Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2014 10:25:04 PM EDT
I have a offer in on a house in Waterford, but the house is currently on municipal sewers and a shallow well. The well is from 1963, and fails its quality test. The house has a township water main in front of it. I  need an honest plumber who can give me a quote on the cost to run a new line inside the house to a meter, and from the meter to the property line for DPW to hook up to. If any of you are or know a plumber who does estimates that don't cost more than the repair, I'd appreciate the info! I need to get a rough estimate soon, and see if I can convince the seller to do the work or split the cost.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Id have the seller do it or I wouldnt buy the place.  Too much room for hidden costs.  What happens when they start digging and find a septic in the way or something else?  I realize its a sellers market but this could turn into a nightmare.   I grew up in waterford and cant recommend a good local plumber.  Not for a job like that.   This is a wild ass guess but is the house in southwest waterford near hospital road?
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:24:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The house is actually between Dixie and Hatcher, East of William's lake road. I am not real enthused about paying for it my self - In fact, I won't unless the seller takes a huge price cut, which isn't all that helpful since in would save me money in the long term but won't help pay for the work right now. I am going to ask the seller to fix it (these people will say no) and likely walk away from the deal, or the seller will try to 'shock' the well or other such bullshit that won't fix the problem. Its a damn same 'cause the house is almost perfect for me, barring some fairly onerous work that needs to be done (but I can do my self). I, however, cannot do this work.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Not certain but, my friend is in oakland county and just had his well shut down by the health dept, he contacted the county and they have a list of "approved contractors" with a set price for tap and run it in to the structure with meter... in other words you can only use one of thier contractors and the price is fixed. I would inquire with county hth
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:38:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I was recently told the current cost to excavate from the street to the house would be between $10.00 and $15.00 per foot. This includes the plumbing into the house before the meter. YMMV.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was recently told the current cost to excavate from the street to the house would be between $10.00 and $15.00 per foot. This includes the plumbing into the house before the meter. YMMV.

View Quote

Did you forget a 1 in front or a 0 at the end?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. I knew a guy that worked for a municipal water department. He gave me that number for contractors average. You think it is wrong? I never followed up with the person I passed the info on to to see if it was accurate or not.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No. I knew a guy that worked for a municipal water department. He gave me that number for contractors average. You think it is wrong? I never followed up with the person I passed the info on to to see if it was accurate or not.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that's $100  min for ten feet.  $500 for 50 feet.  Then more for the actual tap which is probably the most expensive part.

Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Contact the water department.  Waterford has an awesome water department and I'm sure they have a list of contractors that are on their good side.

Expect to pay about $1,500 to $2,000 project not accounting for any weird issues.  You can also check with the city what the hookup charges are, some cities are quite expensive due in part to subsidize the water main roll out.

BTW, you should keep your well, use it for gardening and irrigation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top