Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2014 4:22:15 PM EDT
Hey guys, Just moved to Ann Arbor for school and wanted to get suggestions on things to do, sights to see and where to shoot. I'd prefer an outdoor range on state land as opposed to a club, since I'm a poor grad student.

Link Posted: 10/12/2014 9:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Island lake will fit the bill.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a burger at Blimpy Burger. Drink a fishbowl at Charley's. Eat at Jolly Pumpkin and Blue Tractor BBQ.

Call EOTech and see if they offer factory tours (they're made in AA in case you didn't know). Check out Ann Arbor Arms gun shop.

Start home brewing beer and buy supplies at Adventures In Homebrewing.

As for ranges, Rose Lake DNR range up near East Lansing and Island Lake are probably your outdoor, non-club choices.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#3]
What's a good gun club/indoor range?
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a burger at Blimpy Burger. Drink a fishbowl at Charley's. Eat at Jolly Pumpkin and Blue Tractor BBQ.

Call EOTech and see if they offer factory tours (they're made in AA in case you didn't know). Check out Ann Arbor Arms gun shop.

As for ranges, Rose Lake DNR range up near East Lansing and Island Lake are probably your outdoor, non-club choices.
View Quote

Awesome post, just what I was looking for!  I've heard that Jolly Pumpkin and Charley's are good, I'll have to try them.

The craft beer I've had here has been some of the best I've had. Founders and Bells are pretty solid.

I had no idea that EOTech is located in Ann Arbor, will definitely check them out.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:01:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to town. I live in Ypsi.

The best shooting spot in the A2 area (abbreviation for Ann Arbor) is Post46 up in Dexter/Pinckney http://www.post46hfc.com/; shoot me an email and I'll take you sometime.

I stopped at the Beer Grotto http://www.beergrotto.com/ on the way home from Post46 and they have a FANTASTIC selection of stuff on tap.

Check out Pita Pita for great middle eastern food http://pitapitaonline.com/.

Shannon Norman-Kotre is a great dentist http://www.kotreannarbordentist.com/.

Sidetracks in Depot Town has the best burgers in the area and I love their late night happy hour http://www.sidetrackbarandgrill.com/.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:38:07 AM EDT
[#6]
You mentioned being broke, so don't go to Cabela's in Dundee.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The best shooting spot in the A2 area (abbreviation for Ann Arbor) is Post46 up in Dexter/Pinckney http://www.post46hfc.com/; shoot me an email and I'll take you sometime.

I stopped at the Beer Grotto http://www.beergrotto.com/ on the way home from Post46 and they have a FANTASTIC selection of stuff on tap.

Sidetracks in Depot Town has the best burgers in the area and I love their late night happy hour http://www.sidetrackbarandgrill.com/.

View Quote

Do they have a pistol range? Is it crowded?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Awesome post, just what I was looking for!  I've heard that Jolly Pumpkin and Charley's are good, I'll have to try them.

The craft beer I've had here has been some of the best I've had. Founders and Bells are pretty solid.

I had no idea that EOTech is located in Ann Arbor, will definitely check them out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're located on Ellsworth between State and Stone School.  I've toured EOTech as a friend of a friend sort of deal.  Unfortunately, there's not much to see.  They don't let you get real close to the manufacturing action.  I assume to protect trade secrets.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#9]
If you are looking for a pistol range for mostly static shooting, check out TriCounty in Saline.

Post46 has 2 bays for rifles/pistols and a longer rifle range that can also be used for pistols. The beauty of Post46 is they allow more dynamic shooting (including NFA stuff) as long as the member is being safe.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks! I will check out post 46 and island lake.  I'll definitely be stopping by the Beer Grotto, that sounds amazing!
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you are looking for a pistol range for mostly static shooting, check out TriCounty in Saline.

Post46 has 2 bays for rifles/pistols and a longer rifle range that can also be used for pistols. The beauty of Post46 is they allow more dynamic shooting (including NFA stuff) as long as the member is being safe.
View Quote

I would want to practice dynamic drills and drawing from my holster. I guess I'll look at Post46 primarily.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Get your education and then GTFO. Save as much as you can and don't plant roots.

Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Get your education and then GTFO. Save as much as you can and don't plant roots.

View Quote

Why?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Both are pretty good. The restaurants in AA in the Northwest part of town around Main St. are the best food. South U. is primarily the cheap college food. Charley's has a burger night (Thursdays maybe? I've been gone for a while). About $8 will get you a huge bacon cheeseburger with fries.

Michigan is one of the best states for craft breweries. Traverse City has 10 craft breweries at are all pretty good. They also have a bunch of wineries. It's a great summer trip if you have the chance. I like to camp at the Traverse City State Park (was $27/night this summer) and ride my bike into town for the breweries and restaurants.

Like someone said, they're down on Ellsworth, near the airport. They may not give tours, but it's worth a shot.

Wandering through the Arboretum (The Arb) is nice and relaxing.

Tailgating for the football games is always a fun time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#15]

You could try Sharonville Shooting Range.  It's only about 30 minutes West of Ann Arbor and it's outside, and it's free.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Ypsilanti Sportsman's Club.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to Michigan, gravel pit up in lapeer, it's state land. Right down the road from the lapeer dragway. Happy shooting
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 2:30:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Welcome to Michigan, gravel pit up in lapeer, it's state land. Right down the road from the lapeer dragway. Happy shooting
View Quote

Great idea if he wants to spend two hours driving each way.

ETA:  Two hours might be a little exaggeration but Lapeer ain't exactly close.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#19]
The pit in Lapeer is a little over 80 miles from Ypsi. about 90 minutes. The slowest part of the trip is the AA traffic. See the map posted on this board.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 7:55:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Did anyone mention Henry Ford museum? In Dearborn off I-94 east of you.
Don't miss it while you're here.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Schupbach's is a half hour away in Jackson.  It is one on the largest gun stores in Michigan and a more worthwhile trip than cabelas.  There used to be a state DNR range near Grass Lake on Sharonville road.  Not sure of its status.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#22]
OP if your ever on the west side of the state send me a PM we could go to Centershot or Silver Bullet
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 6:24:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have lived in Ypsi for 25 years and have never heard of the Ypsilanti Sportsmans Club. Are you talking about the Washtenaw County Sportsmans Club? If so thats a members only club that averages about 10 new members every couple of years.

J-
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:56:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They're located on Ellsworth between State and Stone School.  I've toured EOTech as a friend of a friend sort of deal.  Unfortunately, there's not much to see.  They don't let you get real close to the manufacturing action.  I assume to protect trade secrets.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I used to work just down the street from EOtech at a machine shop,  and drove past it plenty...  I now work for a company in a similar market in Oregon (The one that starts with 'L')...  We give tours at work all through the manufacturing facility.  Probably a staffing issue, or don't want to risk an injury to a non-employee.  

Quoted:

I remember being a kid going to Blimpy.  The wait time sure got longer the older I got...  

I brew beer out here in Oregon.  Michigan is at least in the top 5 states for craft beer,  but Oregon is still #1 per capita for breweries and we grow most of the hops in the region.  Adventures in Homebrewing has equipment for a great deal though and I buy some stuff from them, having it shipped out here.  I still get better deals on ingredients here though...  

After I move back I'll have to invite a few of you over to try some of my beers.  I make some great stuff.  :D
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Have lived in Ypsi for 25 years and have never heard of the Ypsilanti Sportsmans Club. Are you talking about the Washtenaw County Sportsmans Club? If so thats a members only club that averages about 10 new members every couple of years.

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

Yes, Washtenaw Sportsman's Club. You do not have to be a member to compete in NRA sanctioned tournaments there.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes, Washtenaw Sportsman's Club. You do not have to be a member to compete in NRA sanctioned tournaments there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

I assumed that since he was looking for "Ranges" that he was looking to go shooting somewhere, not looking for NRA sanctioned tournaments.

J-
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:48:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I assumed that since he was looking for "Ranges" that he was looking to go shooting somewhere, not looking for NRA sanctioned tournaments.

J-
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

J-

J-

On wednesdays, Washtenaw has 600 yard rifle practice, open to the public for $5. You shoot ~20 rounds and then switch and pull targets for 20 rounds so your target puller can shoot his 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#28]
WSC wednesday practice will return next March during daylight saving time.

If the OP needs a 100 or 200yd range, hit me up.  WSC isn't far from campus.

Link Posted: 12/3/2014 2:43:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hey guys, Just moved to Ann Arbor for school and wanted to get suggestions on things to do, sights to see and where to shoot. I'd prefer an outdoor range on state land as opposed to a club, since I'm a poor grad student.

View Quote

Hope things are going well and you are enjoying all Michigan has to offer. The info in this thread is pretty great and well, I'm sure the student body is keeping you plenty busy.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Because it's cold here and the economy\government blows... lol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top