Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2014 7:44:37 PM EDT
Hello all. I bought a pistol over the weekend without thinking about the requirement to register the gun at my local sheriff's office. I have 10 days to get it registered. Unfortunately, I am out of town for the next 2 weeks (oops). Anyone know if I can mail the registration card, or do I need to drop it off in person? I live in Michigan if that means anything.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You can either mail the MSP copy or drop it off in person. I sent mine certified mail, if you're still in town I would suggest going in person. Always get some proof you handed it in to CYA.

Technically it shouldn't matter what PD in Michigan you drop it off at since local PDs shouldn't keep a copy anymore. If you aren't in town and still in Michigan and are carrying your Purchaser Copy maybe a local PD will help you get it registered. They should still be happy with the end result that it got registered so they know where to come look for it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 7:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]
You didn't mention a license to purchase or a CPL. We'll assume you had one or the other to complete the purchase (if it was a private sale you may not have, though needed to legally). If you don't have the pistol sales record (again, if you bought from an FFL, I am sure you did) you can download one here.

BTW, the sales record states the copies are to be submitted to the police or sheriff agency having jurisdiction over where the Buyer lives, and that they will forward it to the MSP. I don't worry about proof I sent it .If it gets lost in the system or mail, the burden of proof h is on them. I have a large number of registered hand guns, that demonstrates I tend to comply with the law.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, regular mail is fine.

And IIRC, didn't the requirement get changed to 30 days?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And IIRC, didn't the requirement get changed to 30 days?
View Quote

The LTP was extended to be valid for 30 days. It's still 10 days to hand in the MSP copy after purchasing.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone. That certainly helps. I will drop it in the mail ASAP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top