready for next year.

2. The bullpen has a few bright spots that are emerging. Hardy and Wilson have been rock solid and now Drew Ver Hagen is showing that he can be a lockdown arm as well. You also have Matt Boyd who is starting now, but learning on the fly to pitch at the major league level. If Boyd loses the contest for the 5th spot in the rotation then next year then he should be in the bullpen and I think he will do fine, just as Smyly did in 2013.

3. The Offense will be good. Miggy, JDMart, Castellanos, McCann, Kinsler and Iggy are all good hitters. Gose has actually improved as a hitter this year. VMart will need to improve next year and the Tigers will need a new left fielder. I am hoping they target Alex Gordon for the left field job.

4. The defense looks strong for next year still. Kinsler and Iggy up the middle, McCann is getting good behind The Dish, Miggy is not a bad first basemen, Castellanos has improved, JDMart is making All Star plays (and becoming a 5 tool player) in right and Gose is more than adequate in center. If they land Gordon for left field then this team's defense will be second to none.

That leaves the questions for 2016:

The Rotation - JV, Sanchez and one of the rookies (Norris, Boyd, Fulmer or Greene) will all get spots. So the Tigers will need two starters. I think that they should target #2 or #3 guys, someone like a Fister or Gio that they can get for a moderate salary. They don't need a Price or a Cueto who is going to cost a fortune. I would not be opposed to seeing Randy Wolf get a non-roster invite to Spring Training to see if he can win a spot. Alphabet from Chicago might be an option, if he doesn't demand $20 million/year.

Left Field - Everyone in Detroit seems to want Cespedes back. I would rather have Gordon. Either way, they need a good left fielder.

The Bullpen - This is tricky. Free agent relievers are usually used up. I would see about trading for relievers or look for failed starters who can be recovered.

That's my take, and I know everything so don't argue with me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:35:05 AM EDT
[#18]
At least the Tiger's didn't lose last night.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Lynn Henning is already replacing Ausmus with Gardenhire. Not sure I agree, I always liked Gardy but he hasn't won squat.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/08/31/call-ups-unlikely-make-much-difference-tigers/71499058/
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:40:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Lynn Henning is already replacing Ausmus with Gardenhire. Not sure I agree, I always liked Gardy but he hasn't won squat.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/08/31/call-ups-unlikely-make-much-difference-tigers/71499058/

View Quote

Yeah, I don't know. The Twins were in last place. They fired Gardy, hired Molitor, signed Torii and now they are in second place. And those were pretty much their moves. Sure, they signed Santana, but he was out for half the season and he hasn't been that good since coming back.

I think they should get someone else. Maybe a long time coach who is ready for the move.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn. This is going to be a brutal 3 weeks of baseball.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

The pitching is really, really bad. Just...awful.

I am hoping that they finish with the worst record in baseball this year. It's the only thing you CAN hope for, so that they can get the high draft picks.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a buddy in the Caribbeans, hes a KC fan, so we banter back and forth, he watched the game last night, then emailed this morning "When you said your pitching sucked.. Had no IDEA how bad.. maybe next year.. GRIN.."
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 4:52:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I am hoping that they finish with the worst record in baseball this year. It's the only thing you CAN hope for, so that they can get the high draft picks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's one way to look at it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#25]
VerHagee has to learn not to walk batters with the bases loaded
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 10:21:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Rondon shut them down in the 9th
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean they actually won a game?

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why yes they did today
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 6:57:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Why yes they did today
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why yes they did today

Rajai Davis and James McCann each hit a two run homer off of Drew Smyly and Rajai Davis hit a solo shot off one of Tampa Bay's relievers. Randy Wolf gave up 4 runs as well, but the Tigers pulled it out the 5-4 win, backed by, believe it or not, strong relief pitching from Ver Hagen, Wilson, Hardy and Rondon.

Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:47:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Rajai Davis and James McCann each hit a two run homer off of Drew Smyly and Rajai Davis hit a solo shot off one of Tampa Bay's relievers. Randy Wolf gave up 4 runs as well, but the Tigers pulled it out the 5-4 win, backed by, believe it or not, strong relief pitching from Ver Hagen, Wilson, Hardy and Rondon.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why yes they did today

I guess I'll keep rooting for the Rays then this series.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Rondon????, he loaded the base`s
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Rondon????, he loaded the base`s
View Quote

Yes he did. And luckily Blaine Hardy got the first out in the 9th and Rondon only had to get two outs. BUT, Rondon closed out the game without allowing a run, which for this team is a good day.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Was supposed to be at the game yesterday.But no way in hell!! I was dealing with traffic!!
27S was a cluster.Couldn't even imagine how 75 would have been
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#34]
For Those About To Rock,We salute You In Your Decision
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 1:55:01 PM EDT
[#35]
DeToilet Media reporting Brad Assmess will be fired at seasons end.
Mike wants to win a a World Serious and doesn't think Brad is the Man for the job
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Mike wants to win a a World Serious and doesn't think Brad is the Man for the job

View Quote

The rumor is that they already have Gardy lined up to take his place.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#37]
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/09/11/brad-ausmus-detroit-tigers/72077574/

"The Detroit Tigers can't pitch. Brad Ausmus can't do anything about that. No manager in baseball can.

So before you blame Ausmus, blame the man who hired him, Dave Dombrowski, for assembling one of the worst staffs in the American League this year and for failing to build a bullpen last year.

Those deficiencies undid the Tigers the last two years more than any moves Ausmus made or didn't make. But someone has to take the fall."
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2015/09/11/brad-ausmus-detroit-tigers/72077574/

"The Detroit Tigers can't pitch. Brad Ausmus can't do anything about that. No manager in baseball can.

So before you blame Ausmus, blame the man who hired him, Dave Dombrowski, for assembling one of the worst staffs in the American League this year and for failing to build a bullpen last year.

Those deficiencies undid the Tigers the last two years more than any moves Ausmus made or didn't make. But someone has to take the fall."
View Quote

How do you explain runners getting out at the plate.not taking the extra base, overthrowing the cut off man

Those are things a manager should see and have his coaches work with the offenders

You can have the best staff in baseball but when you leave a guy in too long, bad things happen.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

i dont think he is either
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rumor on the radio stations is that he's basically already hired for the job.

Good to see the guy go! But.... Dombrowski has a major hand in the downfall of the Detroit Tigers. As the Detroit Free Press said. But regardless, there were ALOT of team miscues during games that are within the Manager's controls to work on and correct.

Link Posted: 9/12/2015 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think Avila will go with a rehash manager.

My bet is Omar Vizquel
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#42]
What a throw by Moya, clothesline throw all the way in the air from left field to nail the runner at home

He did overthrow the cutoff man though
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Simon says you are fair weather fans
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't missed a play all season.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 11:45:44 PM EDT
[#45]
So were eliminated from the AL Central race?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Still in it for the wild card!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Daniel Norris did a HELL of a job. This kid is going to be a major league ace.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Daniel Norris did a HELL of a job. This kid is going to be a major league ace.
View Quote
Was very impressed!

Link Posted: 9/20/2015 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Justin Verlander has a 2.7 fWAR over 12 starts in the second half. Among pitchers, that is 4th best in baseball in the second half and best in the American League. The only guys better over that time are Kershaw, Bumgarner and Arrieta.
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top