Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2014 1:10:08 AM EDT
So with all the information swamping the internet about SBR, I am overly confused and cannot find a direct answer in English from a reputable source.

I am in Michigan.

I understand that you can build an AR pistol using a lower that has never been registered as a rifle.
Then you have to register said lower as a pistol.

I can't find a straight answer on 80% lowers though. If you build a SBR/Pistol using an 80% lower, do you have to register it?

I searched these Michigan forums and found a lot on the SBR but cant find anything regarding building one with a 80% (no serial)
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So with all the information swamping the internet about SBR, I am overly confused and cannot find a direct answer in English from a reputable source.

I am in Michigan.

I understand that you can build an AR pistol using a lower that has never been registered as a rifle.
Then you have to register said lower as a pistol.

I can't find a straight answer on 80% lowers though. If you build a SBR/Pistol using an 80% lower, [span style='text-decoration: underline;']do you have to register it[/span]?

I searched these Michigan forums and found a lot on the SBR but cant find anything regarding building one with a 80% (no serial)
View Quote

Yes, and you'll need a serial # too.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Same apply to an 80% 1911?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Same apply to an 80% 1911?
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#4]
When the "lower" is in its 80% form, it is not a gun and is just a chunk of fancy metal.

When you finish machining it to 100%, it becomes an "other" firearm, which is neither a pistol nor rifle, and does not require registration.

The moment it does require registration is when you place a pistol/nfa upper on the lower, at which time it becomes a handgun/SBR and needs the respective paperwork.

For pistol registration you will need to add a serial number (whatever numbers you choose) and a manufacturer name on the gun so they can be recorded, the same info is required by the feds for an SBR build.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
So once the upper/barrel is placed on which is in pistol/sbr spec, it would need to be registered. If that is the case, then I guess it would just be easier
to buy a completed lower with S/N on it already.

I just wish I could find the information in writing somewhere for Michigan so I can be 100% sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top