Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2014 8:40:26 PM EDT
Anyone have recommendations for moving companies in the Metro Detroit area to move a gun safe? Thought about having some buddies help but I'd rather the liability be on someone else if something goes wrong. I've seen those mechanical dollys that walk it up and down the stairs but I'm not sure My layout will work for that.

Haven't purchased a safe yet because I wanted to find a good moving company to come in and let me know if my floor plan is going to limit the size of safe I get.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Haven't purchased a safe yet because I wanted to find a good moving company to come in and let me know if my floor plan is going to limit the size of safe I get.
View Quote

So you're in the market to purchase and have a safe delivered, and not to have a safe you currently own moved elsewhere?

If you're buying a new safe, most businesses that sell safes will have delivery crews to put them in place. Why not use one of them that delivers safes all the time?

Also, before you purchase a safe, it's worth ensuring your stairs can handle the load. There has been more than one person on ARF that has had a brand new safe fall through their basement stairs. Make sure you have at least 3 stringers under the stairs; one on each end and one down the middle.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Mike & Lewis Piano Moving Engineers  
http://www.mipianomovers.com/

They are out of the Pontiac.

They picked mine up at the store and delivered it to my basement.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Moving safes isn't rocket surgery.  You just need to put some serious thought into weight distribution and control.  I use dollies but there strictly to give me something to put the lifting straps on.  And I always put something over the stairs, partially to protect them but more importantly something to distribute the weight.  The rest is in the rigging the bodies are just there to run the rigging and steer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have a safe yet. I've been doing a lot of research on them but the reality of what I want vs what i can afford, is a bitch lol I'm probably going to get a Cannon or Winchester from a big box store but they will only do curbside. And I'd rather have the liability on someone else as far as getting that sucker downstairs. I know you get what you pay for but I do also have a home alarm system that is monitored. That coupled with nosey neighbors, I feel relatively safe. I'm more worried about fire or a quick smash and grab than someone coming in and taking their sweet time working on breaking it open. Know what I mean?

As for supporting the stairs, just additional stringers or should I also reinforce with 2x4's? I'd rather overdo it and spend an extra $100 on lumber than watch my safe end up through the stairs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top