Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2014 9:41:02 PM EDT
I just established residency in Michigan, having relocated from Illannoy. Being the good citizen that I am, I went to the local police to register my handguns. It was the weekend, and a small town, so the police station wasn't open. Dispatch sent over an officer to pick up my papers.

Turns out I turned in the wrong papers. I gave them a "Pistol Sales Record" instead of a "Pistol Purchase Permit". The police chief calls me today and asks where I got the guns from. I told them I bought them when I was a resident in Illinois. He then tells me that I can't bring guns across state lines, and is a Federal offense. He says I was supposed to ship them from an FFL in Illinois to another FFL in Michigan. I told him that didn't make any sense at all and that I followed the instructions (although filled out the wrong form) from the MSP website.

He says that if I fill out the right form, and turn it in at Village Hall, there shouldn't be any trouble.

Is this guy nuts, or should I prepare my anus?

10/05/2014 UPDATE: So after some back and forth with paperwork that he mixed up, I finally have all of my stuff registered. The last form he messed up, so rather than just signing off with the clerk, I actually got to stand there while he entered the data right in front of me. He seemed like a pretty good guy. Was in full uniform, unlike the coat and tie that most police chiefs I have dealt with in the past. He even had a holdout piece in an ankle holster. Didn't expect that. He highly encouraged me to get my CPL and even recommended a good gun club in the area.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The Chief must be a democrat. If you already own them your fine. If you are purchasing out of state then yes they have to go through a dealer.

From the ATF website
Q: May a person who is relocating out of State move firearms with other household goods?
Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her State of residence.
Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check State and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new State does not violate any State law or local ordinance.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.28 and 478.31]

NRA Guide

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
What city / township did you move to?  Just curious.  Welcome to Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
... He then tells me that I can't bring guns across state lines, and is a Federal offense. He says I was supposed to ship them from an FFL in Illinois to another FFL in Michigan...
View Quote

Ask the chief to point out which federal law says you can't bring your own property across state lines (hint - there isn't one).

He's confusing that with a person buying one from a seller in another state.

Also, some interesting reading here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Another inquiring mind here... So please do tell OP.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wolverine Lake
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Wait.... did you go to the sheriffs office and they told you this?

If so, did you go to the branch office on glengary?  If you did, go to the real sheriffs office in Waterford.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wait.... did you go to the sheriffs office and they told you this?

If so, did you go to the branch office on glengary?  If you did, go to the real sheriffs office in Waterford.
View Quote

I went after hours to the Wolverine Lake PD office. They sent a Wolverine Lake officer. I'm going to stop by there tomorrow and see what the deal is. After more homework, I am more convinced that I am right and should only have to sign the purchase permit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Just mail the RI-060"s via Certified mail with signature confirmation

Or just email them straight from Adobe as you're filling them out in PDF
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:21:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just mail the RI-060"s via Certified mail with signature confirmation

Or just email them straight from Adobe as you're filling them out in PDF
View Quote

That's what I filled out, and the chief said I need to fill out a Purchase Permit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If you have a MI CPL (concealed pistol license) you can fill out the RI60 Pistol Sales Record yourself and mail it in. If not, you do have to get a "Permit to Purchase" for each gun from the PD. You fill it out putting your info as both the buyer and seller. Those are then turned back into the PD either in person or by mail. The reasoning being if you have a CPL you already went through a background check. If not, you need to have one done each time.

So, he is correct in that regard. Still way off on the crossing state lines thing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Technically he is correct. I would go to the sheriffs office. Law is ridiculous, and you wouldn't know it, unless you researched it.  Sheriffs office understands that. Will post it when I find it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry, for your issue...I learned the hardway in this state, only deal with counties, local depts have more different opinions then people in this state.
I finally took care of the problem with a cpl (concealed pistol license) one check every five yrs and your done on virtually all purchases.

PS dont tell wolverine pd i brought 20 firearms with me from FL lolol
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:15:46 PM EDT
[#13]
A CPL is very high on my to do list. Unfortunately,  I have to wait 6 months before I can apply for one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A CPL is very high on my to do list. Unfortunately,  I have to wait 6 months before I can apply for one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you had an IL concealed pistol license, you do not have to wait the 6 months. Although, it's unlikely you had one, I thought I woudl mention it.

(7) The concealed weapon licensing board shall issue a license to an applicant to carry a concealed pistol within the period required under this act after the applicant properly submits an application under subsection (1) and the concealed weapon licensing board determines that all of the following circumstances exist:

(b) The applicant is a citizen of the United States or is an alien lawfully admitted into the United States, is a legal resident of this state, and has resided in this state for not less than the 6 months immediately preceding the date of application. The concealed weapon licensing board may waive the 6-month residency requirement for a temporary license under section 5a(8) if the concealed weapon licensing board determines there is probable cause to believe the safety of the applicant or the safety of a member of the applicant's family is endangered by the applicant's inability to immediately obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol. If the applicant holds a valid concealed pistol license issued by another state at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established, the concealed weapon licensing board may waive the 6-month waiting period and the applicant may apply for a concealed pistol license at the time the applicant's residency in this state is established. The concealed weapon licensing board shall immediately issue a temporary license to that applicant. The temporary license shall be valid until the concealed weapon licensing board decides whether to grant or deny the application. For the purposes of this section, a person shall be considered a legal resident of this state if any of the following apply:
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Oakland Co pistol info

Yes, you have to do pistol purchase permits. And it is proper to go through the local PD; the county sheriff will likely decline to assist and refer you to them. Unless your city is patrolled by the sheriff directly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#16]
You can now get your pistol purchase permit at any agency in MI. You then return them to the same agency. List yourself as the transferor and transferee. Return the permits to the same agency that you got the permits from. If questioned, you tell them that you purchased them when you were a resident of IL and now you reside in MI.

Link Posted: 10/5/2014 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Update in my original post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top