Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 19
Posted: 11/12/2014 6:22:41 PM EDT
The World Series is over, the hot stove is hot and Victor Martinez is coming back!

Wait 'till THIS year!

Go Tigers!
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The World Series is over, the hot stove is hot and Victor Martinez is coming back!

Wait 'till THIS year!

Go Tigers!
View Quote

Quoted for October 2015
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Good start to the off season, but DD still has some work to do.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#3]
And so the Tigers just traded their top prospect for Anthony Gose.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Just saw they signed Gose.

Looks promising but weak at the plate, but he's still a kid.
Good numbers stealing though. He and Rajai in the same order would terrorize opposing pitchers...if they can get on base.

That's damn good news on Victor and 4 years is about right. He's getting up there in years.

We still need a Catcher, and need to sort out the Bullpen.
It's going to be interesting.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#5]
It'll be tough to get rid of Alex, being his Daddy is Assistant General Manager.
Has anyone noticed nobody on the team complains about Junior
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It'll be tough to get rid of Alex, being his Daddy is Assistant General Manager.
View Quote

I like Avila and what he does with the pitching staff but I don't think I can watch him at the plate for another year.

I'd like to see them go after Russell Martin.  

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#7]
We need fucking offense besides Miggy and Martinez. And the bullpen has got to get fixed. And I want to read newspaper articles about Chamberlain on the street corner offering to suck cocks because he needs the money.  Worthless fuck.

That's all
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Just saw that the Tigers are willing to listen to offers on Avila possibly from the Braves and the Red Sox.

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We need fucking offense besides Miggy and Martinez. And the bullpen has got to get fixed. And I want to read newspaper articles about Chamberlain on the street corner offering to suck cocks because he needs the money.  Worthless fuck.

That's all
View Quote

bullpen has to be priority one; how many years has this been the problem??
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I like Avila and what he does with the pitching staff but I don't think I can watch him at the plate for another year.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think that will seriously happen. I don't think the Pirates will let him walk.

He is HUGE for that team.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I don't think that will seriously happen. I don't think the Pirates will let him walk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is but they signed Cervelli because they are not certain they can keep him.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like Hunter is gone

Torii Hunter will not be a Tiger again.

Detroit Tigers general manager/president Dave Dombrowski said he has notified Hunter that the club would not pursue him following the signing of Victor Martinez to a four-year contract.

Dombrowski said he called Hunter today to let him know.

"I called and said it just didn't look like it was going to fit the way the club was getting put together," Dombrowski said. "Thanked him for everything. Absolutely love him. If something changes where we make some changes for one reason or another, that we're not anticipating, we would still be open. It's just probably not much of a fit right now."

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Hunter is a class A guy. Sucks because I have a feeling he wanted to stay with the Tigers, and the business side can be real cold and ugly.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 1:17:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hunter is a class A guy. Sucks because I have a feeling he wanted to stay with the Tigers, and the business side can be real cold and ugly.
View Quote

Absolutely.

Torii isn't remarkable at the plate, or outfield, but his leadership and getting hits at the right time, got the Tigers a hell of a lot further down the road than his numbers would indicate.
He will be missed, and I hate to see him go. He is a class act and gave the team a definite personality.
I got the feeling he wanted to stay, and finish as a Tiger, right after he got here and started becoming really active in the community.
He will land somewhere, and class that place up too, at least for a couple years. There's still a few good games left in him if someone takes the chance.

I gotta admit, he was a favorite, and this kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 2:33:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

True.

But, we want this team to win a World Series and that becomes less and less likely with 40 year old outfielders. Torii is great and it was awesome having him as a Tiger. But they need to become a better defensive team.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

True.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

True.

But, we want this team to win a World Series and that becomes less and less likely with 40 year old outfielders. Torii is great and it was awesome having him as a Tiger. But they need to become a better defensive team.

Agreed 100% that he needed to go. I'm just saying its a sad fact of life.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#17]
You guys think Ausmus is up to the challenge next season? That's kind of the X factor, isn't it?
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

You guys think Ausmus is up to the challenge next season? That's kind of the X factor, isn't it?
View Quote

I'm more worried about how the players perform. Managers pick the lineup and make pitching changes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 3:15:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep! Absolutely.

Ralph Houk, Sparky, and Jesus rolled into one manager, might have gotten one game farther last season.

When you think about it, Brad did a hell of job with what he had to work with.
The Castrated Pen, half the line up not being able to hit a damn thing, the slump from hell, plain old bad luck and injurys...

Yeah, he ran out of tricks in the bag, and talent to put on the field, and had a career AAA shortstop pitching, but dammit, they made the post season.
Folks seemed to think he lost his mind or was clueless several times, but really, he was down to "Fuggit, let's hope for a miracle" at those points in the long game.

I just hope he doesn't get micromanaged into a corner like he did last year with the Pen.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Well they just announced they have exercised Alex Avila's option for 2015.

Damn. I hope he can hit better that .230
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:38:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well they just announced they have exercised Alex Avila's option for 2015.

Damn. I hope he can hit better that .230
View Quote

I hope him can make good talking and stuff with brain hurt stuff from balls.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:20:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Other catchers don't seem to get hit in the mask quite as often as AA. I think he's punch drunk. I realize it's a tough position but I only would get hit in the mask once or twice a season. It was only a 20 something game season with 85-90 MPH pitches but.....that averages out to 8 -16 times in 162
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Take a look who Alex is catching for.

JV, and Max both have viscous curves and sliders, that break like an F1 car on a hairpin corner.
Both generate a LOT of foul tips, and skips off the plate.

Alex is the absolute master at keeping both from generating a shitload of passed balls, and it involves putting the body and face on the mostly guessed path of the skip.
Watch him sometime when JV is on the bubble. The Dude wears holes in the shin guards smothering the insane pitches JV pulls off.

I caught for a couple guys that made it, and their junk was nowhere near as crazy, but generated lots of foul tips.
The better the junk, the more you are going to get beat the hell up behind the plate.

If you notice, the Umps get the crap beat out of them with JV and Max on the mound as well.

If Alex could hit as well as a AAA Catcher, I would have no issue with the guy. None.
His shot to 2nd has gotten a LOT better under Ausmus, and there really is no better Catcher behind the plate.
He's just slow on the bags, and can't hit for shit. I'd like to see him get better, but at what cost?

If Max stays, it's a wash with him in the line up.
He will save a shitload of passed balls, and runs.
Damn it would be nice if he generated a few hits more often though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Josh Zeid has joined the team.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Woo hoo?

6.51ish ERA IN 21 innings w 18Ks and 7 BBs.

Hey Dave, how come?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Woo hoo?

Hey Dave, how come?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woo hoo?

Hey Dave, how come?

Just piling more crap onto the bullpen pile...

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 11:51:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Woo hoo?

Hey Dave, how come?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woo hoo?

Hey Dave, how come?

UMMMM...

The need for someone to replace Phil Coke, as the Pariah in the Pen?

Only thing I can think of...unless DD needs fodder to pad another trade coming down the pipe.
Kinda weird even then. Maybe Brad knows something we aren't seeing.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#28]
The Tigers best player's are all over 30, they may lose Max, they are slow, the defense sucks and the bullpen is absolutely pathetic. DD is an excellent GM who for whatever reason can't fathom that this team will never, ever win a WS with this God awful bullpen-Ever.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Despite being miserable at my tigers all year, I'm feeling baseball withdrawl
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:53:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Despite being miserable at my tigers all year, I'm feeling baseball withdrawl
View Quote

AZ Fall league was on the other day.

I watched a couple innings to scratch the itch.

It's going to be a LOOOONG winter.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought some DVDs off eBay. I got Anibal's 17 strikeout game against the Braves two years ago, and I got a 4 pack of games with the 1968 WS game 6(??), the 1984 WS game 5, the last game at Tiger Stadium and the last game of the 2006 ALCS. I also have both of JV's no hitters on iTunes. I am trying to hold out until January before I watch the though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Hunter is going back to MN.
By the sounds of it,this will be his last season?
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I watched the '68 series in my 5th grade homeroom
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:56:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

He'll get a big ovation at Comerica Park.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 11:44:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hunter is going back to MN.By the sounds of it,this will be his last season?

Yep!

He's one of the few that made a mark, and nobody really wanted to see go...even if he was a dragging anchor.

Did you guys see Holiday was running his lips about Max?

Looks like Max is going to hold out to the last, and DD is going to keep the door open.

Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Yep!

He's one of the few that made a mark, and nobody really wanted to see go...even if he was a dragging anchor.

Looks like Max is going to hold out to the last, and DD is going to keep the door open.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hunter is going back to MN.By the sounds of it,this will be his last season?

Yep!

Which means that Santana, Shields, Samajdzcihikazjmd (whatever) and everyone else is going to get signed and the Tigers are going to still get yanked in the end.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 6:03:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I always liked Hunter since he started. He was a Tiger killer but he was always a class act.

That said I can't believe they gave him over 10 mil. With a full no trade clause.

Oh well better them than us.

It will be good to see him on opening day!
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:29:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gonna try my damnedest to see his last game here.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Tigers just traded Robby Ray to AZ for Shane Greene from NYY. 3 team trade.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:58:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Tigers just traded Robby Ray to AZ for Shane Greene from NYY. 3 team trade.
View Quote

Greene is one of those guys that will either grow into his paws, and be a monster, or be stuck as a klutz.

Ray wasn't coming around. Good swap IMO, as it makes for some flexibility towards the Pen.

What worries me are the rumors about Price and Porcello getting sent down the river.
DD is playing chicken with the starting lineup, to see what kind of reaction he gets.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Mike has a new sense of urgency due to his advanced age, and that urgency should trickle down all the way to the playing field in my opinion..
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#42]
WXYZ is reporting that the Tigers are no longer interested in Scherzer.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 4:37:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Saw that.

That means DD has got something cooking that leaves no room for Max, and is pretty solid.

I'm not even going to speculate anymore, as DD keeps pulling dumbassed moves, but I remain hopeful.

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Saw that.

That means DD has got something cooking that leaves no room for Max, and is pretty solid.

I'm not even going to speculate anymore, as DD keeps pulling dumbassed moves, but I remain hopeful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Saw that.

I think Greene is that move. They have Price, Porcello, JV, Sanchez and Geene as starters now and Lobstein for depth. Max is gone.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
   I think Greene is that move. They have Price, Porcello, JV, Sanchez and Geene as starters now and Lobstein for depth. Max is gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Saw that.

What I meant was, that with Max gone, it leaves a LOT of change rattling around in the ash tray without a purpose.

The starting 5 would be pretty decent as is, so that leaves the Pen, outfield, and possibly SS depending on how Iglesias is coming along.

If Illitch just wants a Ring, and doesn't mind a one and done, a closer and SS is in order.
If he's thinking 2-3 years of rolling the dice, which is more realistic, DD will be shuffling things a little more.
Price will be in the same place next year as Max is now, and the Pen is still a dumpster fire with no real closer, and several battered has beens that belong on a Golf course in Fla.

My gut tells me that DD has his eyeball on at least one more convoluted swap down the road, and he needs the $$$ for leverage.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 6:34:23 PM EDT
[#46]
http://www.foxsports.com/detroit/story/scherzer-has-reportedly-become-tigers-top-offseason-priority-120914

For the last nine months, Dave Dombrowski has played down the chances of the Tigers re-signing the 2013 Cy Young Award winner, pointing out that they could not reach a contract agreement during spring training, when they were the only bidders. That made it unlikely they would have more success when 29 other teams were allowed to pursue him.

That seemed even more likely when the Tigers traded two of the top-10 prospects to acquire Shane Greene -- a move that Dombrowski said finished off the Detroit rotation to his satisfaction.

However, ESPN's Buster Olney tweeted from the winter meetings in San Diego that Scherzer has become Detroit's top offseason priority, and that they are willing to spend "big, big dollars" to get him.

The Tigers' focus is on retaining Max Scherzer. They are prepared to spend big, big dollars. Want to keep Price for 2015, too.

— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 9, 2014

"Detroit really wants him back," Olney added.

The move would make sense for a team that has already signed Victor Martinez, Justin Verlander and Miguel Cabrera to huge contracts in an attempt to win an elusive World Series title. Bringing back Scherzer would give Detroit six solid starters, and would allow them to explore the option of trading Rick Porcello for outfield help -- a move that makes little sense without adding Scherzer or another high-quality starter.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#47]

For the last nine months, Dave Dombrowski has played down the chances of the Tigers re-signing the 2013 Cy Young Award winner, pointing out that they could not reach a contract agreement during spring training, when they were the only bidders. That made it unlikely they would have more success when 29 other teams were allowed to pursue him.

That seemed even more likely when the Tigers traded two of the top-10 prospects to acquire Shane Greene -- a move that Dombrowski said finished off the Detroit rotation to his satisfaction.

However, ESPN's Buster Olney tweeted from the winter meetings in San Diego that Scherzer has become Detroit's top offseason priority, and that they are willing to spend "big, big dollars" to get him.

The Tigers' focus is on retaining Max Scherzer. They are prepared to spend big, big dollars. Want to keep Price for 2015, too.

— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 9, 2014

"Detroit really wants him back," Olney added.

The move would make sense for a team that has already signed Victor Martinez, Justin Verlander and Miguel Cabrera to huge contracts in an attempt to win an elusive World Series title. Bringing back Scherzer would give Detroit six solid starters, and would allow them to explore the option of trading Rick Porcello for outfield help -- a move that makes little sense without adding Scherzer or another high-quality starter.

Peter Gamons was on MLB Network saying that he has talked to people in the organization this evening and they told him it's bullshit.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Max Scherzer is seeking a guarantee of more than $200 million, which only one pitcher (Clayton Kershaw) has achieved in MLB history

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Max Scherzer is seeking a guarantee of more than $200 million, which only one pitcher (Clayton Kershaw) has achieved in MLB history

View Quote

(What I hope detroit does to Scherzer.)
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 1:02:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I haven't forgotten the fact that Scherzer had a 4.5 is ERA at the 2012 All Star Break. He had 2.5 good years and now he wants the most money ever.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 19
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top